OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I think Dire Straits is very underrated

Mark Knopfler is a top 10 guitarist of all time. An amazing player. Like Eddie Van Halen, the first time you hear him, you wonder what he's doing to get that sound. Then you see him play, and it's just his fingers, amazingly fast and nimble, but still just his fingers.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'd have Van Halen and AC/DC above them, but the Police were an incredible band. They stopped early, so I think that adds to their mystique and fans wanting more. I'm a huge Dire Straits fan and Mark Knopfler fan in general, but they really only had 1 huge album here in America, so I get why they're not listed.
Mark K. and Dire Straits are underrated. He is unique.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I saw the Police only once, the Synchronicity tour....absolutely outstanding!

Saw Eric Clapton a few times....... one of the times this was his band:

Dunno the bass players name, but he sang like Jack Bruce
Ray Cooper on Percussion
Chuck Leavell on piano
Phil Collins on drums
and the second guitarist?
Mark Knopfler!

Still pinching myself.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Ray Cooper on Percussion
Chuck Leavell on piano
Phil Collins on drums
Mark Knopfler!

Still pinching myself.

That's a hell of a show. I saw Clapton back in the late 80's at Greatwoods (when it was actually called Greatwoods) and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. And that was without an all star lineup like you saw. Crazy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That's a hell of a show. I saw Clapton back in the late 80's at Greatwoods (when it was actually called Greatwoods) and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. And that was without an all star lineup like you saw. Crazy.
I did as well - probably at same show

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Ray Cooper on Percussion
Chuck Leavell on piano
Phil Collins on drums
Mark Knopfler!

Still pinching myself.

Saw Clapton at the Garden around 99. My sister in law and I, plus her 10 year old son. The funniest part of the night was when my nephew got up to go to the bathroom during the first 10 seconds of In the Presence of the Lord. Said it was "Too boring". I imagine he was standing at the urinal just when Clapton let loose the solo that peeled the paint off the Garden walls.

Silly millennials.

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
Mark Knopfler is a top 10 guitarist of all time. An amazing player. Like Eddie Van Halen, the first time you hear him, you wonder what he's doing to get that sound. Then you see him play, and it's just his fingers, amazingly fast and nimble, but still just his fingers.

Ever hear "Neck and Neck", his duet album with Chet Atkins?

Guitar magic.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
By the way, since we are talking music, I was introduced to this video on a guitar group I belong to. It's from late last year, but it fits these times to a T. I watch it almost every day, and it makes me smile (and sometimes choke up). An amazing version of one of my favorite songs of all time (Robbie Robertson is a national treasure) and Ringo, a drummer, asking what key it's in cracks me up everytime.

Ladies and gentlemen, The Weight.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Ray Cooper on Percussion
Chuck Leavell on piano
Phil Collins on drums
Mark Knopfler!

Still pinching myself.
Saw Clapton at Great Woods (I will always call it that although I know the name has been changed)

Also saw Sting there. He had Branford Marsalis and Kenny Kirkland playing with him. What a great sound . It was his Nothing Like the Sun tour.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I live 10 minutes from Great woods, I’m really missing concerts...
When they first opened you could buy a 5 pack. I was 3 rows from the stage for 4 of the five concerts ( I sold Jimmy Buffet).

I saw lots of good stuff there.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I live 10 minutes from Great woods, I’m really missing concerts...

Seen so many shows there. The Eagles, CSN, CSN&Y, Clapton, Jimmy Buffet, Tom Petty, Stevie Miller Band, and on and on. Really haven't been to many shows since my kids were born though, so it's not like I'm missing it in a I haven't been to a show in a year kind of way right now, but I still miss going to shows in general.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
When they first opened you could buy a 5 pack. I was 3 rows from the stage for 4 of the five concerts ( I sold Jimmy Buffet).

I saw lots of good stuff there.

Best shows I saw at Great Woods were Peter Gabriel and the Cure. Funny, the Cure was also the worst show I ever saw there. But the good show was so good, my girlfriend, who complained about having to go "see those weirdos" the whole ride down, ended up leaping from our seats in the second row to the stage trying to grab Robert Smith's leg.

Reactions: LSCII and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Best shows I saw at Great Woods were Peter Gabriel and the Cure. Funny, the Cure was also the worst show I ever saw there. But the good show was so good, my girlfriend, who complained about having to go "see those weirdos" the whole ride down, ended up leaping from our seats in the second row to the stage trying to grab Robert Smith's leg.
I saw Tom Petty there a number of times. He was great always but the tour with Dylan was amazing.
I saw Crosby ,Stills and Nash and Young in a different concert ( I have seen them many times) ....Joe Walsh. .All at Great Woods.

edit...also saw James Taylor there and Jackson Browne.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Seen so many shows there. The Eagles, CSN, CSN&Y, Clapton, Jimmy Buffet, Tom Petty, Stevie Miller Band, and on and on. Really haven't been to many shows since my kids were born though, so it's not like I'm missing it in a I haven't been to a show in a year kind of way right now, but I still miss going to shows in general.

I’m good for at least 2 or 3 a season, more depending on the acts..

Off the top of my head I’ve seen Bob Seger, sting, Fleetwood Mac, Alman Brothers, Metallica, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Jimmy Buffett, Van Morrison, Ozzy, Guns N’ Roses, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, just tons of shows...lots of country shows my wife wanted to see...

I need to go find the ticket stub box and jog my memory..

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’m good for at least 2 or 3 a season, more depending on the acts..

Off the top of my head I’ve seen Bob Seger, sting, Fleetwood Mac, Alman Brothers, Metallica, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Jimmy Buffett, Van Morrison, Ozzy, Guns N’ Roses, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, just tons of shows...lots of country shows my wife wanted to see...

I need to go find the ticket stub box and jog my memory..

Yeah, I've been to so many concerts that I forget quite a few unless I really think about it. Best fight I've ever seen at a concert was at a Buffett show of all places. Was so totally out of sorts for that show and the vibe it typically has that I remember it vividly. It was out on the lawn and these two dudes went nuts on each other. lol

Reactions: Therick67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->