OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Made a protein smoothie today and I underestimated how filling they are.

Today was peach-raspberry.

I am trying the Healthy Harvest smoothies later this week.

If you have any smoothie recipes please post em.

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
While I don't doubt NBA players are violating rules, I don't think we will have to worry about the NHL guys.

I think we do.
They arent that different from the general population when it comes to a variety of personality and beliefs. If a player or team associate goes outside the bubble or has someone brought in wont surprise me in the least. Especially as time goes on.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Posted it in the MLB thread, but the Marlins supposedly knew about the positive tests and held a team meeting to decide if they should play yesterday, which they did. What a shit show.

Reactions: Spooner st

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Posted it in the MLB thread, but the Marlins supposedly knew about the positive tests and held a team meeting to decide if they should play yesterday, which they did. What a shit show.
Sun Sentinel reported this goes back to the Braves, so why are the Phillies involved hereand can't go to Yankee Stadium, if those suspected were out

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Yep...it's not only the players it's everybody involve... like Wally said...they're exactly like the general population...lots of dum as f***.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
After watching what happened with the Marlins, I wonder if sports coming back now is the right thing to do.

I hear you, Lonnie. I agree with arguments on both sides of the coin. Obviously, money is the driving force behind the decision, but the psychological impact of having some semblance of normalcy is probably immeasurable. At what cost, though? Tough tough times.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I hear you, Lonnie. I agree with arguments on both sides of the coin. Obviously, money is the driving force behind the decision, but the psychological impact of having some semblance of normalcy is probably immeasurable. At what cost, though? Tough tough times.

Resuming sports right now is on par with sending kids back to school in person this fall, imo. I get why, but I find it highly dubious that this has to happen. I love sports and will watch every game when the Bruins come back, but I also get that this is the players taking on a huge risk for my entertainment, and I haven't reconciled that piece of it yet.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

great to see you posting.

What drives me nuts is that I truly dont believe it has to be an either or thing.
I think here , we the people, have made it that. Just lunacy.
The middle can be reached by complying with a few simple adjustments to life.
To me thats the only avenue now and the foreseeable future to reach semblance of normalcy.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Resuming sports right now is on par with sending kids back to school in person this fall, imo. I get why, but I find it highly dubious that this has to happen. I love sports and will watch every game when the Bruins come back, but I also get that this is the players taking on a huge risk for my entertainment, and I haven't reconciled that piece of it yet.

Lots of us share that sentiment.

Reactions: LSCII

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
great to see you posting.

What drives me nuts is that I truly dont believe it has to be an either or thing.
I think here , we the people, have made it that. Just lunacy.
The middle can be reached by complying with a few simple adjustments to life.
To me thats the only avenue now and the foreseeable future to reach semblance of normalcy.

Couldn’t agree more. And the key word in your post is “middle”. People are choosing sides and just digging in. It has overcomplicated a situation that could have- and should have- been managed differently. I’ve seen sides of people that I never wanted to see. I’m just glad my family and most of my close friends have done the right thing.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
Starring Errol Flynn

My mother used to call me Errol Flynn when I was a kid. Every time I was faking sick to get a mental health day off as a yute she somehow was on to me and would call me Errol Flynn.

She would give us this bell to ring whenever we were sick and I’d hit the couch on my Flynn-like symptom days drinking ginger ale ice cream floats starting with Major Mudd right thru to Dark Shadows

Whenever I watch a movie, I spend an inordinate amount of time, either during or after, researching information on the actors, director, filming locations, etc. I think it’s safe to say that Mr. Flynn would have had a hard time finding work in this era.

Reactions: DKH

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I still would go through with it but proceed with caution regarding it. It’s in a bubble if the players follow the rules they have a fighting chance of pulling it off. MLB so much flying in and out makes it difficult. I would be stunned if they finish but I hope they do. Football can because it’s once a week , less travel plus byes . IMO

It's the traveling that's going to kill the baseball season. I don't know why MLB & MLBPA didn't try to set up some type of bubble arrangement.

Oh wait, yes I do know...they're too busy trying to f*** each over to accomplish anything worthwhile :rant:

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
It's the traveling that's going to kill the baseball season. I don't know why MLB & MLBPA didn't try to set up some type of bubble arrangement.

Oh wait, yes I do know...they're too busy trying to f*** each over to accomplish anything worthwhile :rant:

I'm confused by the MLB thing. Did they not expect there to be outbreaks among the players who have no bubble expectations? You'd think they would have had a plan. I have a suspicion they knew all along they didn't want to/couldn't do a season and will be cancelling it shortly after this pretend good faith effort.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
If they can perform their job from home, there's really no reason to require non-essential employees to go into the office, especially ones that rely on public transportation to get there.

Yeah I think Google and many companies wanted this transition to wfh regardless of the virus or not. It will be interesting to see what economic effects result especially in cities and places like silicon valley where there won't be much reason to pay 5k a month for a 2 bedroom at that point. Local city economies may never recover. Also remember a lot of the wfh jobs are high paying white collar essential positions, very easy to move them. The non essentials are just losing their jobs. Every office building with secretaries and admin staff are just letting them all go by the teens of thousands.

Last edited:

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass

It’s a mess. It’s that plain and simple. But I still want the sport played .. while everybody has health of course. Let’s see what happens this week. Taxi squad comes into effect three games in.. Lets be realistic if sports don’t go into some type of bubble they don’t have a chance. With it, they have a fighting chance. Again I’m taking it day by day with sports. I’m hoping it works out but I’m not cocky about it.. we need it ,don’t you people want me complaining about the second line and saying bruins aren’t physical enough lol lol.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

I agree. I’m also wondering why as a non essential employee who can do his job from home i’m going in as much as I am..as are others..

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree. I’m also wondering why as a non essential employee who can do his job from home i’m going in as much as I am..as are others..

Yeah, it makes zero sense. Especially now with MA seeing a little uptick in cases. I'd prefer they go back to phase 2 and be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad