Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

:surrender

and people wonder why I will NEVER retire to Florida

Florida Sheriff Orders Deputies And Staff Not To Wear Face Masks

The sheriff in a central Florida COVID-19 hot spot has issued a directive prohibiting deputies, staff and visitors to department offices from wearing protective face masks, an order that came as a local mayor and city council squared off over a mask ordinance for businesses.

Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods sent an email Tuesday informing the approximately 900 people working in the department that "when you are on-duty/working as my employee and representing my Office – masks will not be worn," the Ocala Star-Banner reports.

Woods added that "effective immediately, any individual walking in to any one of our lobbies (which includes the main office and all district offices) that is wearing a mask will be asked to remove it."

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I lost my 8 year old adopted lab mix 2 weeks ago. He had blood in his urine, I called my vet very worried. They thought it might have been a bladder infection. He stopped eating on Friday, got weaker and on Sunday he could barely stand. Carried him to my car and drove to an emergency vet hospital. Waited outside in my car, mask on, they came and put him on a gurney and brought him in and put him on IV. 50 minutes later they called and said he had a large tumor in his stomach that had spread and there were a lot of blood in the stomach. They recommended that I put him to sleep because he was really hurting and I said yes bawling my eyes out. Spent 30 minutes with him in a room before they gave him the 2 shots. Cried a lot, we had really bonded during the shutdown. I also lost my big baby boy in march of 2019, he was 14 1/2 and he's in my avatar. Went into a deep depression after that that ended when I adopted Carlito in Sep of last year and now he's gone too.

Love my dogs..
So sorry, it's always painful to lose a loved one...I can't imagine 2 in a very short span. I feel your pain.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Went on a sunset ride on the Cycleboat in Boston Harbor last night for an end of summer outing and friends birthday celebration.

Boston sure showed off last night.

704A14E7-6AD9-48A8-95FF-BA7DCDB3493A.jpeg
332FD745-2BAD-4C40-91B4-EC83AAD51EEC.jpeg
ED3F6D5F-E190-45BD-9E77-BB9AD222BA0F.jpeg
81E01CF9-0E9A-4323-88E0-0D376A56C503.jpeg

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The True Coronavirus Toll in the U.S. Has Already Surpassed 200,000

Nationwide, 200,000 more people have died than usual since March. This number is about 60,000 higher than the number of deaths that have been directly linked to the coronavirus.

As the pandemic has moved south and west from its epicenter in New York City, so have the unusual patterns in deaths from all causes. That suggests that the official death counts may be substantially underestimating the overall effects of the virus.

When the coronavirus first took hold in the United States in March, the bulk of deaths above normal levels, or “excess deaths,” were in the Northeast, as New York and New Jersey saw huge surges.

The Northeast still makes up nearly half of all excess deaths in the country, though numbers in the region have drastically declined since the peak in April, according to a New York Times analysis of estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But as the number of hot spots expanded, so has the number of excess deaths across other parts of the country. Many of the recent coronavirus cases and deaths in the South and the West may have been driven largely by reopenings and relaxed social distancing restrictions.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Happy National Left-Handers Day! Cookies for all my fellow lefties, whoever you are. Roll call! :)

best-sellers-cookie-tin-10-pack.2ef56c6db58944960bb36e0694740e84 (1).jpg

Reactions: BMC

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Was talking to my most well-off friend this weekend (not sure what he makes but I wouldnt be surprised if its >500k/yr); he and his wife have decided to keep their small place in the city but buy a house a lot further out as (at least) a weekend getaway instead of dropping serious $ for a 'perminant' place in NYC. He thinks he'll be able to work remote forever after this, though she won't have the same luxury.

Basically, it's changed his entire life plan (early 30s, married recently, starting to plan kids). I'm sure he's not the only one.

Well, having lived in a small (under 5,000 year round residents) shoreline town for 14 years, and when I was a lot younger in a VT ski town (shout out to West Wardsboro!!), one thing I can tell you is it can be one helluva culture shock coming in from the big city.

Like one restaurant in town open in the winter. Having to drive to neighboring towns just to get basic supplies. That life is basically shut down until the next “in season” comes along. I’ve seen a lot of city folks pull their hair out with boredom with that, other adjust quickly. But it’s radically different than a 24/7 place like NYC....

Reactions: Bocephus86

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Was talking to my most well-off friend this weekend (not sure what he makes but I wouldnt be surprised if its >500k/yr); he and his wife have decided to keep their small place in the city but buy a house a lot further out as (at least) a weekend getaway instead of dropping serious $ for a 'perminant' place in NYC. He thinks he'll be able to work remote forever after this, though she won't have the same luxury.

Basically, it's changed his entire life plan (early 30s, married recently, starting to plan kids). I'm sure he's not the only one.
Here's hoping it helps make cities like Boston places where working families can live comfortably again. We gave up on buying a while ago when prices were insane, and they've only become worse since.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
So sorry, it's always painful to lose a loved one...I can't imagine 2 in a very short span. I feel your pain.

Thanks for all the nice condolences, I really appreciate this, it helps. I am also happy that the Bruins beat the Hurricanes. :) I just wanted to say that I applied to adopt a dog called Cactus Jack from Texas, where they have kill shelters. So local rescue people in TX foster these dogs so they can be shipped to states like Oregon and Washington where we don't have those shelters. I got approved to adopt him last night and he will be shipped to Portland in September. He's a typical mutt in appearance and a very nice dog according to his foster mom who thinks he's a shepherd/hound/pit mix.. Look at those ears.. :)
Good with kids, cats and other dogs and a real couch potato.

upload_2020-8-13_10-36-56.png

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Thanks for all the nice condolences, I really appreciate this, it helps. I am also happy that the Bruins beat the Hurricanes. :) I just wanted to say that I applied to adopt a dog called Cactus Jack from Texas, where they have kill shelters. So local rescue people in TX foster these dogs so they can be shipped to states like Oregon and Washington where we don't have those shelters. I got approved to adopt him last night, and he will be shipped to Portland in September. He's a typical mutt in appearance and a very nice dog according to his foster mom who thinks he's a shepherd/hound/pit mix.. Look at those ears.. :)

View attachment 360830

Congrats with being selected to adopt. Good luck with your new best friend.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for all the nice condolences, I really appreciate this, it helps. I am also happy that the Bruins beat the Hurricanes. :) I just wanted to say that I applied to adopt a dog called Cactus Jack from Texas, where they have kill shelters. So local rescue people in TX foster these dogs so they can be shipped to states like Oregon and Washington where we don't have those shelters. I got approved to adopt him last night and he will be shipped to Portland in September. He's a typical mutt in appearance and a very nice dog according to his foster mom who thinks he's a shepherd/hound/pit mix.. Look at those ears.. :)

View attachment 360830
Good to hear, I'm happy for you. Cactus Jack will be really happy with a friend like you.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

View attachment 360830

In our lifetime we have always adopted from shelters. Good on you!
Nothing like a mutt needing and finding a home.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Is it normal to feel woozy hours after getting a cortisone shot? I feel like I got hit by a Mac truck.
In my case, yes I do until next morning. For the pain it depends on the severity of it versus the dosage given. In my case it takes a few days until its pain free, and lasts for about 4 to 6 weeks.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Is it normal to feel woozy hours after getting a cortisone shot? I feel like I got hit by a Mac truck.

I used to get cortisone shots for my birch tree allergies back in Sweden many years ago. I can't recall that I felt woozy but I guess that is individual. However I stopped when I read that there could be some serious side effects, now I use nasal spray and pills and it works pretty good and that is the way I have dealt with it for the last 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->