The Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If you think they're bad...I happened to be in town as a neutral for a Kings @ Ducks playoff game a few years back...Kings fan were wayyyy worse...and in the Ducks' barn.

Interesting, Kings fans behaved up in Vegas last year. Even during the playoffs.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
Hey everyone. We drove down from Red Deer Alberta. Visited Phoenix last year and fell in love with the area. My boy is also a big Coyotes fan. Just curious about the Coyotes Practice facility? Is the Coyotes practice open to the public? When do they usually practice? We plan on going to an open skate at the Ice Den at some point during our trip here. Thanks in advance!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey everyone. We drove down from Red Deer Alberta. Visited Phoenix last year and fell in love with the area. My boy is also a big Coyotes fan. Just curious about the Coyotes Practice facility? Is the Coyotes practice open to the public? When do they usually practice? We plan on going to an open skate at the Ice Den at some point during our trip here. Thanks in advance!

Based upon the link below it sounds like you can watch the Coyotes practice sessions.

Official Practice Facility of the Arizona Coyotes

Reactions: kolankosf

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Is anyone interested in meeting up before the games on Thursday and Saturday? Is that something you do? I met one forum member by happenstance last time.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
If you think they're bad...I happened to be in town as a neutral for a Kings @ Ducks playoff game a few years back...Kings fan were wayyyy worse...and in the Ducks' barn.

This is totally on point. Kings fans post 2012 are the worst.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Hey everyone. Coming down with some friends for the Sharks game on Saturday. Any particular food/drink spots you recommend before the game. Seems
there are a lot of good options at Westgate. Also, any recommendations during the day Saturday in Phoenix? Flight gets in pretty early Saturday.

Conway96

Mar 28, 2010
Hey guys. We're coming to Phoenix in January for the Pens game. Do you think we'll be okay to buy tickets at the arena on game day or should we buy them ahead of time? There's 6 of us in total. Does Phoenix offer game day specials on tickets or anything like that? Thanks!

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Hey guys. We're coming to Phoenix in January for the Pens game. Do you think we'll be okay to buy tickets at the arena on game day or should we buy them ahead of time? There's 6 of us in total. Does Phoenix offer game day specials on tickets or anything like that? Thanks!

Don't know about game day specials, but I usually go with StubHub.

StubHub!

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Last night, Dad and I went to Majerle's Sports Grill at Chalder Fashion Center. (It's tragic that being a Suns fan since the 92-93 season, I can't remember Thunder Dan's last name. :( ) I had the Sir Charles Southwest Chicken Pasta dish. It's pretty good, but YIKES, the plate was large. If you guys have any recommendations for me if I go back to Majerle's, I would appreciate the tips.

SharksfaninLA

Feb 15, 2010
Hi Guys,
Just got tickets to come out and see a game soon. Is it actually cheaper to buy the parking ahead of time or are the parking prices the same when you arrive for the game?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hi Guys,
Just got tickets to come out and see a game soon. Is it actually cheaper to buy the parking ahead of time or are the parking prices the same when you arrive for the game?

Have you booked a hotel yet? If you're in the Renaissance, Hampton, or Home2 (or one other that escapes me) you're in easy walking distance.

SharksfaninLA

Feb 15, 2010
Have you booked a hotel yet? If you're in the Renaissance, Hampton, or Home2 (or one other that escapes me) you're in easy walking distance.
Thanks, we're staying on the other side of town closer to family we are there to see. So we will be driving to the arena.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi Guys,

Parking at Westgate is $10 which is refunded via voucher if you visit selected establishments. If you arrive early enough you can beat parking lot crew.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hey guys, hope this gets seen here.

I'm planning on relocating to the Phoenix area relatively soon, although no date in mind. It's dependent on finding a job there first.
In any case, I'm trying to gather information on good area to look at apartments. Assuming the company I'm currently talking to ends up being the one, the job would be located on E Jefferson St, halfway between Chase Field and I-10. I'd like to find a decent neighborhood about 30ish minutes max from the job.

A little about me, if it helps:
I'm 26, and although I don't want to live in a constant party, I'd like to be in a neighborhood that has some people my age (25-30) if possible, though certainly not required.
Along with that, being close to nightlife would be nice, though again, not required.
The main things I'm looking for are being in an area with relatively low crime, and maybe a "middle income" location. The rent range I'm looking for is 800-1100, if that helps to show what I'm aiming for.

I found one place online that looks nice and is within my price range (I found more than one, but this one is my top choice as of now). It's located by what looks like Westwood Heights, Woodbridge, Alhambra, etc. Basically on the corner of W Glendale Ave and N 19th Ave, east of I-17. If that means anything to anyone, it would be nice to know if that matches my basic safety requirements, or anything else.

If not, I'm open to suggestions. Again, my biggest concern is just being in an area with relatively low crime. The night life and age things are just bonus.

Also, if anyone else has any other tips for relocating or living in the Phoenix area, I'd love to hear them. I'm very much looking forward to relocating.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I found one place online that looks nice and is within my price range (I found more than one, but this one is my top choice as of now). It's located by what looks like Westwood Heights, Woodbridge, Alhambra, etc. Basically on the corner of W Glendale Ave and N 19th Ave, east of I-17. If that means anything to anyone, it would be nice to know if that matches my basic safety requirements, or anything else.

Also, if anyone else has any other tips for relocating or living in the Phoenix area, I'd love to hear them. I'm very much looking forward to relocating.

I actually used to work not far from there in the 00s, and had a pied a terre next door to my office (25th Ave / Dunlap ) that I'd stay at a couple nights a week... although I think it's a little better now with the arrival of the light rail, my initial impression of where you're looking with respect to safety would be something along the lines of "ehhhhhh" ... witness this map from 2016: https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/Documents/2016 UCR Yearly Violent.pdf . And also https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/Documents/2016 UCR Yearly Property.pdf

I don't pretend to know where the 20-somethings like to live nowadays...but I have noticed on the far side of the airport from your possible new office, between it and downtown Tempe, a *ton* of new apartment construction along the light rail. No idea if it'll be in your price range or not, but Tempe would seem to be a lot more potentially 'fun' than north Phoenix.

For what it's worth, I was in your exact shoes when I moved here 25 years ago in my 20s, and was helped by people in internet sports forums, so thought I'd at least try. If it's possible, and if you haven't already done so, come out for a weekend and do nothing but scout the area for housing. It helped me a lot.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I actually used to work not far from there in the 00s, and had a pied a terre next door to my office (25th Ave / Dunlap ) that I'd stay at a couple nights a week... although I think it's a little better now with the arrival of the light rail, my initial impression of where you're looking with respect to safety would be something along the lines of "ehhhhhh" ... witness this map from 2016: https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/Documents/2016 UCR Yearly Violent.pdf . And also https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/Documents/2016 UCR Yearly Property.pdf

I don't pretend to know where the 20-somethings like to live nowadays...but I have noticed on the far side of the airport from your possible new office, between it and downtown Tempe, a *ton* of new apartment construction along the light rail. No idea if it'll be in your price range or not, but Tempe would seem to be a lot more potentially 'fun' than north Phoenix.

For what it's worth, I was in your exact shoes when I moved here 25 years ago in my 20s, and was helped by people in internet sports forums, so thought I'd at least try. If it's possible, and if you haven't already done so, come out for a weekend and do nothing but scout the area for housing. It helped me a lot.

Thank you, those charts are awesome. I appreciate it. And I'll look into that area between the airport and Tempe.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Thank you, those charts are awesome. I appreciate it. And I'll look into that area between the airport and Tempe.
I don't pretend to know the current trends in the Phoenix area in terms of rent, crime, night life. As a visitor, I always kind of liked the Tempe/Mesa area, so that might be a good place to start. Locals can give you more specifics, but that's a decent area from my travels (10 years ago).

On the other hand, since you're renting, just look for something affordable, centrally located, and low crime to start. Pack (unpack) light and explore for a year or two once you move to find a better area.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't pretend to know the current trends in the Phoenix area in terms of rent, crime, night life. As a visitor, I always kind of liked the Tempe/Mesa area, so that might be a good place to start. Locals can give you more specifics, but that's a decent area from my travels (10 years ago).

On the other hand, since you're renting, just look for something affordable, centrally located, and low crime to start. Pack (unpack) light and explore for a year or two once you move to find a better area.

Yeah this was kind of my general thinking. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't choosing a REALLY bad area. The crime map above that Dirty Old Man posted was super helpful!

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Hey guys, hope this gets seen here.

I'm planning on relocating to the Phoenix area relatively soon, although no date in mind. It's dependent on finding a job there first.
In any case, I'm trying to gather information on good area to look at apartments. Assuming the company I'm currently talking to ends up being the one, the job would be located on E Jefferson St, halfway between Chase Field and I-10. I'd like to find a decent neighborhood about 30ish minutes max from the job.

A little about me, if it helps:
I'm 26, and although I don't want to live in a constant party, I'd like to be in a neighborhood that has some people my age (25-30) if possible, though certainly not required.
Along with that, being close to nightlife would be nice, though again, not required.
The main things I'm looking for are being in an area with relatively low crime, and maybe a "middle income" location. The rent range I'm looking for is 800-1100, if that helps to show what I'm aiming for.

If not, I'm open to suggestions. Again, my biggest concern is just being in an area with relatively low crime. The night life and age things are just bonus.

You should base your decision on 1) Traffic - it can be pretty bad from the east valley. 2) Stores around where you’re thinking to live. Go there and see the people there. Some places look nice but Parts of the area have a good area and right around the corner is low income housing.

Pool. Find a place with a pool. You’ll thank me come summer time.

Far west valley is so removed from everything that it’s almost isolationist.

Whatever you do, don’t find a place by your work. Chandler, Scottsdale, Tempe, and a few parts of Mesa are good.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You should base your decision on 1) Traffic - it can be pretty bad from the east valley. 2) Stores around where you’re thinking to live. Go there and see the people there. Some places look nice but Parts of the area have a good area and right around the corner is low income housing.

Pool. Find a place with a pool. You’ll thank me come summer time.

Far west valley is so removed from everything that it’s almost isolationist.

Whatever you do, don’t find a place by your work. Chandler, Scottsdale, Tempe, and a few parts of Mesa are good.

So just a quick update since I’m still getting replies.

I’m going down there Saturday for a few days to check it out, I also have an interview scheduled at a place just west of the 101, north of downtown Scottsdale.

I’m looking at apartments largely in the Tempe/Mesa area, some in the area northwest of the Phoenix Zoo, north of the 202 and east of the 51, and some in North Phoenix, between like W Bell Rd and W Cactus Rd.

I’m trying to find a balance between not being too far from work, but still being closeish to night life and entertainment. I haven’t bothered looking at stores on Google maps, I figure I’ll do that when I’m touring the apartments this weekend. I’m going with someone, and we plan to just drive around a lot with no destination in mind, just checking out the different areas.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I’m looking at apartments largely in the Tempe/Mesa area, some in the area northwest of the Phoenix Zoo, north of the 202 and east of the 51, and some in North Phoenix, between like W Bell Rd and W Cactus Rd.

I’m trying to find a balance between not being too far from work, but still being closeish to night life and entertainment. I haven’t bothered looking at stores on Google maps, I figure I’ll do that when I’m touring the apartments this weekend. I’m going with someone, and we plan to just drive around a lot with no destination in mind, just checking out the different areas.

Apartments in North Phoenix between Bell and Cactus are nice because they're close to places like North Scottsdale food/nightlife (Scottsdale Rd. and Frank Lloyd Wright/Bell), Desert Ridge Marketplace, etc. They can be pricey, though, and the farther west you go in that area to lower the price, the less appetizing it gets - by the time you get past Tatum Blvd., the diminishing returns aren't worth it.

The area NW of the zoo you describe is a total crapshoot. You can go from really nice to really sketchy really quickly.

Tempe and Mesa have some good areas but they're not exactly central once you get away from the ASU area.

Reactions: AKL

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort

Are there game day scalpers outside the arena? Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Are there game day scalpers outside the arena? Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

There are, but they seem to be getting fewer (this isn't exactly a great market for a scalper to flip tickets for a profit, usually). Which is fine with me, frankly. Way easier to just whip out the smartphone and get a ticket on stub hub or whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad