OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Resuming sports right now is on par with sending kids back to school in person this fall, imo. I get why, but I find it highly dubious that this has to happen. I love sports and will watch every game when the Bruins come back, but I also get that this is the players taking on a huge risk for my entertainment, and I haven't reconciled that piece of it yet.

Most of the NHL players, particularly the American ones, are going to be safer in closed hubs in Canada than they would be just hanging out in their usual places of residence.

I feel for the players in terms of being separated from their families and having to live in gilded cages, 100%, but in terms of their health they're currently in just about the safest place in North America they can be, short of going to live in the countryside. Yes there is still some risk, but it's far from 'huge' IMO.

Now what baseball is attempting is a completely different matter...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ya I mean why would we want to be extra careful when our country is the epicenter of a global pandemic that has killed over 140,000 Americans? A total joke, so laughable!

It’s not like we live with a bunch of morons who haven’t cared about this since March or anything

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Swimmer killed Monday in suspected shark attack off Maine vacation spot, state says

Looks like a white shark thought a lady in Maine was a seal. Sad.

Sounds like a white shark attack, apparently the lady went flying and then kayakers retrieved her but it was too late. They usually hit seals from the bottom with some major force and then circle until they bleed out. Sounds like she was swimming then got hit by a freight train with big, sharp teeth

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Swimmer killed Monday in suspected shark attack off Maine vacation spot, state says

Looks like a white shark thought a lady in Maine was a seal. Sad.

Sounds like a white shark attack, apparently the lady went flying and then kayakers retrieved her but it was too late. They usually hit seals from the bottom with some major force and then circle until they bleed out. Sounds like she was swimming then got hit by a freight train with big, sharp teeth

This would be the first fatal shark attack in Maine’s history.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Ya I mean why would we want to be extra careful when our country is the epicenter of a global pandemic that has killed over 140,000 Americans? A total joke, so laughable!

It’s not like we live with a bunch of morons who haven’t cared about this since March or anything
yes. people are idiots in this country. thats why i dont have neighbors and live in the sticks.
but kids should definitely be starting school on time here. why the extra 10 days?
i dont get it. what possibly can they accomplish in 10 days?
my daughter has been over friends houses all summer anyways. parks, pools, packed walmarts and target etc. shes probably safer in school.

we donate so much money and supplies to my daughters teachers each year. if they decide togo remote they will never see another dime from us. not even a pencil. and trust me, in my area id say 80% agree with what i just said.

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah well if they go remote they probably don’t need the money for your kids supplies (which comes out of their pocket while we continue to defund public education while paying them inadequately)

and idk what to tell you. I’m not gonna tell you how to parent. It’s a pandemic that should be taken seriously and the fact that some don’t take it seriously at this point is just downright pathetic. I’m not even sure opening up schools is appropriate

Btw MLB can’t last 4 days without a major outbreak and they make 10 billion in revenue a year, what on earth makes you think some tiny public school has the resources to manage hundreds of kids and keep everybody safe? It’s not going to happen, it’s a terrible idea

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yeah well if they go remote they probably don’t need the money for your kids supplies (which comes out of their pocket while we continue to defund public education while paying them inadequately)

and idk what to tell you. I’m not gonna tell you how to parent. It’s a pandemic that should be taken seriously and the fact that some don’t take it seriously at this point is just downright pathetic. I’m not even sure opening up schools is appropriate

Btw MLB can’t last 4 days without a major outbreak and they make 10 billion in revenue a year, what on earth makes you think some tiny public school has the resources to manage hundreds of kids and keep everybody safe? It’s not going to happen, it’s a terrible idea

Even with unlimited resources, it's children we are talking about. Not in a "what about the children!?" aspect (although obviously that's a concern) but my point is more that kids are gross. Their hands and faces are perpetually covered in all things gross. So yeah, let's throw them into a building where everyone is touching the same surfaces, seeing their other grubby friends for the first time in 6 months, and oh let's expect underpaid overworked teachers to keep a lid on all of it.

It's never happening. Delay it 10 days, delay it 10 weeks, no amount of planning will ever be enough until there's a vaccine and/or cases drop SHARPLY.

Reactions: lopey and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Even with unlimited resources, it's children we are talking about. Not in a "what about the children!?" aspect (although obviously that's a concern) but my point is more that kids are gross. Their hands and faces are perpetually covered in all things gross. So yeah, let's throw them into a building where everyone is touching the same surfaces, seeing their other grubby friends for the first time in 6 months, and oh let's expect underpaid overworked teachers to keep a lid on all of it.

It's never happening. Delay it 10 days, delay it 10 weeks, no amount of planning will ever be enough until there's a vaccine and/or cases drop SHARPLY.

Spot on my friend. Kids are walking balls of filth and dirt. Expecting them to distance themselves from each other is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Whomever is suggesting this with a straight face has either never had kids or had enough money to pay other people to watch and raise their kids for them. Either way, letting woefully uninformed folks make the decision to put our children at risk needlessly is stupid.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Spot on my friend. Kids are walking balls of filth and dirt. Expecting them to distance themselves from each other is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Whomever is suggesting this with a straight face has either never had kids or had enough money to pay other people to watch and raise their kids for them. Either way, letting woefully uninformed folks make the decision to put our children at risk needlessly is stupid.

I don't have kids, but do you know how I know that kids won't wear a mask all day and social distance in school?

Because I watch adults all day who can't even do it! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

so what do they do with the kids with no internet during the day. no printer. no parents because of work no tablet etc. its gonna be a major shitshow either way.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I don't have kids, but do you know how I know that kids won't wear a mask all day and social distance in school?

Because I watch adults all day who can't even do it! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
true. i was gonna send my daughter with just the sheild anyways . masks inside a school with no AC is torture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad