The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Unless this is just a list, and not in order, I would put Cajkovic significantly higher. I'd also assume you mean Caufield, and not Caulfield (easy mistake, very close names and play for the same team). I'd also add Vukojevic. It wouldn't shock me to see him as the top OHLer, I'd also add Kaliyev.

There is a decent chance there will not be any OHLers in the 1st round this year. Right now you are looking at maybe 4 or 5 guys with any sort of 1st round grade, and right now it's all in the latter half of the 1st round at best. Suzuki and Vukojevic could jump up a lot. I think there is a good chance Kaliyev falls off with Hamilton not being as good of a team next year. Guskov is a wild card right now. Blake Murray would need a good season in Sudbury to be a 1st round pick, but I think he is more likely going to be a 2nd round pick. That's really it at this point I would say.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There is a decent chance there will not be any OHLers in the 1st round this year. Right now you are looking at maybe 4 or 5 guys with any sort of 1st round grade, and right now it's all in the latter half of the 1st round at best. Suzuki and Vukojevic could jump up a lot. I think there is a good chance Kaliyev falls off with Hamilton not being as good of a team next year. Guskov is a wild card right now. Blake Murray would need a good season in Sudbury to be a 1st round pick, but I think he is more likely going to be a 2nd round pick. That's really it at this point I would say.
There will always be an OHLer in the first rounds. The odds of there not being one are minuscule even if there isn’t a clear lock at the moment. When’s the last time any CHL league didn’t have at least 1 first rounder? I know Q has relied on imports to do it, but I can’t think of a year a league didn’t produce 1.

Edit: I started going through drafts to see if a CHL league had not had a first rounder in a draft. In 2008 the QMJHL didn't produce a first rounder. The first picks out of the QMJHL that year were 34 and 35.

There hasn't been a year yet, where the OHL hasn't had a top 10 pick going back as far as 1990. I think the fewest first rounders they've had in that time frame in a single year is 3 in 2004. So, it would be a very dramatic drop-off from prior history.

I'm not a big fan of this OHL crop. But, the amount of slippage required and the event of unlikely risers makes me think that the odds of their not being a first rounder in the OHL this year being 649 odds.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I have no idea why Alex Newhook is being overlooked by everyone, mostly Team Canada.

Never thought he would be an underdog in this draft... In fact I thought if he followed up his current season he would have been the consensus #2 next year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have no idea why Alex Newhook is being overlooked by everyone, mostly Team Canada.

Never thought he would be an underdog in this draft... In fact I thought if he followed up his current season he would have been the consensus #2 next year.
If you are referring to Craig's list, I don't think not putting Newhook top 5 is really ignoring him. There are a bunch of strong arguments on how to sort out Newhook, Dach, Kakko, Turcotte, Cajkovic, Byram, Krebs, Podkolzin, etc for the spots directly behind Hughes. Personally, I think Turcotte should be the #2 guy, but I'm listening to cases for the others listed right now.

I have no idea what is going on with Hockey Canada and Newhook. Whether it is politics (Newfoundland kid who has spurned the Atlantic Canada/QMJHL development system, and is NCAA bound), or they just don't value him. Although, as long as you win, you can't really knock any team selection. They also left Blake Murray off, which was a bit of a surprise.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If you are referring to Craig's list, I don't think not putting Newhook top 5 is really ignoring him. There are a bunch of strong arguments on how to sort out Newhook, Dach, Kakko, Turcotte, Cajkovic, Byram, Krebs, Podkolzin, etc for the spots directly behind Hughes. Personally, I think Turcotte should be the #2 guy, but I'm listening to cases for the others listed right now.

I have no idea what is going on with Hockey Canada and Newhook. Whether it is politics (Newfoundland kid who has spurned the Atlantic Canada/QMJHL development system, and is NCAA bound), or they just don't value him. Although, as long as you win, you can't really knock any team selection. They also left Blake Murray off, which was a bit of a surprise.

It's not really Button's list. It's pretty clear he's just basing it off of that tournament more than anything he's probably seen before that.

Just in general all of the early mocks have him at like 6 or 7. He was #2 or at least #3 on most mocks before the Hlinka. Not so sure the Hlinka really has that much of an impact on someone's stock. It seems pretty insignificant unless the player matches it with a great season and WJC U18 tournament (which is weird since it's practically the same competition). On the other hand, if the guy has a crappy Hlinka or does not even make the roster, it usually does not even matter unless they have a poor rest of the season. Matthews, for example, did not do the Hlinka.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's not really Button's list. It's pretty clear he's just basing it off of that tournament more than anything he's probably seen before that.

Just in general all of the early mocks have him at like 6 or 7. He was #2 or at least #3 on most mocks before the Hlinka. Not so sure the Hlinka really has that much of an impact on someone's stock. It seems pretty insignificant unless the player matches it with a great season and WJC U18 tournament (which is weird since it's practically the same competition). On the other hand, if the guy has a crappy Hlinka or does not even make the roster, it usually does not even matter unless they have a poor rest of the season. Matthews, for example, did not do the Hlinka.
He actually kept his list pretty much exactly the same while bumping up Broberg from unranked, and bumping up Podkolzin a spot, from what he had after the U-17s.

I think Newhook is going to have an uphill battle to stay in the top 5 being in the BCHL. It tends to be weaker drafts at the top where players who are in those leagues are able to get into the top 5. 2019 looks pretty deep.

https://www.tsn.ca/19-names-for-the-2019-nhl-draft-1.918703

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Was just coming in here to tout this kid lol
He was good early on, but I was a bit disappointed by his game in the gold. I felt he had some very sloppy plays and turnovers. One directly lead to Canada's 5th goal. I'll go back and look, but I don't know how much you can take away dominating Switzerland and Slovakia.

The Swede who actually impressed me in the Gold Medal game outside of obviously Lucas Raymond, was Soderblom. He's huge and is very co-ordinated with soft hands. He needs to get better at skating, but that is fixable as he improves core-strength. Its always difficult for guys who are like 6'6 to skate well. The hands combined with size and strength on the puck should allow him to develop into a solid winger.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Dach is the big body forward we will be looking for. He could play on the wing with either of our top two lines. Love his compete level and he has an edge to his game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dach is the big body forward we will be looking for. He could play on the wing with either of our top two lines. Love his compete level and he has an edge to his game.
The thing I noticed the most about his this tourny was actually his hand-eye. He had that great one in the gold medal game, and was good at tipping pucks most of the tourney, even if they didn't go in. I know with the Blades, he was used more on the right half-wall, but that seems to be a skill he should work on to help his overall scoring. He's lacking in the shot department and can be lacking in urgency to drive the center of the ice (especially when compared to Cozens). I'm pretty sure Dach will lock up a top 15 spot this season. If I had to gamble on any of the hyped WHL guys falling, my money would be on Krebs and Robertson. Krebs team is terrible, and I'm not sure he has the level of skill required to put up top 10 numbers on that team.

Either way, being 10 months away, a lot will change. But, I am curious to see how the first batch of lists looks in September. 2 through 10 looks pretty wide open. And then there's always the guys who come from further down the list to get into the top 5 or so (Bennett, PLD, Hischier, Glass, Makar, Kotkaniemi, Hayton, etc).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The thing I noticed the most about his this tourny was actually his hand-eye. He had that great one in the gold medal game, and was good at tipping pucks most of the tourney, even if they didn't go in. I know with the Blades, he was used more on the right half-wall, but that seems to be a skill he should work on to help his overall scoring. He's lacking in the shot department and can be lacking in urgency to drive the center of the ice (especially when compared to Cozens). I'm pretty sure Dach will lock up a top 15 spot this season. If I had to gamble on any of the hyped WHL guys falling, my money would be on Krebs and Robertson. Krebs team is terrible, and I'm not sure he has the level of skill required to put up top 10 numbers on that team.

Either way, being 10 months away, a lot will change. But, I am curious to see how the first batch of lists looks in September. 2 through 10 looks pretty wide open. And then there's always the guys who come from further down the list to get into the top 5 or so (Bennett, PLD, Hischier, Glass, Makar, Kotkaniemi, Hayton, etc).
Robertson should fall he is a player who constantly makes poor decisions and a lot of them slow. He got exposed by the US as they came with speed on the forecheck. I see him as a 2nd round pick right now as there are far more solid picks available.

Dach to me is a player who seems to be a good choice as he could play on the wall and in the middle of the ice. I would be happy to be able to select him in this coming draft. His stats this coming season could see him slide a little not sure he gets to us but a trade up a few spots would likely do it. He sure looked good on the wall. He even exhibited a bit of a mean streak. Great hands and a big body. I will take an opportunity to watch him and a few others this winter.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Ya who watch WHL and especially Kelowna, keep an open eye for their new D Lassi Thomson. He's from my fav team on Finland and he's gonna surprise many. All-around D with a workhorse mentality and very nice offensive instincts. Right handed shot aswell .Would be sooooo appreciated If ya Keep tabs on him and once a while Tell me How is he doing there

Scored very well with Ilves A Juniors last year. 12+15

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
Belarusian LHD Vladislav Kolyachonok has been a standout at Knights camp so far. Not sure how the Knights will handle their import situation should Boqvist return but, he is one to keep tabs on. Belarus will be at the 2019 U-18 so remember the name if he is the one to leave London.

Reactions: hockeynorth

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ya who watch WHL and especially Kelowna, keep an open eye for their new D Lassi Thomson. He's from my fav team on Finland and he's gonna surprise many. All-around D with a workhorse mentality and very nice offensive instincts. Right handed shot aswell .Would be sooooo appreciated If ya Keep tabs on him and once a while Tell me How is he doing there

Scored very well with Ilves A Juniors last year. 12+15
I don't keep close tabs on Kelowna, but I'll try to check up and ask people I know who are based there. They have some interesting prospects for this draft between him and Nolan Foote. I can't wait to see the CHL start up, its such a dead period right now prospect wise. WHL has a lot of good talent this year (significantly better than OHL, which is a rarity). Due to this, I'll probably get a few viewings in on Kelowna, guys like Krebs, Dach, Cozens, Robertson, and Byram are all of high-interest. So, it can be easy to mix Kelowna vs these teams in (although I think only Krebs is in the same division),

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Okay, seems this thread will probably be pretty dead this year. But, I have some info/links I'd like to share.

Firstly, I'm working on a small project that is trying to collect as much info on prospects as possible and put them in one easy resource to find. Its still in the building phase, the front page still needs to be cleaned up. It is primarily focusing on the draft-eligibles, but hoping to eventually cover teams entire systems. Here is one on Rasmus Sandin, that I hope the 1st rounders from this year can look like at the end of the year. I'll also give a sample of some of this year's prospects to show what we have. I'm trying to get podcasts where informed people talk about the kid, to shift by shift videos, to where experts rank and project them to go. As rankings and pieces come out, I hope to add more.

Rasmus Sandin - Prospectpedia

Kaapo Kakko - Prospectpedia

Kirby Dach - Prospectpedia

Secondly, I'd like to point out two new valuable resources that are out there. One is done by @KillEmAll83 and it is a site that makes many shift by shift videos. Firstly, this cuts off having to watch full-games to see a kid you are interested in, turning a 2-hour event into a 20 minute one. Secondly, it gives you access to the footage you may not have.

ProspectShifts.com - Shift by shift videos of undrafted NHL prospects

Finally, I'd like to point out that HockeyProspect.com has added a new profile system for Members, that gives you more streamlined access to prospect reports. I've been very impressed by the upgrade glancing through it.

Last edited:

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
For those who liked Dellandrea, Blake Murray of the Sudbury Wolves is a very very similar player in a very similar situation, who posted really good offensive numbers this season as well. I think those who liked Dellandrea this year will also end up finding this kid as one of their favourites next year, however he is already ranked anywhere from high 2nd round to top 10 by certain sources so who knows where he'll finish. I'll admit though as a Wolves fan I'm a little biased towards him, but it also means I've watched him plenty and think he'll do great.
From the super stack to the big smoke. Love Sud.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I'm not going to pretend I have a grasp of this years draft class yet however I hope the Leafs are open to taking a winger in the 1st. Farm system is getting jammed with defenseman and on the Leafs center ice will be set for more than a half decade. Leafs will need some ELC wingers to be coming up through the system in coming years for cap relief. We're fortunate to have Johnsson, Brown, Hyman and Kapanen but in a few short years we may need to replace them rather than have to over pay on our current wingers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm not going to pretend I have a grasp of this years draft class yet however I hope the Leafs are open to taking a winger in the 1st. Farm system is getting jammed with defenseman and on the Leafs center ice will be set for more than a half decade. Leafs will need some ELC wingers to be coming up through the system in coming years for cap relief. We're fortunate to have Johnsson, Brown, Hyman and Kapanen but in a few short years we may need to replace them rather than have to over pay on our current wingers.
When you are picking in the 20's or hopefully 30's, we should be open to taking the best possible talent. We have no obvious needs that could easily be fixed there. Yes, we have weak RHD but we have quite a few in the system, and its highly unlikely someone there could immediately solve our issues. We need to get the best players to fill in those spots you mention as we need cheap replacements. Chicago was always loaded on the wings, but brining in a good player like Saad in the early 2nd, allows them to move on from guys like Versteeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad