The new and improved concussion thread II - Hockey Hall of Famer Henri Richard had stage 3 CTE at time of death, study finds

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:cry:

Retired goalie Tim Thomas details brain damage from hockey - Sportsnet.ca

WASHINGTON — Former NHL goaltender Tim Thomas said Thursday that his post-concussion syndrome symptoms were so severe that he couldn’t make basic decisions and his brain wasn’t functioning well enough to even watch hockey.

In his first public appearance since walking away from the game, Thomas said a scan taken after he retired showed that two-thirds of his brain were getting less than 5% blood flow and the other third was getting less than 50%. The 45-year-old said it took significant time and help to even be able to communicate with former teammates and others.

He’s still not close to normal.

“I wake up every day and basically I have to reorder everything in my mind for the first couple hours of the day and then make a list and try to make some choices to get some stuff done,” Thomas said before being inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

Boston Bruins and was named playoff MVP. He played parts of 10 NHL seasons before retiring in 2014 but said his experiences made him question if it was all worth it.

“It taught me a value for life and a value for my brain that I’ve never had before,” Thomas said. “And I have appreciation for everything that I never had before. I don’t regret anything.”

Long considered reclusive, Thomas said he lived in the woods for a couple of years because he couldn’t handle human interaction. He got a chance to talk to some old teammates at a game Wednesday nights between the Bruins and Washington Capitals.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Who's next on the NHL rental market? - Sportsnet.ca

NHL Alumni Executive Director Glenn Healy is keeping the specific details quiet, but, on Dec. 7, there was a lengthy meeting at the NHL’s Toronto offices with 15-plus alumni. With them were the organization’s top doctors in neurology, pain management, psychology and overall player health. There is a lot of debate and discussion about post-playing-career care for those who need it. This kind of get-together is going to be critical to making sure things get better.

And perhaps have impact on upcoming/ongoing CBA negotiations (WRT funding future care for alumni).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall

On Friday, a federal court judge threw out a case against Pop Warner brought by two mothers whose sons died in tragic circumstances, ruling too many other factors other than Pop Warner could have been the culprits. The sons’ brains were diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, a brain-wasting disease linked popularly to football.

Almost sounds like a "big data" problem (search through enough data, you might find a pattern).

Will CTE ever get its day in court?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I just don't get why we're blaming team owners for this. Isn't the medical profession at fault here? It literally says they were cleared by doctors. David Backes came back this year after he went to a 3rd party doctor who cleared him. Do you expect Bettman to step in and say 'sorry David, I know better than the doctors, you can't play'?

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Stick Tap to @dafoomie for alerting us to this article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/sports/cte-bennet-omalu/

Omalu’s definition for CTE, as described in his published papers, is incredibly broad and all-encompassing, describing characteristics that can be found in normal, healthy brains, as well as in other diseases, according to experts including Ann McKee, lead neuropathologist for Boston University’s CTE Center.

“His criteria don’t make sense to me,” McKee said. “I don’t know what he’s doing.”

McKee’s assessment was supported by three neuropathologists who worked with her to develop guidelines for diagnosing CTE used by researchers around the world.

“My God, if people were actually following [Omalu’s] criteria, the prevalence of this disease would be enormous, and there’s absolutely no evidence to support that,” said Dan Perl, one of those experts and professor of pathology at the Uniformed Services University.

McKee and other experts confirmed, in interviews, something that long has been an open secret in the CTE research community: Omalu’s paper on Mike Webster — the former Pittsburgh Steelers great who was the first NFL player discovered to have CTE — does not depict or describe the disease as the medical science community defines it.

McKee and other experts believe Webster had CTE, based on his history of head trauma and his mental disorders. But the paper Omalu published shows images that are not CTE and could have come from the brain of a healthy 50-year-old man, they said.

“This is the problem,” McKee said. “People lump me with him, and they lump my work with him, and my work is nothing like this.”

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Concussions in football: What we know about CTE

New study.

In 2018, a study published in the Annals of Neurology found that each year an athlete played tackle football before age 12 predicted earlier onset of CTE symptoms by an average of two and a half years, but there was no association with symptom severity.

It’s not just the NFL however. A 2015 study revealed 35 NHL players between 1995 – 2014 whose careers were cut short due to concussions to the total cost of $117,191,045. The player with the most concussions was Dean Chynoweth of the Boston Bruins with 13.

“We’ve had people that have had many concussions but at autopsy the brain looks normal,” said Tator. “Other people get 10 or 12 concussions and they got it. There’s a huge variation as to the susceptibility of a concussion.”

Sigh.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
NHL players encouraged to play through concussion symptoms, Montador lawyer says

To quote:

"The National Hockey League is deceiving retired, current and future players by continuing to downplay the long-term health risks of repeated brain trauma, lawyers for the estate of former NHL player Steve Montador allege in new court filings.

“The NHL is not honest or upfront with its players,” William Gibbs, a lawyer for Montador’s estate, wrote in documents filed Feb. 28 in U.S. district court in Chicago.

The documents were filed in connection with a request made by the NHL in January for summary judgement in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Montador's family. If the NHL's request is granted, a judge would make a ruling and the case would conclude without depositions or a trial. Montador's lawyers are fighting the NHL’s motion.

Gibbs wrote that multiple scientific studies over the past decades have established a link between repeated brain trauma and neurocognitive diseases and disorders, such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE"

Source: www.tsn.ca/nhl-players-encouraged-to-play-through-concussion-symptoms-montador-lawyer-says-1.1451429

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
NHL wants Dryden to turn over materials from Montador book

To quote:

"The Montador family’s lawsuit against the NHL was put on hold for four years while the NHL fought a proposed class-action lawsuit filed by more than 100 former NHL players. Now that there is a settlement in that case – which bars nearly 300 former players and their families of pursuing legal action in the future in exchange for a $22,000 (U.S.) per player settlement – Montador’s case is moving forward.

“Dryden’s book includes numerous details about Montador that are relevant to plaintiff’s allegations in this case,” the NHL wrote. “Dryden details physical injuries such as concussions and other hits Montador sustained, including prior to his NHL career, as well as resulting symptoms, fights involving Montador both before his NHL career and outside of playing hockey, drug and alcohol use, including before his NHL career, depression, anxiety and other sources of personal stress, including complicated personal relationships, Montador’s research or knowledge regarding concussions or their effects, including conversations about his brain health, financial losses, large expenditures and potential investments, alleged memory loss or forgetfulness.”"

Source: www.tsn.ca/nhl-wants-ken-dryden-to-turn-over-materials-from-steve-montador-book-1.1490775

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Book about former NHLer Joe Murphy a manifesto for change

To quote:

"The book reports that Murphy had a six-hour assessment done by a neuropsychologist in California who concluded, “Based on the patient’s neuropsychological testing, there is evidence to suggest organic brain injury whish is likely the residual of repetitive concussions sustained during his professional athletic career…In all medical probability, Mr. Murphy has suffered cognitive and probably psychological injuries as a direct result of the physical injuries sustained during the course and scope of his employment as a professional hockey player in the NHL.”

“I don’t if you call it a smoking gun or what you want to call it,” Westhead told TheHockeyNews.com. “But this is the big thing everyone is looking for. If you recall in Mike Peluso’s case, the NHL was quick to say, ‘It’s because of self-medication and drinking.’ And here was a doctor saying, ‘No, it’s the repeated brain trauma that he had from hockey that has led him, in large part, to where he is today.’”

Source: www.si.com/hockey/news/book-about-former-nhler-joe-murphy-a-manifesto-for-change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad