The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes, but for instance if we drafted Knight.
He could play the next 3 seasons in the NCAA. In three years time, who knows where Woll/Scott will be (if they are still on our team)

Again, I am not a fan of using a high pick on goalies, most of the time. But Knight/Jones/Wolf are truly high quality goalies that could be deserving of a 1st round choice.

Unless there something really special I wouldn't take one in the first, maybe in the 2nd round if your picking late 50's but not in the first, not this lot anyway

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
Moritz Seider seems interesting
He seems like the wild-card. Some people have him as a top 5-10 pick. Others have him as a late first.

I think his defensive game is solid, playing in the DEL as 17yr old is a fairly significant feat.
His offense has been questioned, but after destroyed the WJCu20 d1 you could argue he has a strong offense among peers.

Plus he has that Babcock favourite "6'4 everyday" and another RHD would be mint for the Buds.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Lots of good D will be on our plate at the draft.

Would be nice if Kyle could go back to Sweden again with another D this year. Victor Soderstrom looks like an interesting prospect to keep eyes on.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He seems like the wild-card. Some people have him as a top 5-10 pick. Others have him as a late first.

I think his defensive game is solid, playing in the DEL as 17yr old is a fairly significant feat.
His offense has been questioned, but after destroyed the WJCu20 d1 you could argue he has a strong offense among peers.

Plus he has that Babcock favourite "6'4 everyday" and another RHD would be mint for the Buds.

The Leafs have spent a lot of high end picks on RD the past few years. That is not to say they will not look to dip in there again, but I doubt they'll value a guy higher because he shoots right given our depth. If anything, they'll want LHD more right now, since right now Sandin and Kral are the only guys who do not look like wild cards. Greenway and O'Connell are a few years away, and Gordeev needs to have a good run with Guelph if he wants to end up anywhere near ELC territory.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think we should target a C unless a much better player is left on the board. If Turcott stays as low on lists as he is you absolutely move up for him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think we should target a C unless a much better player is left on the board. If Turcott stays as low on lists as he is you absolutely move up for him.
Only list he's particularly low on is Button's. Pretty much everywhere else he's top 15 or so. Moving from 25 or later to top 15 is almost impossible in a pick based trade.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Only list he's particularly low on is Button's. Pretty much everywhere else he's top 15 or so. Moving from 25 or later to top 15 is almost impossible in a pick based trade.

I like the look of that German kid Seider, his size + skating combo is pretty tantalizing, he's all over the place in some of the mocks I've seen though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A centre would be nice to replace Kadri at some point.

Kaedan Korczak would still be my pick, he would bring some elements we lack on our back end. Kind of get a Weber vibe off him.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
A little off-topic, but man is it looking like we overrated Mark Hunter and his 'drafting abilities'.

2016:
3#72
6.png
James Greenway (D)
4#92
3.png
Adam Brooks (F)
4#101
3.png
Keaton Middleton (D)
5#122
9.png
Vladimir Bobylyov (F)
6#152
6.png
Jack Walker (F)
6#179
3.png
Nicolas Mattinen (D)
7#182
9.png
Nikolai Chebykin (F)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Could have drafted:
73rd: Joey Anderson
78th: Frederic Allard
85th: Josh Mahura
100th: Victor Mete
133rd: Max Lajoie
162nd: Jesper Bratt
166th: Matthew Phillips
196th: Dmitri Sokolov

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A little off-topic, but man is it looking like we overrated Mark Hunter and his 'drafting abilities'.

2016:
Could have drafted:

Certainly not the draft god people paint him to be but I'd say even the best scouts out there have quite a few duds under their belt, especially in rounds 3 to 7.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Another one of my favourites. Needs to work on his skating, but probably the best release in the draft. Damn good wrist and slap shot. He also has pretty good hands. I think he'll go in the top 20 quite easily but maybe we get lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morgs

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

2016:
Could have drafted:

Pretty much the only good pick 'he' made was Dermott. The rest were mostly Bergman picks, or really high picks that he should have not messed up.

Let's just say I am not sad he is gone. Dubas did not have a perfect first draft either, but he only had a few weeks of full control. Despite that, at least he made a few good picks and has a much better drafting philosophy.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I can't imagine that McMichael will fall to the late first. A goal scoring centre who plays for the London Knights? Kid's got a real shot at the top15.

That said, I would loooooooooooooove to see McMichael in our system. He looked like a smart, smart player when I saw him. Scouts say that he has plus speed too. Even if he ends up as a winger, there's a good player there.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pretty much the only good pick 'he' made was Dermott. The rest were mostly Bergman picks, or really high picks that he should have not messed up.

Let's just say I am not sad he is gone. Dubas did not have a perfect first draft either, but he only had a few weeks of full control. Despite that, at least he made a few good picks and has a much better drafting philosophy.
Also, he made the Dermott pick after Dubas told him to trade down. He might not even have Dermott if it wasnt for Dubas.
All though Babcock did say they were interested in Aho.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
3. Philip Tomasino - Forward - Niagara IceDogs

Aggressive ranking jump for Tomasino following a strong last couple of months. I had him pretty high coming into the season, so it's no surprise to see how well he has performed following a promotion to Niagara's top line. Since the beginning of November, Tomasino has 34 points (17 goals, 17 assists) in 23 games. That's some of the best production of any draft eligible player in the CHL during that time period. And sure, it's great to play with two players as talented as Jason Robertson and Akil Thomas. But if you watch him play, Tomasino isn't just along for the ride, he's driving the play with those two. His speed and play with the puck is electric. His pace of attack consistently opens ups scoring lanes for Robertson and Thomas. But he's also not afraid to attack the middle of the ice or the crease. He's excelled by crashing the net as part of that trio, and just seems to have an infectious energy level. It's uncertain as to whether NHL scouts will view him as a winger or as a center (he has played both), but this is one talented young player. I can honestly say that I heavily debated putting Tomasino at #1 on this list. Playing for a Niagara team that could be loading up, he is going to get his time to shine and should sky rocket up draft lists in the second half if he keeps up this rate of production.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019

Got to remember the NHL average is 1.5 NHL players (that play over 300 games) per each NHL draft.

If the Leafs can hit on 2-3 that is pretty good drafting

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
For those that care:

The condition for the 2019 6th round pick we acquired from Dallas for Carrick has expired. Carrick needed to play in 50 games this season, can only possibly play in 49 now at this point. He's been injured and healthy scratched a lot this season. It's now officially a 2019 7th round pick.

Reactions: hockeynorth

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

What good picks did he make outside of Sandin? I wouldn't be optimistic about anyone else from that draft. SDA can't score at a high level in the OHL well, so I don't get why people expect him to develop into an NHL goal scorer. Durzi is permanently injured and wasn't good enough for the Marlies at 20. I really don't see anything outside of Sandin to be excited about.

You have to credit Hunter for at least listening to Bergman. He's the CEO of the draft, he gets credit for all the big and small things. Its not like they just gave Bergman a pick, and told him to take whoever they want. He had to weight Bergman's opinion against other scouts, and decide it was the correct pick. Ian Scott is looking like a good pick. Plus, people over simplify the Marner pick, a bunch of places would have taken Hanifin there.

Reactions: Duffman955
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad