The new Brendan Dillon

polmaniac932

Mar 25, 2006
San Jose
www.youtube.com
Sharks hockey has been a bag of "meh" so far this year, so I thought I'd focus on a positive.

I am honestly amazed at the transformation Brendan Dillon has made since our Cup Final run. This guy was a boulder with wheels, and he's all of a sudden become a strong-skating defenseman capable of carrying the puck.

He has been one of our strongest d-men to start the year. I think he makes top-4 on a lot of teams in the league. If we had this BD in '16, we win the cup.

Or am I crazy?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks hockey has been a bag of "meh" so far this year, so I thought I'd focus on a positive.

I am honestly amazed at the transformation Brendan Dillon has made since our Cup Final run. This guy was a boulder with wheels, and he's all of a sudden become a strong-skating defenseman capable of carrying the puck.

He has been one of our strongest d-men to start the year. I think he makes top-4 on a lot of teams in the league. If we had this BD in '16, we win the cup.

Or am I crazy?

You’re not crazy in saying that he’s improved or that he can be on the top-4 on a lot of teams in the NHL but replacing the 2016 Dillon with the current version absolutely would not get us over the hump against Pittsburgh. Replacing Roman Polak with Erik Karlsson would, though.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yup as someone who used to be very unimpressed with Dillon, he has certainly changed my opinion about him. He is very useful member of this team, and has been IMO our most consistent (not the best) defender all year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’ve been very pleased with him this year, honestly. Knows his role, doesn’t make mistakes, and brings a physical element that we otherwise lack on the blueline. Seems like a glue guy in the room too. I’d rather get rid of Braun than Dillon (although both are probably gone if we can keep Karlsson).

polmaniac932

Mar 25, 2006
San Jose
www.youtube.com
Yup as someone who used to be very unimpressed with Dillon, he has certainly changed my opinion about him. He is very useful member of this team, and has been IMO our most consistent (not the best) defender all year.
I can't remember another player in a Sharks uniform who had a trajectory like his. He had an okay first several years with the team, seemed to fit the mold of one of those Nieminen/Nichol types who we'd grab for a short period then toss because they just didn't fit the system. BD has instead just totally changed the way he played, and not that early on in his career. It's pretty interesting to see how late this change happened, and it wasn't an incredibly gradual one.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I can't remember another player in a Sharks uniform who had a trajectory like his. He had an okay first several years with the team, seemed to fit the mold of one of those Nieminen/Nichol types who we'd grab for a short period then toss because they just didn't fit the system. BD has instead just totally changed the way he played, and not that early on in his career. It's pretty interesting to see how late this change happened, and it wasn't an incredibly gradual one.

How old do you think dillon is? Dillon is right dead center in the middle of his prime years.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
He's at the perfect age, yes, but what I mean is that I feel 28 is quite late to transform the way you play the game, but I'm guessing you disagree :) Can't think of many players who have done that.

He didnt make the change at 28 though. He has been 28 for all of a week.

I remember him being very critical of his skating ability after the cup run and during the next camp revealed he worked a lot on his skating over the summer. He was 25 during the cup run. While i agree in concept that is "late" to change a style, but you also have to remember that he knew if he didnt make that change he would be struggling to find a job in the NHL. slow, lumbering dman who dont make a great first pass are not hot commodities

jarr92

May 7, 2013
You also have to remember that he knew if he didnt make that change he would be struggling to find a job in the NHL. slow, lumbering dman who dont make a great first pass are not hot commodities

Dillon is at least a #6D on every team in the league except maybe Nashville and has been good every time he has been paired with a puck mover. The only time he has really sucked in SJ is when he was paired with Roman Polak.

The big difference this year is he is paired with Karlsson. That’s it.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Dillon is at least a #6D on every team in the league except maybe Nashville and has been good every time he has been paired with a puck mover. The only time he has really sucked in SJ is when he was paired with Roman Polak.

The big difference this year is he is paired with Karlsson. That’s it.

Dillon is way better than Dan Hamhuis who is Nashville’s #3 on the left side. He would easily crack their top-6. Agreed on the rest.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
So who goes now? braun or dillion during the summer. Assuming we sign EK.

Given age and trade value, i think you keep Dillion and get more for Braun during trade.

I dont know if thats the right move tbh, also we know Deboers hard on for the Vlasic/Braun pairing.

Also after seen how Vlasic acted after we traded Demelo, I cant imagine his reaction to us dumping Braun.

It will be interesting.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
maybe for a scoring forward but as a d man he hasnt hit prime age yet
Yeah this was kinda my thought as well. D-men typically don't really hit their stride until near 30. Experience and conditioning become more important when they aren't offensive studs. The other thing is that when people talk about players being set in their abilities in their 20's it just sounds naive to people who are a lot older than that.

Reactions: BCShark

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He's at the perfect age, yes, but what I mean is that I feel 28 is quite late to transform the way you play the game, but I'm guessing you disagree :) Can't think of many players who have done that.

It isn't really considering the league has changed a lot since dillon entered the league and even in the past few years since he joined the sharks.

His old style worked early in his career, but now it doesn't and like others have said earlier its a good sign that he has learnt that he needed to up his speed and ability to play with the puck.

Dillon was never bad defensively, it was just that he was big and slow and the league was skating past him and quickly.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Dillon was never really all that bad. He always excelled when he had the right partner. He, like every other defenseman on our roster, struggled with certain partners - even if those partners were “better” players than the guys that he played with.

Right now, I think Dillon is playing well enough with Erik Karlsson that Vlasic is expendable.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad