The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanYoungblood10

Dec 18, 2014
For those who liked Dellandrea, Blake Murray of the Sudbury Wolves is a very very similar player in a very similar situation, who posted really good offensive numbers this season as well. I think those who liked Dellandrea this year will also end up finding this kid as one of their favourites next year, however he is already ranked anywhere from high 2nd round to top 10 by certain sources so who knows where he'll finish. I'll admit though as a Wolves fan I'm a little biased towards him, but it also means I've watched him plenty and think he'll do great.
How's murray looked so far this season? It's been awhile since I've been to a wolves game. And hows the byfield kid?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
How's murray looked so far this season? It's been awhile since I've been to a wolves game. And hows the byfield kid?
Unfortunately Murray is looking mediocre (probably a third rounder right now), though he is definitely picking up steam in the last few games and could still break into the early second to late first. Byfield comes as touted, he's easily our best player.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Brett Leason leads the WHL in points. 26 P in 12 games. 6'4 C, overager hes a 1999 bday. Wouldn't mind drafting him with a mid-late round pick

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Unfortunately Murray is looking mediocre (probably a third rounder right now), though he is definitely picking up steam in the last few games and could still break into the early second to late first. Byfield comes as touted, he's easily our best player.
Byfield is impressive. Its unclear what you mean by touted. I do think the hype around him reached a level he couldn't immediately live up to. I think he'll end up a top 5 NHL draft pick, although, I think people grouping him in with Stamkos and JT as the best Toronto area products outside of McDavid in recent years were reaching a bit far. He always felt like a Chychrun level Minor-Midget prospect, in that the kid is a physical freak, so we have to wait and see how he adapts when the game speeds up and the windows become smaller.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like the bio on Ben Brinkman

He's playing in the NCAA this year as a 2000 birthday, he sounds toolsy with quality skating

I like defensive prospects like that in the mid to late 20's
Was always one of the top players in the Twin Cities. Has all the physical tools. The only things that need to be determined is if he has the intangibles, i.e. hockey IQ and hunger to be great. I don't think he is a " dumb" hockey player, but rather, he was so much more talented than the others that he played against that he got bad habits, i.e. Holding on to the puck too long, or taking risks on defense because he knew he could get back and recover, in most cases. He will need to change in the NCAA.

I had to laugh at one " talent evaluator" around HFB, who described him as " lacking strength" . Brinkman is the strongest guy to come out of here since Anders Lee. Not super tall, but thick. Suter like. Is listed on the Gophers website at 225 lbs. which is crazy....definitely well over 200, though. Still only 17, I think. A recent article said that Brinkman was "down" to 214 lbs.

Obviously, 2018-19 needs to play out. Injuries can and do happen, as well as players just not panning out, or alternately catching fire for all the world to see.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Anybody else watch a lot of OHL hockey? We talked about Vukojevic a while back but Jack York could be a decent RHD in the mid-rounds for us.

Listed at 6'0" 194 but looks bigger. skates and moves the puck well, looks way better than last year. Projects somewhere in the 5th round right now probably but could move up with a big season, has 5 points in 11 games so far.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Brett Leason leads the WHL in points. 26 P in 12 games. 6'4 C, overager hes a 1999 bday. Wouldn't mind drafting him with a mid-late round pick

Despite being listed as a C, he's been a RW ever since coming to Prince Albert. Nice to see him doing well, and he may get drafted quite high, but it'll come down to how much his skating has progressed. The size, hard work and hockey sense has always been there, and he has some other decent qualities to boot as well (although nothing truly fantastic), but his skating was not good enough in the past to warrant getting on the draft radar.

If his skating has improved enough, I can see a team taking him in the 3rd round. I am not sure it should be the Leafs though. Not that he would not be a nice addition, or someone I would consider a little bit later, but I think there are better options than going with another D+2 big winger early on. I am not sure about his ceiling exceeding a bottom 6er even with improved skating, and I would hope the Leafs aim higher than that with a 3rd rounder and above. 4th or 5th rounder, I think I would consider it if he continues his tear though

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not surprising to me. Just can see American fans being angry at that or just trying to switch it to a different tune.
To be honest, caring about an NHL players favorite team is pretty pointless. Once they put on an NHL uniform they generally don't care, they embrace the team they are on. Just look at Kadri, or Max Domi on the other side.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm interested in Moritz Seider with the Leafs 1st? Maybe 93leafs could educate us on him?
Will he be available at 25-31?
I haven't watched him yet. He could be in our pick range, but I don't really focus on where guys could be this early. Just try to get the lay of the land and watch who I can. Where guys will end up will start piecing togeather around February. Here's a link to some of the info I have on him, including where he's ranked (he isn't ranked by Bob's top 20, or in Button's recent top 62) and shift by shift videos.

Moritz Seider - Prospectpedia

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Was raised here, played for the GTHL Marlies and his dad worked for the organization. Not really shocking.
If only Phoenix could get him! Then, we can trade Matthews for him. A win-win for both organizations. ;)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Was at the Knights - 67's game last night and was wondering who the #11 kid playing C on London was after thinking he was the Knights best player for the first half of the game. After looking him up, Connor McMichael looks like a good player. 12 points in 12 games this year, 9 of them goals. I was very impressed with how he positioned himself in the offensive zone and read plays, looked like a very smart player. Doesn't seem to be rated highly on draft lists yet, but could be yet another London player to rocket up the draft boards.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Matthew Struthers could be a good mid round (might end up higher) pick. Center with good size, was passed over last even though he nearly went PPG with North Bay after getting traded there half way through the season. Late 1999 birthday, currently has 25 points in 12 games.

Hell, could kill 2 birds with one stone and sign Brazeau to an ELC. The two of them have been dominating together.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
So the early returns on some of the players guys in this thread liked from last draft.

Kravtsov (KHL) 22gp 3g 5a 8pts
Denisenko (KHL) 11gp 3g 0a 3pts
Kaut (AHL) 8gp 1g 1a 2pts
Miller (NCAA) 6gp 2g 5a 7pts
Bokk (SHL) 11gp 1g 2a 3pts
Veleno (QMJHL) 14gp 10g 11a 21pts
Samuelsson (NCAA) 6gp 1g 0a 1pts
Berggren (SHL) 12gp 0g 2a 2pts
Woo (WHL) 9gp 1g 3a 4pts
Wilde (OHL) 10gp 3g 10a 13pts
Thomas (OHL) 15gp 8g 17a 25pts
Hallander (SHL) 12gp 2g 5a 7pts

Reactions: hockeynorth

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So the early returns on some of the players guys in this thread liked from last draft.

Kravtsov (KHL) 22gp 3g 5a 8pts
Denisenko (KHL) 11gp 3g 0a 3pts
Kaut (AHL) 8gp 1g 1a 2pts
Miller (NCAA) 6gp 2g 5a 7pts
Bokk (SHL) 11gp 1g 2a 3pts
Veleno (QMJHL) 14gp 10g 11a 21pts
Samuelsson (NCAA) 6gp 1g 0a 1pts
Berggren (SHL) 12gp 0g 2a 2pts
Woo (WHL) 9gp 1g 3a 4pts
Wilde (OHL) 10gp 3g 10a 13pts
Thomas (OHL) 15gp 8g 17a 25pts
Hallander (SHL) 12gp 2g 5a 7pts

I really wanted Akil Thomas or Jake Wise with our 2nd rounder.

Durzi looks like a nice pick now but I was disappointed at the time and still think those two will be players.

Reactions: DictatorTots427

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I really wanted Akil Thomas or Jake Wise with our 2nd rounder.

Durzi looks like a nice pick now but I was disappointed at the time and still think those two will be players.

Durzi is not doing anything more than expected right now, but he did start out slow. A PPG is not going to cut it for him. He's going to need to put up like 90 points in a full season (pro-rated for less) unless he becomes a top defensive guy as well. Offensive defensemen in the OHL who do not put up well over a PPG in their OA season do not typically make it that far. Regardless of the team they play for, barring it being like Flint level (which will make it interesting to see what the Leafs do with Gordeev even if he ends up doing poorly on the score sheet).That applies to Hollowell as well BTW. OS and SSM are not top tier teams per say, but are good enough and have enough talent that they (Durzi and Hollowell respectively) should easily reach those targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->