The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Depends on where we end up but I'm interested in Seider if we continue to suck or he drops a bit

Ah the big German kid? Right handed shot? Nightmares of Korbinian Holzer still but yeah I read up a bit on him. He seems to be a bit scattered on rankings. Seems to go 13-20 in mocks.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ah the big German kid? Right handed shot? Nightmares of Korbinian Holzer still but yeah I read up a bit on him. He seems to be a bit scattered on rankings. Seems to go 13-20 in mocks.

Kid can skate

I was watching some video of him the other day, he didn't look particularly physical but his skating, size, IQ combo looked interesting

Reactions: Saint Blue

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019

I am not claiming to be a draft wizard, but I like to think I am fairly well read.

I have him as a top 4 ranked defenceman in this years draft. I don't think he will fall to us, unfortunately.
As I think he is truly a beauty prospect.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Still wonder what the hell happened that year after the California road trip. We did well, believe we beat Anaheim and Los Angeles on that trip. Looked firmly in a playoff spot and fell off a cliff big time.

I can't see it happening like that again...unless we play every game like we did against Florida again.

Jonathan Bernier got hurt in the LA game. That was the turning point.

As awful as Bernier was in the following seasons, his first year here he was dragging this team to the playoffs. He got hurt, Reimer came in, team fell apart, they rushed Bernier back from injury with two weeks left to try and squeak in, but Bernier was crap because he was clearly still hurt.

Reactions: Duffman955

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I really like Matthew Robertson. He's like a slightly taller Travis Dermott.

Thomas Harley is another D I like.

But like most, I'm not in love with anyone in the 24-31 range, so I'm fully on board with Dubas trading the pick for roster help, or if we still hold it come the draft, trading down to get another 2nd or 3rd.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is there any good power forwards that potentially be available in the bottom third of the 1st rd?

Sam Poulin. I think he's the best out of the bunch, but also most likely to drop. Sherbrooke is not going to help him stand out enough, but he reminds me of Grundstrom. Ton of skill everywhere, and has top 6 potential.

horner

May 22, 2007
I really like Matthew Robertson. He's like a slightly taller Travis Dermott.

Thomas Harley is another D I like.

But like most, I'm not in love with anyone in the 24-31 range, so I'm fully on board with Dubas trading the pick for roster help, or if we still hold it come the draft, trading down to get another 2nd or 3rd.
At he rate we are playing we could be drafting 16th.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
NHL central scouting Mid-term rankings.

Hughes, Kakko top Central Scouting midterm rankings for 2019 NHL Draft

This should be a big week for lists of interest. Bob usually drops one after the Top Prospects game, and I think Hockey Prospect has one on the way.

Harley jumped up pretty good in the rankings, not sure where he was before this though. He really stood out to me when I watched him a couple weeks ago.

Lavoie seems like he's dropping on most rankings as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Harley jumped up pretty good in the rankings, not sure where he was before this though. He really stood out to me when I watched him a couple weeks ago.

This is the first central scouting numbered list. Prior to this, it was just letter grades indicating what round he would be taken in. So, its impossible to really tell how much he moved in the rankings. He had a "B" grade prior, which was a 2nd to 3rd round grade in October, and now is 9th among NA. So, it's safe to say he's now an "A" grade. But, how much of a jump is hard to tell, because the B "grades" for NA start probably somewhere between 14 and 19 on the list.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

TBH, never understood why Lavoie was ranked so high in the first place. Even in his peak he looked like a mid teens to early 20's type of guy to me. Now I think we could realistically get him at our pick if we wanted him.

horner

May 22, 2007

When I watched him he looked really good.
What has happened to him

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
When I watched him he looked really good.
What has happened to him
LaVoie has that tendancy to look like a superstar some nights, and look like a 3rd liner on others. Depending when the scout viewed him sort of flips his rankings.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
LaVoie has that tendancy to look like a superstar some nights, and look like a 3rd liner on others. Depending when the scout viewed him sort of flips his rankings.

He'd be perfect for our pick... I'd take him in the late first round. I am just surprised he was ranked so high in the first place TBH.

Like he deserved to be ranked in the first round, but nothing he did really screamed top 10... Especially in a draft with a lot of high end forward talent. It's pretty easy to distinguish him and the other forwards ranked until like the mid-20's.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
He'd be perfect for our pick... I'd take him in the late first round. I am just surprised he was ranked so high in the first place TBH.

Like he deserved to be ranked in the first round, but nothing he did really screamed top 10... Especially in a draft with a lot of high end forward talent. It's pretty easy to distinguish him and the other forwards ranked until like the mid-20's.

Thats where the holy weak draft comes in. Lots of these forwards are going to be good solid top 6 players, but aside from the top few there isn't much "elite" talent. Lavoie has show, on occasion, to have that elite talent; just on too many occasions he is just average though. That being said, he will be probably still a top 10 pick just due to having that top of draft class ability.

Lobsterski

Oct 26, 2018
Any opinions on Michael Vukojevic from the Kitchener Rangers?
I think he'd be a potential steal in the 3rd, I'd even be happy with him in the 2nd round.

- He showed a ton of promise in his first (3/4) season in the OHL, was a total rock on the backend for a deep playoff run.
- Took a step back for the first half of this season, (albeit on a team with poor defence overall, played lower than expected pp time and plays under a coaching group that hasn't had a great recent record of developing individual players into stars).
- He finally has been giving free reign to display his offensive skillset and is rebounding in recent weeks... also plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and can throw his weight around pretty good.

Despite not putting up flashy offensive numbers... I really like this kid's tools, I think he's a prime candidate to have a breakout draft+1 year. When he's engaged, I see a potential NHL 2nd pairing all around d-man with some size and snarl.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting tidbit from Jonas Siegel regarding Dubas and the draft. Said that Dubas thinks some scouts get swayed way too much by WJC performances

Reactions: SprDaVE

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Interesting tidbit from Jonas Siegel regarding Dubas and the draft. Said that Dubas thinks some scouts get swayed way too much by WJC performances
It's rare for first-time draft eligibles to be there, so its hard to think of who he may be thinking of. The only notable guy in recent years who may have got a bit too much of a benefit from the WJC who we drafted was Korshkov, but we had guys in Russia doing work. Matthews, it made no difference, and Grundstrom didn't have a particularly impressive WJC. Kral was a late rounder. In recent years, the only guy who has had a really impressive draft year WJC who failed to translate has been Puljujarvi, and its hard to separate him from the terrible development situation that is the Edmonton Oilers. I think the media commonly overhypes the 18 and 19-year-olds who do well there, but I'm not sure it has much of an effect on the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->