Matthews - Home run (tap-in)
Korshkov - Jury still out, but concerning
Grundstrom - Showing a lot of promise
Woll - Showing a lot of promise
Greenway - Probable bust
Adam Brooks - Maybe a bottom 6 NHLer, nothing special by the looks of it
Middleton - Bust
Bobylev - Bust
Walker - Bust (I hated this pick for some reason)
Mattinen - Bust
Chebykin - Bust

1 for sure hit, I feel we have a good chance to come out with 1 more NHLer, so far,

2017 (this is where guess work comes in)
Liljegren - Showing promise in the AHL at a young age
Rasanen - Made a big mistake going to the KHL, limited minutes before being injured. Only 6GP
Scott - Showing promise
Kara - Hardly hear much, still a mystery box
Gordeev - Hard to say with him playing on such a bad OHL Team. Looks good on Guelph
McGregor - Jury still out
O'Connell - Jury still out

Sandin - Showing a lot of promise in the AHL
Durzi - Injured a lot, didn't make the AHL yet
SDA - Not lighting up the OHL, Petes kind of suck though
Stotts - Jury still out
Hollowell - Nice stats, but still an overager.
Kral - Think he's still playing catch up after being injured at the start
Holmberg - Showing some promise so far overseas
Bouthillier - Jury still out - Scott's stats weren't that hot a year ago
Kizimov - Jury still out - Not lighting up the VHL though

Reactions: hockeynorth

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Looked over 2015-Now

Marner - Home run
Dermott - Top 4 LHD
Bracco- Jury still out.
Dzierkals - Bust
Nielsen - Bust
Lindgren - Long shot at best
Timashov - Probably top 6 AHLer
Desrocher - Bust
Korostelev - Bust

2 Big hits. Success

Greenway - Probable bust
Middleton - Bust
Bobylev - Bust
Mattinen - Bust
Chebykin - Bust

1 for sure hit, I feel we have a good chance to come out with 1 more NHLer, so far,

2017 and 2018 are way too early to judge

0/14 or 1/14 for picks in round 3-7 isn't all that impressive.

Reactions: Duffman955

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
Looked over 2015-Now

Marner - Home run
Dermott - Top 4 LHD
Bracco- Jury still out.
Dzierkals - Bust
Nielsen - Bust
Desrocher - Bust
Korostelev - Bust

2 Big hits. Success

Greenway - Probable bust
Middleton - Bust
Bobylev - Bust
Mattinen - Bust
Chebykin - Bust

Rasanen - Made a big mistake going to the KHL, limited minutes before being injured. Only 6GP
Scott - Showing promise
Gordeev - Hard to say with him playing on such a bad OHL Team. Looks good on Guelph

Stotts - Jury still out

Even 2016 is a bit too early to speculate on.

I was very happy with the Korshkov/Rasanen picks.
Both have great upside, I know it would have helped Korshkov to come to the AHL last season instead of resigning in the KHL, but Dubas/Marlies couldn't guarantee him a top 6 role.

Rasanen's mistake of going to the KHL is only real because he got injured. The fact he is playing against grown men in the 2nd best league in the world is impressive. Even if he played half the season that could have huge for his own personal growth.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
I wonder if we will have a shot at Raphael Lavoie in round one. He seems to be falling in some rankings I’ve seen. He’s a late 2000 birthday so is one of the oldest guys in the draft and isn’t tearing it up statistically in Halifax so it’s not inconceivable that he could fall to us. I get to see him plenty and he looks like a damn good player. He will be someone to keep an eye on at the Mem Cup.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if we will have a shot at Raphael Lavoie in round one. He seems to be falling in some rankings I’ve seen. He’s a late 2000 birthday so is one of the oldest guys in the draft and isn’t tearing it up statistically in Halifax so it’s not inconceivable that he could fall to us. I get to see him plenty and he looks like a damn good player. He will be someone to keep an eye on at the Mem Cup.

His skating is a little questionable to me. Speed is good but his agility seemed to be poor. Perhaps I caught a bad game or two though.

He reminded me a bit of JVR or perhaps Mantha the way he plays. Not super engaged physically or on the forecheck or anything but very good puck skills, damn good around the net and used his size well to keep puck possession.

He's projected to be a top 12 pick in this draft. I don't think he'll fall that much, but he has been going through a tough stretch lately so perhaps he slips like some prospects do. I'd be very ecstatic if he dropped that low.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Looked over 2015-Now

Marner - Home run
Dermott - Top 4 LHD
Bracco- Jury still out.
Dzierkals - Bust
Nielsen - Bust
Desrocher - Bust
Korostelev - Bust

2 Big hits. Success

Greenway - Probable bust
Middleton - Bust
Bobylev - Bust
Mattinen - Bust
Chebykin - Bust

Scott - Showing promise

Stotts - Jury still out

I do not see how it was a mistake for Rasanen to go to the KHL? Instead he would have been stuck on an atrocious OHL team with practically no talent. He would have got a ton of minutes but he would not have developed nearly as much as he has in the KHL. It took him some time to get into the lineup, but he was starting to get ice time before getting hurt.

That being said, the Leafs may use him as a trade chip this year. They have an excess of RD prospects right now, and that body with his skill set, even with his injury, would intrigue pretty much every team out there.

I would also say it's too early on any of the Russian guys. They are turning 21/22 this year, but we get to keep them for a while.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I do not see how it was a mistake for Rasanen to go to the KHL? Instead he would have been stuck on an atrocious OHL team with practically no talent. He would have got a ton of minutes but he would not have developed nearly as much as he has in the KHL. It took him some time to get into the lineup, but he was starting to get ice time before getting hurt.

That being said, the Leafs may use him as a trade chip this year. They have an excess of RD prospects right now, and that body with his skill set, even with his injury, would intrigue pretty much every team out there.

I would also say it's too early on any of the Russian guys. They are turning 21/22 this year, but we get to keep them for a while.
He wouldn’t have been stuck in Kingston. He would have been dumped to a contender for assets.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

He wouldn’t have been stuck in Kingston. He would have been dumped to a contender for assets.

93Leafs nailed it. I would prefer he got a lot of minutes, that is what he needs. He would get a lot of touches in the OHL, develop his puck skills.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Looked over 2015-Now

Marner - Home run
Dermott - Top 4 LHD
Bracco- Jury still out.
Dzierkals - Bust
Nielsen - Bust
Desrocher - Bust
Korostelev - Bust

2 Big hits. Success

Greenway - Probable bust
Middleton - Bust
Bobylev - Bust
Mattinen - Bust
Chebykin - Bust

Scott - Showing promise

Stotts - Jury still out

According to most scouts, two is considered a success.

2015: Marner, Dermott
2016: Matthews, Grundstrom
2017: Liljegren, ?
2018: Sandin, ?
Not bad so far. I think Dubas will have more success at the draft than Hunter did. Hunter still seems stuck on the size over talent in the later rounds vs Dubas going with the percentages and skill regardless of size. Size is a lot more important on the back end anyways.
I'll take a fourth line of Johnsson-Brooks-Bracco over what we have now in a heat beat.

Reactions: stickty111

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Not bad so far. I think Dubas will have more success at the draft than Hunter did. Hunter still seems stuck on the size over talent in the later rounds vs Dubas going with the percentages and skill regardless of size. Size is a lot more important on the back end anyways.
I'll take a fourth line of Johnsson-Brooks-Bracco over what we have now in a heat beat.

2 is definitely a success, don't want to count our chickens too early on Lily and Sandin yet either, need to see them in the NHL but trending well.

I don't think Johnsson is going to the 4th line though, our LW depth is kind of bad, he's at least top 9.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

He should be on the marlies next season.

Sandin Lilly
Gordeev Hollowell
------ Durzi
------ Rasanen

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I don't think Johnsson is going to the 4th line though, our LW depth is kind of bad, he's at least top 9.

Definitely agree but was just making a point since hes a smaller guy. Would prefer to make the fourth line an offensive one instead of the best checking line babs can come up with.

:laugh: Damn forgot about Moore. Moore-Brooks-Bracco.

Grundstrom Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Hyman Kadri Kapanen
Moore Brooks Bracco

Put the rest of the cap on D.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019

Sandin Lilly
Gordeev Hollowell
------ Durzi
==== Rasanen

Goalies:
Woll
Scott

Are two A quality goalie prospects are finally coming into the AHL.
Maybe one goes to the ECHL to start, but maybe they just both share the starter net.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The 2018 draft is looking good, even if you don't include Sandin.

Durzi and Hollowell have both been top-10 defenseman in the OHL based on game score.

Stotts has been great after a really slow start to the season, climbing his way back to PPG.

Kral was injured for a while to start and has bounced back in a huge way, but is still stuck behind the best drafted prospect in hockey, Ty Smith.

SDA hasn't been scoring, but his underlying shot/shot assist metrics have been great. Needs to shoot much more and stop trying to dangle through everyone all the time. Still the youngest drafted prospect in hockey and a long-term project.

Holmberg by all accounts is looking good.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Durzi and Hollowell have both been top-10 defenseman in the OHL based on game score.

Stotts has been great after a really slow start to the season, climbing his way back to PPG.

Kral was injured for a while to start and has bounced back in a huge way, but is still stuck behind the best drafted prospect in hockey, Ty Smith.

SDA hasn't been scoring, but his underlying shot/shot assist metrics have been great. Needs to shoot much more and stop trying to dangle through everyone all the time. Still the youngest drafted prospect in hockey and a long-term project.

Its tough to judge our Russian kids, but U19 Kizimov has produced decently in the VHL.

He's 2nd among U19 players and 8th among U20 players. Producing similar numbers to Bobylov and Chebykin, while being a couple years younger.

2017 draft pick Kara has also been producing okay in Russia this year too.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A good rule of thumb is to give it 5 years to really judge a draft. So many ups and downs in a prospects development. I think after 3 years you get a decent idea of their pro upside in some capacity but 5 years gives you the whole picture. That 2015 draft was pretty damn solid and it could turn into a top notch draft depending on Timashov and Lindgren. The only non-AHL players in the draft were Desrochers and Korostelev, 6th and 7th round picks.

With that said, I'm not sure this is the thread to talk about past drafts.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Sandin Lilly
Gordeev Hollowell
------ Durzi
------ Rasanen

I would say it makes more sense for the year after.

The Marlies have too many RD next year: Holl/Liljegren (or possibly both, but I think Liljegren could be in the NHL), Hollowell, Durzi, Lindgren.

Not to mention likely other guys like Corrado getting brought back.

I would give Rasanen an extra year in the KHL, especially since he has that extra year on his deal anyways. Then bring him to the Marlies, since Holl could either be let go, or Liljegren would be in the NHL, by that time.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
I would say it makes more sense for the year after.

The Marlies have too many RD next year: Holl/Liljegren (or possibly both, but I think Liljegren could be in the NHL), Hollowell, Durzi, Lindgren.
I would give Rasanen an extra year in the KHL, especially since he has that extra year on his deal anyways. Then bring him to the Marlies, since Holl could either be let go, or Liljegren would be in the NHL, by that time.

Rasanen is signed for 1 more year in the KHL.

Sandin-Liljegren
XXXX-Hollowell
Gordeev-Durzi

Spares: Lindgren/Holl

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I won't touch on the Dubas vs. Hunter thing, but to say Hunter favours size over talent just isn't right considering the Marner and Dermott picks and even Liljegren. I'm not sure why that criticsm only applies to the other picks that some don't like and not them.

Also, that fourth line used the way Babcock used (and most do) wouldn't be any more successful. Johnsson could likely have a cap hit nearly $2m. Both he and Bracco (if he plays) need to be in the top 9.

I'll take our Lindholm - Gauthier - Moore 4th line.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Durzi is the highest drafted overager in the OHL. Hollowell is the 3rd, behind Connor Hall who has only played 4 games. They should be dominating, and anything but dominating would have been terrible.

SDA's production is terrible for what people expect out of him. You point to micro stats, but that's working on the assumption that stuff easily carries over. He'd be the oldest player in this draft, and his draft stock wouldn't have improved at all (since people want to heavily focus on his birthday). Plus, I'd debate the validity of any micro-stats being tracked, because from what I've seen of it, people are using polling techniques (taking randon or specialized samples and extrapolating data).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad