The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bob McKenzie dropped his top 20 for 2019 today. Here it is.

A bit surprised at the rankings.

1: Jack Hughes
2: Dylan Cozens
3: Kaapo Kaako
4: Vasili Podkolzin
5: Kirby Dach
6: Bowen Byram
7: Phillip Broberg
8: Raphael Lavoie
9: Peyton Krebs
10: Ryan Suzuki
11: Matthew Robertson
12: Alex Turcotte
13: Cam York
14: Alex Newhook
15: Matthew Boldy
16: Arthur Kaliyev
17: Matvei Guskov
18: Cole Caufield
19: Trevor Zegras
20: Alex Vlasic

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Bob McKenzie dropped his top 20 for 2019 today. Here it is.

A bit surprised at the rankings.

1: Jack Hughes
2: Dylan Cozens
3: Kaapo Kaako
4: Vasili Podkolzin
5: Kirby Dach
6: Bowen Byram
7: Phillip Broberg
8: Raphael Lavoie
9: Peyton Krebs
10: Ryan Suzuki
11: Matthew Robertson
12: Alex Turcotte
13: Cam York
14: Alex Newhook
15: Matthew Boldy
16: Arthur Kaliyev
17: Matvei Guskov
18: Cole Caufield
19: Trevor Zegras
20: Alex Vlasic

I haven't really been looking at top 20 rankings

I think either our first is getting traded or its going to be in the 20-30 range (hopefully)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I haven't really been looking at top 20 rankings

I think either our first is getting traded or its going to be in the 20-30 range (hopefully)
I'm always paying attention, things can always change. I don't expect to draft top 20, but guys are going to shift throughout the year. Look at Bob's list last year.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-year-of-swedish-defencemen-1.852963

One top 5 guy Veleno was available at 25 and 29. A bunch of the guys he had in the 10 to 20 range we passed on (at 25 by trading down and not taking them at 29) such as McIsaac, Woo, and McLeod, and actually passed on Groulx and McBain at 52.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm always paying attention, things can always change. I don't expect to draft top 20, but guys are going to shift throughout the year. Look at Bob's list last year.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-year-of-swedish-defencemen-1.852963

One top 5 guy Veleno was available at 25 and 29. A bunch of the guys he had in the 10 to 20 range we passed on (at 25 by trading down and not taking them at 29) such as McIsaac, Woo, and McLeod, and actually passed on Groulx and McBain at 52.

That's part of the problem, these early season rankings are so subject to change that I find I need to get to about Christmas time before I start taking more of an interest because I have a better idea where we're probably going to be drafting and the players have started to sort themselves out a bit

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
The All-American Prospects Game is tonight. Their website says HockeyTV will be live streaming the game for free. I hope its not region blocked in Canada.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The All-American Prospects Game is tonight. Their website says HockeyTV will be live streaming the game for free. I hope its not region blocked in Canada.
CHL season also officially starts with Soo vs Saginaw, although there are no real prospects of note for this upcoming draft.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
CHL season also officially starts with Soo vs Saginaw, although there are no real prospects of note for this upcoming draft.

Watch for Cole Perfetti and Ryan O'Rourke for 2020 though. Both could be top 60 picks easily. O'Rourke especially seems to be someone who is a very advanced two-way defenseman with size at a young age.

Otherwise you've got some mid-late round potential guys in Mason Millman (who scored), Jacob LeGuerrier, Robert Calisti, Joe Carroll, Ryan Stepian and Cole MacKay. Maybe Roman Pucek could impress as well. Duncan Penman and Nicolas Porco (who is currently injured) are the two main guys who could do well enough to slot into the top 90 at some point. Porco is injured and did not have the best rookie season, but he was highly touted and should get good opportunities on a young team when he's back and healthy. Penman is currently their top LHD now that Middleton has left for San Jose, so he could end up with Wilde on the top pairing. That would probably help him take major leaps. Although I fully expect Saginaw to acquire some sort of LD from another team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Watch for Cole Perfetti and Ryan O'Rourke for 2020 though. Both could be top 60 picks easily. O'Rourke especially seems to be someone who is a very advanced two-way defenseman with size at a young age.

Otherwise you've got some mid-late round potential guys in Mason Millman (who scored), Jacob LeGuerrier, Robert Calisti, Joe Carroll, Ryan Stepian and Cole MacKay. Maybe Roman Pucek could impress as well. Duncan Penman and Nicolas Porco (who is currently injured) are the two main guys who could do well enough to slot into the top 90 at some point. Porco is injured and did not have the best rookie season, but he was highly touted and should get good opportunities on a young team when he's back and healthy. Penman is currently their top LHD now that Middleton has left for San Jose, so he could end up with Wilde on the top pairing. That would probably help him take major leaps. Although I fully expect Saginaw to acquire some sort of LD from another team.
Yeah, I've known about Perfetti for awhile. 2020 could be a strong OHL year, and arguably the strongest OHL class since 2015 draft (McDavid, Strome, Marner, Konecny) that doesn't rely heavily on imports. Byfield, Vierling, Stranges, Perfetti and Drysdale, plus whatever emerges.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah, I've known about Perfetti for awhile. 2020 could be a strong OHL year, and arguably the strongest OHL class since 2015 draft (McDavid, Strome, Marner, Konecny) that doesn't rely heavily on imports. Byfield, Vierling, Stranges, Perfetti and Drysdale, plus whatever emerges.

Jesus what are you doing on here?

I'd have thought you would be on a week long bender after the Browns won for the first time in forever

Reactions: 93LEAFS

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I'd have thought you would be on a week long bender after the Browns won for the first time in forever

Always felt sorry for people who liked the Leafs and Bills/Browns, lot of rough years.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know the pain

I'm a Leafs, Bills, Wrexham FC supporter

That is a lot of losing

I just watch hockey and UFC, although Jon Jones is almost always suspended so it's kind of like losing for me.

I will be in Toronto for a week partying and drinking my face off if the Leafs win the cup.

Reactions: NCoRe and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I just watch hockey and UFC, although Jon Jones is almost always suspended so it's kind of like losing for me.

I will be in Toronto for a week partying and drinking my face off if the Leafs win the cup.

If we win a cup I'll go radio silent for about a week, I'll have one hell of a good time

I follow a lot of sports but the Leafs and Wrexham FC are the two big ones

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If we win a cup I'll go radio silent for about a week, I'll have one hell of a good time

I follow a lot of sports but the Leafs and Wrexham FC are the two big ones

why Wrexham kiwi?

I'm a west ham fan but Wrexham is a whole other level. Unless you or your family are from Wrexham of ocurse

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
why Wrexham kiwi?

I'm a west ham fan but Wrexham is a whole other level. Unless you or your family are from Wrexham of ocurse

The misses was a Wrexham girl so I wound up living there for about half a decade and became a season ticket holder

**** team but it was a great time Walshy

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The misses was a Wrexham girl so I wound up living there for about half a decade and became a season ticket holder

**** team but it was a great time Walshy

ive only been to Cardiff in wales but I had an awesome time there too, the welsh are cool

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

haha, thanks. I'm going to the game on the Oct 16th, so I'll save my partying til then.

Reactions: Kiwi

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I know BPA is the right move, but I always do get caught up in the positional debate as well. It's just easy to look at what is needed in the pipeline, and to hope/wish for it to be filled come draft day.

On June 21, 2018, I was adamant about getting another high-end centre for the organization and acknowledged that defence was still an area of weakness and felt we had drafted a ton of wingers.

Well on July 2, 2018, Tavares, Sandin and Durzi (and at much smaller scales, SDA and Stotts for depth), my tune has changed. Centre is taken care of for a while and we have really been stocking up on D with our early picks, to the point where we have youth and depth on the blueline.

I think for the first time, there is proper depth spread across all positions (including goaltender). So going into 2019, I really can't pinpoint what position I crave, so par for the course, BPA all the way.

If I were to really break it down to the nitty-gritty detail:
  • Still would love a centre prospect in the way of a Robert Thomas, Morgan Frost, Jordan Kyrou. Maybe they won't crack centre, but they could easily shift to the wing. If not, they are awesome trade chips to put us over the top, everyone needs high-end centre prospects.
  • We could always use another high-end RHD prospect
  • A top 6 LW
Either way, we are in a good spot, go BPA and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->