The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He has awful draft year stats. Overagers do not tend to be valued highly and a ppg season is not that impressive for one.

There's also the fact that he is not really that big, and probably does not have a great defensive game.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Lowkey hoping we move out someone who isn't needed for the future (possibly Gardiner with Dermott replacing him), for a first round pick minimum, and whoever we get the pick from somehow bottoms out. Imagine how much HF would implode.

Matthews
Tavares
Kadri
Hughes

I think that *I* would implode.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews
Tavares
Kadri
Hughes

I think that *I* would implode.
Teams have gotten way smarter about trading picks with protections put on them.

Hughes would be a nice LWer for us.

To be honest, if we got a pick near the top 10, the guy I would be hoping for is Matthew Boldy.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Is Alex Vlasic anything like his cousin? The size is there, and he is ranked right about where we need him to be.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I like the bio on Ben Brinkman

He's playing in the NCAA this year as a 2000 birthday, he sounds toolsy with quality skating

I like defensive prospects like that in the mid to late 20's

Reactions: uncleben

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
You know.. Murray and Vukojevic are C rated according to the NHL, so a trade back might look awfully good.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You know.. Murray and Vukojevic are C rated according to the NHL, so a trade back might look awfully good.
Neither has been that impressive lately. Murray looked horrible in the first Sudbury game of the year. And, for a guy who is supposed to be a comparable to Hayton in that regard, they trust David Levin PKing over him.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Neither has been that impressive lately. Murray looked horrible in the first Sudbury game of the year. And, for a guy who is supposed to be a comparable to Hayton in that regard, they trust David Levin PKing over him.
Trust me I know, I've watched every one of his shifts closely, but it is 5 games in so you never know, and you can't drop a guy from 1st rounder to C in five games. Here's hoping he turns it around, but seriously, Levin on the PK had every fan in the arena cringing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Trust me I know, I've watched every one of his shifts closely, but it is 5 games in so you never know, and you can't drop a guy from 1st rounder to C in five games. Here's hoping he turns it around, but seriously, Levin on the PK had every fan in the arena cringing.
I think he was a fringe guy entering the year (20-40). But, I think the start combined with from what I can gather was a bad Hlinka camp has knocked him back. I'd say he deserved a 'B' grade to start. 'C' is a bit extreme.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I like the bio on Ben Brinkman

He's playing in the NCAA this year as a 2000 birthday, he sounds toolsy with quality skating

I like defensive prospects like that in the mid to late 20's

Apparently has questionable hockey IQ. I'm considering him a guy in the mid-2nd round to early-3rd right now. A big season in the NCAA could bump him into the top 40 though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This is my top 40 right now (not necessarily in the listed order):

Top 5
C Hughes
C/RW Cozens
LD Broberg
RW Kaako
RW Podkolzin

Top 10
C Turcotte
C Newhook
C Dach
C Suzuki
RW Kaliyev

Top 25
LD Vlasic
LD Bowen
LW Boldy
C Zegras
RD M. Robertson
LD York
LW/C Krebs
LW/RW Cajkovic
C/RW Lavoie
RW Williams
C Guskov
LD Knyazev
LD Bjornfot
RD Soderstrom
RD Korczak

Top 40
LW Foote
RW Caufield
LW Poulin
LW Hoglander
G Knight
LD Vukojevic
C/RW McMichael
LD Harley
C/RW Donovan
RD Seider
C/RW Zaitsev
LD Mironov
RW Gutik
C/LW Spiridonov
C/LW Nussbaumer

In case people are worried about me forgetting about him, I have Honka outside of the top 40 for a reason. He's small, not an exceptional skater, and has questionable defensive decision making and skills in general. Very high upside, but some of the biggest bust potential in the draft as well. I had trouble filling this out, with a lot of guys I thought were good 2nd/3rd round guys but not top 40. Also, Mutala, Kokkonen, Aaltonen, and Grewe are guys I purposely left off as well.

Anybody I should consider adding?

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Would be nice to draft another high end D or 2 to add to Sandin and Liljegren Who should I be following?
I think its time we take a winger. We're going to need cost controlled ELC wingers, and Sandin + Lilly + Durzi makes a very solid D prospect group,, with two potentially in the NHL next year. Regardless though, go BPA.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think its time we take a winger. We're going to need cost controlled ELC wingers, and Sandin + Lilly + Durzi makes a very solid D prospect group,, with two potentially in the NHL next year. Regardless though, go BPA.
Any specific players (regardless of position) that you like so far that are projected 20-31?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
What do you guys think of Vukojevic and Korczak? Based solely and scouting reports they sound interesting.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What do you guys think of Vukojevic and Korczak? Based solely and scouting reports they sound interesting.
Probably 2nd rounders. Not sure Vujokevic has the offensive upside you want that high. Haven't seen much of Korczak outside the Hlinka. I thought he was good but not great there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->