The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think were definitely in a BPA situation (not that I don't think you shouldn't do that anyway)

Should be an interesting draft if we don't move our first, I definitely think were going to trade down and try to stock the pool with as many players as possible for cheap depth because looking at this draft from the mid 1st down that's pretty much what I see

Of course, but often there is not one clear BPA. For example, it was clear the Sandin or Veleno were probably the best options at pick 29, but I am not sure you could say one was definitively better than the other. Ultimately the Leafs wisely chose the guy with high end IQ, because that should be a quality in everyone they pick, but I am just saying filling a need should be the decider if it is really close otherwise.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
With Knight I think it more has to do with I do not think they want to spend that high of a pick on him. Not the timeline thing. The Leafs can stash him in the NCAA until a spot on the Marlies opens up. I was more referring to the CHL goalies who would need to come in within two years, and I do not think there will be a spot open on the Marlies within two years. Besides, most of the good CHL goalies (Wolf, Miner, Piiroinen, Ellis, Maier, Gauthier, etc.) are also likely going to be taken quite early (rounds 2 and 3, maybe round 4), and there is a steep drop off after those guys. After round 3, the guys outside of the CHL are likely better than the ones in the CHL.
I could see another Bouthillier pick from the CHL, but I agree with the premise that it is unlikely we take one high.

I could see Knight being intriguing in our pick-range if he's on the board. Any pick that late is something like 30 to 40% chance of actually becoming something valuable (top 9 forward, top 5 D, starter). I would think the odds with Knight are even more extreme, but if he hits, he's a franchise goaltender. Although, he could also easily turn into Jack Campbell or Al Montoya (but way higher picks were thrown at those guys).

Right now, I'm just expecting us to trade the pick if we can find a top 4 RHD rental, or even as a package for a guy in a McDonagh type deal.

I'm sure a couple guys I'll like in the 25-31 range will emerge throughout the year and as the projections get significantly less volatile.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Of course, but often there is not one clear BPA. For example, it was clear the Sandin or Veleno were probably the best options at pick 29, but I am not sure you could say one was definitively better than the other. Ultimately the Leafs wisely chose the guy with high end IQ, because that should be a quality in everyone they pick, but I am just saying filling a need should be the decider if it is really close otherwise.
I would say that you should make a draft board that doesn't factor in positional need, and then just go off that board. I can understand when its really close at the top of the draft, and you have clear needs. This isn't really a case for the Leafs. While we will need cheap long-term assets, we will also be players in the rental market for the foreseeable future, which means drafting the asset you expect to have the most trade value has to be factored in just as much as position.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I would think your scouts would have some idea of which player they prefer if it comes down to a couple of guys

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I have now watched a few clips of Spencer Knight , so here is my Analysis of his play.

He is a big goalie at 6'3, 190+lbs. He has a pretty strong push as he gets across the crease pretty quickly. He makes good use of his long legs as he can present himself pretty wide and cover alot of net.

There is some things about his game that I am not a fan of. Like Woll he holds his glove relatively low. And one thing I noticed a few times when shooters were going high is that he leads with his elbow at times instead of his glove. Kinda like a chicken wing like Reimer and Murray do. I would like to see him use more of a lower stance and keep his arms in tight with his glove hand pointed fingers up.

He reminds of Woll with his stance but I personally like Woll's technique better. I would like to see Knight use the one knee down and in tight alot more to push back and forth ( like Andersen does). Knight has a tendency to go into a wide butterfly flare but gets caught when there is a rebound and he starts swimming (like Sparks). Once you are in a wide butterfly it makes it hard to get a good push across and recover on a rebound. More often than not you end up on your belly and relying on a desperation sprawl and luck to stop the puck. Woll and Andersen do a much better job of staying with the puck and staying upright using the one knee Down pushes I mentioned.

I think he is a good goalie but he could use some goaltending instruction to further his technique. Myself I dont think I would use a first or maybe even a 2nd on him. I personally liked what I saw from previous high ranked goalies like Dipietro, Rodrigue, Oettinger, Hart better.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Any Kaedan Korczak love yet? Not too much to dislike and seems to check a lot of boxes. It also probably doesn't hurt having Adam Foote as the Head Coach in Kelowna. Isn't as advanced in the offensive zone as some of his contemporaries, including his teammate and fellow RHD Lassi Thomson....Thoughts on Korczak?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Any Kaedan Korczak love yet? Not too much to dislike and seems to check a lot of boxes. It also probably doesn't hurt having Adam Foote as the Head Coach in Kelowna. Isn't as advanced in the offensive zone as some of his contemporaries, including his teammate and fellow RHD Lassi Thomson....Thoughts on Korczak?
I wasn't particularly impressed by him at Hlinka. Need to round back though and see him in Kelowna.

I will say this though. I never want to hear the words Leafs, draft, 1st round, Kelowna, defence man, and Adam Foote close together again. Luckily, the last one was salvaged.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Never been sold on Lassi Thomson. I can see him going higher, but he's a 3rd or 4th round type prospect for me at this point. Good upside, but needs a lot of work.

I like Korczak. I had him in the 25 range at the beginning of the year. I think that is still a good high end for him, but I think he could also end up taken in the 40's or 50's. He seems to have a nice well-rounded game, but I am not sure about his upside. I can just people passing by him based on upside, because I think he tops out as a solid 2nd pairing type all-around guy if everything comes together. Not sure he would play PP in the NHL, and it would be 2nd PP at best, but PK for sure. I see a lot of a Stuart Percy in him, but I think he has an edge in certain things that could make him turn out better... So I guess that would really make him more like a Dermott. The main thing is that you hope that injuries do not kill him.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I wasn't particularly impressed by him at Hlinka. Need to round back though and see him in Kelowna.

I will say this though. I never want to hear the words Leafs, draft, 1st round, Kelowna, defence man, and Adam Foote close together again. Luckily, the last one was salvaged.
A little Luke Schenn PTSD?

Last edited:
Reactions: 93LEAFS

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Myself, I'm liking Billy Constantinou. Taking him in the 1st round might be a slight reach but trading down and picking up another 2nd or 3rd could always be in the cards. The kid sure has some slick moves and being 16 in this video shows how confident he is, even at that young age. His use of shoulder fakes and his edge work remind me of Travis Dermott which wouldn't be a bad thing.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Myself, I'm liking Billy Constantinou. Taking him in the 1st round might be a slight reach but trading down and picking up another 2nd or 3rd could always be in the cards. The kid sure has some slick moves and being 16 in this video shows how confident he is, even at that young age. His use of shoulder fakes and his edge work remind me of Travis Dermott which wouldn't be a bad thing.

I think playing for Kingston is going to kill his stock. He's already a -7 in 3 games with them. I know your team should not impact your draft stock, but it did happen with Nathan Dunkley. Looked like a 2nd or 3rd rounder in Kingston, traded to London (who was still a fairly good team and much better than the Kingston Constantinou is going to play for) and could not quite match up with what he had done due to the difference in team quality. Ended up going undrafted altogether. Maybe it does not get that extreme for Constantinou, but he could end up dropping a few rounds if he can not figure out how to do well in Kingston.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Oshawa - Kingston on Sportsnet right now. Some decent prospects to watch on both teams. Most of them mid-round, but none-the-less.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Dubas is just going to pick the best remaining Soo player with our pick and call it a day.....

Nothing they have is remotely close to 1st round quality. They have Joe Carroll, who was ranked as a B guy but has struggled and may even end up undrafted this year. Cole MacKay looks like your typical late 2-early 4 rounder type. Then there are guys like LeGuerrier, McLean, etc. who may be able to slip into the 7th round, but will most likely end up undrafted this year.

Also, Sandin was not picked because of the Soo connection. He was the perfect type of defenseman for Dubas even if he was not on the Greyhounds. He likely would have been the pick regardless.

Reactions: stickty111

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

My horse.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
That Sandin pick was just horrible.

or little Mac

mac.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad