OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Masks May Reduce Viral Dose, Some Experts Say

Different kinds of masks “block virus to a different degree, but they all block the virus from getting in,” said Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease physician at the University of California, San Francisco. If any virus particles do breach these barriers, she said, the disease might still be milder.

Unfortunately our society is so litigious that governments can't advise people to wear masks for their own safety, so we have this posturing that we should wear masks to protect others. And we should. But the fabrics aren't one way materials. The non medical masks aren't perfect, but they are certainly some protection.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I have to ask.
Did you get there? How were they?
i did. got there at 9am.
got 6. ate 1 and brought the rest home during break.
they are really good. but i ate mine at 9am and couldnt eat or drink anything after it until i got home around 5pm. Thsts how filling it was.
this is what i got there.
20200807_084314.jpg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
As you can see I have temporary generator power!!!! The guy who lives upstairs hauled out an old one he had and got it running. Hopefully it will continue to run as Eversource says no power here until Tuesday at the earliest.

What a clusterf***. IMO in its estimate for potential storm damage Eversource clearly did not take into consideration the many thousands of trees weakened by drought and gypsy moth infestation- instead of needing a 50 mile an hour gust to knock them down it only took 20-30 mile an hour gusts. Up the road from me a large tree was blown down by a gust no more than 30 miles an hour. It struck a pole and knocked it over in turn. You'd never guess by looking at it from the outside that the tree was dead. Someone came by with a chain saw and cut up enough of the tree so one car at a time can get through- you could see that it was hollowed out a great deal inside.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As you can see I have temporary generator power!!!! The guy who lives upstairs hauled out an old one he had and got it running. Hopefully it will continue to run as Eversource says no power here until Tuesday at the earliest.

What a clusterf***. IMO in its estimate for potential storm damage Eversource clearly did not take into consideration the many thousands of trees weakened by drought and gypsy moth infestation- instead of needing a 50 mile an hour gust to knock them down it only took 20-30 mile an hour gusts. Up the road from me a large tree was blown down by a gust no more than 30 miles an hour. It struck a pole and knocked it over in turn. You'd never guess by looking at it from the outside that the tree was dead. Someone came by with a chain saw and cut up enough of the tree so one car at a time can get through- you could see that it was hollowed out a great deal inside.

Actually saw a story on Canadian news that emergency electrical workers from Ontario and Quebec were denied permission to cross the border to help.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
338,000 kids were COVID tested between July 16 and the 30th. 97,000 tested positive.

97,000 children reportedly test positive for coronavirus in two weeks as schools gear up for instruction | News Break

And the US is pushing to open schools? What idiots are behind that plan.

Lockdown all of the USA until we can manage what is happening.

I could answer this for you, but it would run afoul of the no politics rule...:laugh:

My town voted for hybrid, with an option to opt out and do full remote. We're going full remote because we don't feel its safe at the moment and that these decisions are not being made taking into account the science.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I could answer this for you, but it would run afoul of the no politics rule...:laugh:

My town voted for hybrid, with an option to opt out and do full remote. We're going full remote because we don't feel its safe at the moment and that these decisions are not being made taking into account the science.

Sounds like you live in a smart town. It's a shame you can't speak the truth or your opinion.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sounds like you live in a smart town. It's a shame you can't speak the truth or your opinion.

I do live in a small town. Didn't grow up in one, but definitely love small town life now. Reverse commute to work when I have to go in the office too. And yeah, it's sad that people cannot handle a difference of opinion on politics without getting worked up.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Actually saw a story on Canadian news that emergency electrical workers from Ontario and Quebec were denied permission to cross the border to help.

I hadn't heard/seen that.

The state public utility commission is going to investigate Eversource's handling of the situation. Like that's going to fix anything. :eyeroll:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
338,000 kids were COVID tested between July 16 and the 30th. 97,000 tested positive.

97,000 children reportedly test positive for coronavirus in two weeks as schools gear up for instruction | News Break

And the US is pushing to open schools? What idiots are behind that plan.

Lockdown all of the USA until we can manage what is happening.
Meanwhile today’s globe has Baker pushing to open schools as he pushes to stop the reopening of the economy.. talk about mixed messages in the headlines, to say nothing of the policies.

Attachments

• 09938775-C3BA-43A7-A970-8170E6FD23C9.png
    09938775-C3BA-43A7-A970-8170E6FD23C9.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Speaking of Alaska.....here’s a photo of the Juneau airport.

The salmon fishing was epic, by the way....

Flying home today.

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-8_12-57-51.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-8_12-57-51.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 5

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sparse populations. Which is why a national lockdown isn't needed. No sense killing the economy in places where the virus has had minimal impact.

Must be heaven to have so much distance between you and your neighbors that social distancing is a way of life...:laugh:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well another day.

I had to bring my two cats (Luna and Pippin) for their yearly check up and shots. I put out the cat carriers a few days ago. This morning while they were eating I closed all doors so they couldn't hide. I chased them down and got them into their carriers. The vet is only 3 miles but they both were crying all of the way there.

You have to sit in your car.

A car pulled up next to me an a woman was crying. They brought out an urn of her dog's ashes. I rolled down my window and told her I was so sorry....made me cry. It wasn't long ago that I went through that with Frodo.

Tonight is my usual Sat night. My neighbor (who has been working from home since Feb) and I will order out and watch the Crown.

Sigh. I hope the B's can pull of a win tomorrow

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
So you would lockdown Wyoming? They've had 28 deaths.

Alaska? They've had 23 deaths.

Montana? 75 deaths.

That is what a National plan does, everyone is in the plan. I don't think it will happen. Dr Fauci thinks it should happen but won't.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Well another day.

I had to bring my two cats (Luna and Pippin) for their yearly check up and shots. I put out the cat carriers a few days ago. This morning while they were eating I closed all doors so they couldn't hide. I chased them down and got them into their carriers. The vet is only 3 miles but they both were crying all of the way there.

You have to sit in your car.

A car pulled up next to me an a woman was crying. They brought out an urn of her dog's ashes. I rolled down my window and told her I was so sorry....made me cry. It wasn't long ago that I went through that with Frodo.

Tonight is my usual Sat night. My neighbor (who has been working from home since Feb) and I will order out and watch the Crown.

Sigh. I hope the B's can pull of a win tomorrow

I lost my 8 year old adopted lab mix 2 weeks ago. He had blood in his urine, I called my vet very worried. They thought it might have been a bladder infection. He stopped eating on Friday, got weaker and on Sunday he could barely stand. Carried him to my car and drove to an emergency vet hospital. Waited outside in my car, mask on, they came and put him on a gurney and brought him in and put him on IV. 50 minutes later they called and said he had a large tumor in his stomach that had spread and there were a lot of blood in the stomach. They recommended that I put him to sleep because he was really hurting and I said yes bawling my eyes out. Spent 30 minutes with him in a room before they gave him the 2 shots. Cried a lot, we had really bonded during the shutdown. I also lost my big baby boy in march of 2019, he was 14 1/2 and he's in my avatar. Went into a deep depression after that that ended when I adopted Carlito in Sep of last year and now he's gone too.

Love my dogs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad