OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer III - The Fours may reopen after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Some people do not get this. The guy who lives across the street from me got the virus and was on a ventilator.
He spent some time in a nursing home and now is home. He looks like he has aged 20 years and his heart and lungs are damaged for life.

See I think most people do get this. And being good friends with a number of doctors who work in local hospitals (Boston area), the overwhelming majority of people who test positive for this either never knew they had it or shake it off like a cold.

There are obviously way too many people with underlying conditions hit particularly hard by this, and that sucks, but I do think people understand that. There's no reason that perfectly healthy people need to lose a second's sleep over this, other than to do their best not to transmit it. And I don't understand why that isn't a way bigger story, instead of all this "hey did you know this could be really bad?" stuff the news insists on. A little context. I acknowledge it varies by area, of course, but seems like it's badly lacking where I live.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I caved and put the heat on. I was shivering even in a long sleeve tshirt sweat pants and a hoodie.

I've got a mild concussion from a fall over a week ago and the shivering was only making the headaches worse.

I'm not ready for the cold.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
My mail-in ballot was mailed on Friday. We'll see how long it takes for me to receive it.

I turned off notifications on my phone for all news apps (except the BBC, but I don't get a notification unless it's monumental) and social media.

My head and heart hurt right now. Being alone in the house, separated from family doesn't help.

It's not a complete break. I'll allow myself to check Facebook once every couple days, and I'm sure I'll read news here and there... But it should help.

I don't like it. I feel like being informed and engaged is important, especially these days. But I'm aware that my mental state hasn't been what it normally is.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Some people do not get this. The guy who lives across the street from me got the virus and was on a ventilator.
He spent some time in a nursing home and now is home. He looks like he has aged 20 years and his heart and lungs are damaged for life.

Sadly we won't know for 20-30 years how much damage this virus has affected younger people.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Trying to juggle distance learning with twin 5 year olds on speech IEP’s, each with their own ipad. Between getting onto google meets, adjusting fidgety kids and camera angles, mute buttons and feedback with two close range devices, I’m spent. Already.

but a highlight when introducing our dog, Zdeno, which no teacher has ever pronounced correctly, one of my boys yells out “he old and he can’t see so he bonk he head every time”

the mouths of babes

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
See I think most people do get this. And being good friends with a number of doctors who work in local hospitals (Boston area), the overwhelming majority of people who test positive for this either never knew they had it or shake it off like a cold.

There are obviously way too many people with underlying conditions hit particularly hard by this, and that sucks, but I do think people understand that. There's no reason that perfectly healthy people need to lose a second's sleep over this, other than to do their best not to transmit it. And I don't understand why that isn't a way bigger story, instead of all this "hey did you know this could be really bad?" stuff the news insists on. A little context. I acknowledge it varies by area, of course, but seems like it's badly lacking where I live.
I believe this statement is incorrect.

A woman I work with got it and had NO underlying conditions. She is OK but per her doctor has some scaring on her lungs. It is NOT the usual flu or cold. Also she gave it to her husband who does have lung issues.

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Trying to juggle distance learning with twin 5 year olds on speech IEP’s, each with their own ipad. Between getting onto google meets, adjusting fidgety kids and camera angles, mute buttons and feedback with two close range devices, I’m spent. Already.

but a highlight when introducing our dog, Zdeno, which no teacher has ever pronounced correctly, one of my boys yells out “he old and he can’t see so he bonk he head every time”

the mouths of babes
Its basically 1 hour of school work. 6 hours of zoning out on zoom. poor kids. Ive had to burn 2 days off to witness this garbage. The work couldve have easily been done at different times.

Reactions: TD Charlie

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

The NFL didn't have one positive after last week....no bubble...no lockdown....2500 plus players and coaches and not one case. Like you said for many it is no big deal except in rare instances (like all things)... The news is in a doomsday cycle...they continually bring up the mass outbreak in Maine when in reality thousands and thousands of those same gatherings took place without one case.

Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Its basically 1 hour of school work. 6 hours of zoning out on zoom. poor kids. Ive had to burn 2 days off to witness this garbage. The work couldve have easily been done at different times.

Yep. I hate it already. A 5 year old can't be expected to focus on school like this, it's just not feasible. They see laptop and immediately they think "Games. Youtube." Then add the fact that they are home, and it's "Where are my toys and stuffed animals?"

My 8 year old is coping, emphasis on the coping. Even that upsets me. Kids are being forced into growing up WAY TOO FAST and forced to grasp adult concepts and concerns. They're not allowed to be kids right now

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The NFL didn't have one positive after last week....no bubble...no lockdown....2500 plus players and coaches and not one case. Like you said for many it is no big deal except in rare instances (like all things)... The news is in a doomsday cycle...they continually bring up the mass outbreak in Maine when in reality thousands and thousands of those same gatherings took place without one case.

I think this is an interesting point at first blush, but when you dig into it, you can see how it varies from real life. The players may not all collectively be in a bubble like the NHL and NBA did, but they are in their own team like bubble. They also travel on charter flights that are not commercial, so the exposure risks are minimal there. The only real exposure risks they face are the staff at the facility, the airplane, the opposing teams, and their families.

As I lay that out there, the risk factor is higher than I expected, so it will only be a matter of time before someone trips a positive test. Not saying it will shut things down, but merely that it's the law of averages coming into play. MLB had it rough earlier, but really hasn't had much of a problem since, which I think the NFL can use as a template for handling it if it happens. I also think that it will get worse as we get colder, and as they decide to let fans back in to attend games. Either way, it should be a very interesting fall.

Reactions: Alicat and Ladyfan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yep. I hate it already. A 5 year old can't be expected to focus on school like this, it's just not feasible. They see laptop and immediately they think "Games. Youtube." Then add the fact that they are home, and it's "Where are my toys and stuffed animals?"

My 8 year old is coping, emphasis on the coping. Even that upsets me. Kids are being forced into growing up WAY TOO FAST and forced to grasp adult concepts and concerns. They're not allowed to be kids right now

My soon to be 12 year olds struggled with remote, but my 8 year old had no issues. She'd log in every morning, do her assignments and then play with her friends online. Probably took her about 2 hours of work a day and the rest was fun time. My oldest, it was like pulling teeth to get her to log in. Even when she did, each teacher assigned their work in a very inconsistent manner, and arbitrarily. Some would do it weekly, others would do it last second. So your kid would check, do whatever works was there, and log off, only to have a teacher go in an throw up a random homework assignment on Friday afternoon. I think it's going to be a little more consistent this time around, but not nearly streamlined enough at this point. They've had 3 delays already and my kids don't start remote learning until the 28th.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think this is an interesting point at first blush, but when you dig into it, you can see how it varies from real life. The players may not all collectively be in a bubble like the NHL and NBA did, but they are in their own team like bubble. They also travel on charter flights that are not commercial, so the exposure risks are minimal there. The only real exposure risks they face are the staff at the facility, the airplane, the opposing teams, and their families.

As I lay that out there, the risk factor is higher than I expected, so it will only be a matter of time before someone trips a positive test. Not saying it will shut things down, but merely that it's the law of averages coming into play. MLB had it rough earlier, but really hasn't had much of a problem since, which I think the NFL can use as a template for handling it if it happens. I also think that it will get worse as we get colder, and as they decide to let fans back in to attend games. Either way, it should be a very interesting fall.

One way or the other somethings gonna give soon. The damn will explode. I just don't know which direction.

Reactions: LSCII

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My soon to be 12 year olds struggled with remote, but my 8 year old had no issues. She'd log in every morning, do her assignments and then play with her friends online. Probably took her about 2 hours of work a day and the rest was fun time. My oldest, it was like pulling teeth to get her to log in. Even when she did, each teacher assigned their work in a very inconsistent manner, and arbitrarily. Some would do it weekly, others would do it last second. So your kid would check, do whatever works was there, and log off, only to have a teacher go in an throw up a random homework assignment on Friday afternoon. I think it's going to be a little more consistent this time around, but not nearly streamlined enough at this point. They've had 3 delays already and my kids don't start remote learning until the 28th.

Yeah it's really difficult to navigate for everyone. Students, teachers, parents, admin. I think, I hope, everyone agrees on that. Nobody asked for this situation.

It's just so upsetting to know that a lot of kids aren't equipped to learn like this, and for no fault of their own. They're kids FFS. It's really gonna put a huge contingent of kids so far behind once traditional learning resumes. We're all doing the best we can but it's the kids that need the most help that will suffer the most. That's heartbreaking to type out.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

yup. its pretty much just filler zoom time to justify their jobs as a full school day. My daughter is 7 and they zoom for everything. They even have to zoom for music. That involves trying to find the music zoom link and then zooming for music. The 40 minutes they had for music The danced for 2 minutes and then rhe music teacher had them draw pictures with the friggin mouse pad of a chromebook. pathrtic.
Ill also add im only realy bitching this much because myself and wife cant work from home. We are losing work days for this and eventually will have to take days without pay.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I caved and put the heat on. I was shivering even in a long sleeve tshirt sweat pants and a hoodie.

I've got a mild concussion from a fall over a week ago and the shivering was only making the headaches worse.

I'm not ready for the cold.
I put my heat on too. I am old . I also know that when I am tired I get cold more easily. I am old and tired.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I put my heat on too. I am old . I also know that when I am tired I get cold more easily. I am old and tired.

I've been tempted to turn our pellet stove on because it's been so cold, but I can't. It's too early and it's going to warm back up starting tomorrow. Plus, I really don't want to deal with the dryness that the stove brings because I have to get a new filter for the humidifier and the stove without the humidifier is miserable.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I tried to hold out until October 1 like I usually do but it has been unusually cold at night here, so on went the heat last night.

Monday morning it was 34F at my house, way too cold for this time of year :brrr:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I tried to hold out until October 1 like I usually do but it has been unusually cold at night here, so on went the heat last night.

Monday morning it was 34F at my house, way too cold for this time of year :brrr:

I assume that was outside the house?? :laugh:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I've been tempted to turn our pellet stove on because it's been so cold, but I can't. It's too early and it's going to warm back up starting tomorrow. Plus, I really don't want to deal with the dryness that the stove brings because I have to get a new filter for the humidifier and the stove without the humidifier is miserable.
i cleaned out the woodstove and chimney sunday.
still no heat use yet. was down to 30 degrees sunday. 57 in the house. that heat isnt going on until at least mid october. might start the woodstove up though if it gets chilly ahain like sunday was.

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->