The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Woll is about the only one who may be a number one goalie but he still has a ways to go. Goaltending is one I'm not opposed to spending a 2nd rounder on if he has number one written on him. Of course now I hope Hart isn't one, how has he looked ? It seems the Leafs see goalies as total fluke(hit and miss), perhaps because many don't hit their prime till 27?

You do know you have the leafs win the cup to pick 31st?
I'd point out, pretty much no player picked in the 2nd round is guaranteed to be anything. Generally, the top-ranked goalie is a bust. There are cases like Price and Vasilvesky. But, you see a lot more goalies who are busts. Although, I don't think the odds of a player drafted in the 2nd is generally much higher than 20% of becoming something of value (Top 9 forward, top 4 or 5 defender, starting goalie).

Uh? I was mentioning the 2016 draft where we actually picked 31st with our own pick and passed on Carter Hart because we finished dead last in the last year of the 30 team draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
out of curiosity what's the gab between the whl and the wshl just curious cause my cousin was signed by the cubs in the wshl
Huge. The Western States Hockey League is below the USHL and NAHL just for USA junior leagues. And, more players come out of USHS-Minnesota and USHS-Prep.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Huge. The Western States Hockey League is below the USHL and NAHL just for USA junior leagues. And, more players come out of USHS-Minnesota and USHS-Prep.

And they are not even close to the NAHL for number 2, and the NAHL is a far distance from the USHL for number 1. Few players get drafted out of the NAHL. Typically the best you can hope for is to do well enough to make a USHL team in your D+1 year and then do well in the USHL to get drafted. That's what happen with Prosvetov this year.

The WSHL produces hockey players that go to play in like the 4th or 5th tier of countries. Teams you probably have never heard of. I'm surprised the WSHL has not folded yet. I can not imagine they make a ton of money.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Ah yes Hart, how has he panned out ? I know one year we came up with Potvin using a second, and they knew right then they had a future goalie. I'm just pointing out that in 3 years Andersen may demand $7 to $8 Million and Niemi is an example of how you might want the next guy ready. IF Andersen wins a cup his value will be skyhigh since he pretty much carries the team on his back anyway. Point being when you have a team like ours, Goaltending is critical. If it is there I'm prepared to burn a second on a very good G prospect.

horner

May 22, 2007
Andrew Perrot D London knight's
6'00" 200 lbs
Tough as nails defenceman
Mobile
Has a good shot
Father is Nathan Perrot
I like this led alot

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ah yes Hart, how has he panned out ? I know one year we came up with Potvin using a second, and they knew right then they had a future goalie. I'm just pointing out that in 3 years Andersen may demand $7 to $8 Million and Niemi is an example of how you might want the next guy ready. IF Andersen wins a cup his value will be skyhigh since he pretty much carries the team on his back anyway. Point being when you have a team like ours, Goaltending is critical. If it is there I'm prepared to burn a second on a very good G prospect.

I personally believe we already have that in Joseph Woll

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Anyone else watching Hlinka? I've only watched the Group A games, but I have the Group B games to check out in a bit once it goes back to no nighttime hockey.

Canada seems very impressive so far. Hard to figure out who will be around when we are likely to be picking (post 20). But, the NA skill in this draft looks quite high. Krebs, Dach and especially Cozens have shown flashes in both games why they project as likely lottery picks. I like Cajkovic on the Slovaks, but he really hasn't shown too much in the two games outside of flashes of skill. Slovakia is just overmatched by both Sweden and Canada. Sweden's forward group for 2019 looks sub-par. 2020 wise it looks special (Raymond has been a standout, Holtz looks good). There are some interesting D on Sweden, but when isn't there? Sodrestrom has been alright, but probably not living up to top 10 hype he has (but its 2 games). Bjornfot has looked smart, but probably a post lotto pick. Broberg has looked impressive.

Its funny how with how when the team starts seriously competing this thread is sort of dead. Compare us to some other fanbases like MTL, Van or Detroit and the difference in the amount of posts on this topic is pretty funny considering the size of our forum. 3 years ago with this tournament on TSN we would have been going crazy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Anyone else watching Hlinka? I've only watched the Group A games, but I have the Group B games to check out in a bit once it goes back to no nighttime hockey.

Canada seems very impressive so far. Hard to figure out who will be around when we are likely to be picking (post 20). But, the NA skill in this draft looks quite high. Krebs, Dach and especially Cozens have shown flashes in both games why they project as likely lottery picks. I like Cajkovic on the Slovaks, but he really hasn't shown too much in the two games outside of flashes of skill. Slovakia is just overmatched by both Sweden and Canada. Sweden's forward group for 2019 looks sub-par. 2020 wise it looks special (Raymond has been a standout, Holtz looks good). There are some interesting D on Sweden, but when isn't there? Sodrestrom has been alright, but probably not living up to top 10 hype he has (but its 2 games). Bjornfot has looked smart, but probably a post lotto pick. Broberg has looked impressive.

Its funny how with how when the team starts seriously competing this thread is sort of dead. Compare us to some other fanbases like MTL, Van or Detroit and the difference in the amount of posts on this topic is pretty funny considering the size of our forum. 3 years ago with this tournament on TSN we would have been going crazy.

I had the Switzerland game on, but it was so lopsided, that I couldn't really read much into the quality of the Canadian players. Our new reality, is that it is improbable that we will have a pick, that will allow us to pick one of the hyped, sexy names. So it's pretty hard to get excited about a late first round pick, at this point.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Aside from just life in general right now, the draft is so far away and names go and and down over the course of the year. Coupled with the fact we're picking late or the pick could be moved for roster help, it's tough for a lot of people.

Hardcore people will make an effort right now because the draft is their thing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I had the Switzerland game on, but it was so lopsided, that I couldn't really read much into the quality of the Canadian players. Our new reality, is that it is improbable that we will have a pick, that will allow us to pick one of the hyped, sexy names. So it's pretty hard to get excited about a late first round pick, at this point.

Aside from just life in general right now, the draft is so far away and names go and and down over the course of the year. Coupled with the fact we're picking late or the pick could be moved for roster help, it's tough for a lot of people.

Hardcore people will make an effort right now because the draft is their thing.

I just enter with the mindset you have no real idea of who will be gettable in 10 months, and this is one of the easiest places to get familiar with a bunch of prospects at once. This is way more important draft wise than the WJC. Plus, unless you like watching the Jays suck, nothing is really on right now sports-wise.

I just see lots of interesting defenders. Some may rise and others will fall. Lots of people were penciling in Veleno as a top 10 pick at this point last year, we ended up passing on him at 29. Liljegren was thought of as the clear number 2. Sandin was an expected late 2nd or early 3rd, who was impressive with Boqvist.

Although, I don't disagree with the opinion its hard to talk about the draft when you expect to pick late or potentially trade the pick, and trying to project who will be pick 20 through 31 at this point would be insanity with the volitility. But, if we keep the pick, there's a good chance some of these kids on Canada, Russia or Sweden will be hotly talked about for our range in June.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I just enter with the mindset you have no real idea of who will be gettable in 10 months, and this is one of the easiest places to get familiar with a bunch of prospects at once. This is way more important draft wise than the WJC. Plus, unless you like watching the Jays suck, nothing is really on right now sports-wise.

I just see lots of interesting defenders. Some may rise and others will fall. Lots of people were penciling in Veleno as a top 10 pick at this point last year, we ended up passing on him at 29. Liljegren was thought of as the clear number 2. Sandin was an expected late 2nd or early 3rd, who was impressive with Boqvist.

Although, I don't disagree with the opinion its hard to talk about the draft when you expect to pick late or potentially trade the pick, and trying to project who will be pick 20 through 31 at this point would be insanity with the volitility. But, if we keep the pick, there's a good chance some of these kids on Canada, Russia or Sweden will be hotly talked about for our range in June.

All 100% valid points.

I think this time last year Kaut was expected to go late 2nd/early 3rd too.

Are these archived anywhere? I am coming up with a few days off and have been having hockey withdrawal.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All 100% valid points.

I think this time last year Kaut was expected to go late 2nd/early 3rd too.

Are these archived anywhere? I am coming up with a few days off and have been having hockey withdrawal.
If you have TSN with a regular cable package, the Group A games are on TSN On Demand. So, just use your television provider password to log on, or if you don't mind watching them with commericals that you can't fast forward through, they will be on TSN on-demand which you can access through channel 100 on rogers.

Group B games are on HockeyTV, and are only free while they air, and then fall under their 30 dollar a month grouping (which isn't worth it in my eyes).

Both the Semi-finals and Finals will be on TSN, and will, therefore, be archived. I think TSN only keeps the games up for a week or so though. The 4 teams in the semi's has been determined, with Sweden, USA, Canada and Russia clinching spots, but seeding to be determined tomorrow when Russia plays USA and Canada plays Sweden.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If you have TSN with a regular cable package, the Group A games are on TSN On Demand. So, just use your television provider password to log on, or if you don't mind watching them with commericals that you can't fast forward through, they will be on TSN on-demand which you can access through channel 100 on rogers.

Group B games are on HockeyTV, and are only free while they air, and then fall under their 30 dollar a month grouping (which isn't worth it in my eyes).

Both the Semi-finals and Finals will be on TSN, and will, therefore, be archived. I think TSN only keeps the games up for a week or so though. The 4 teams in the semi's has been determined, with Sweden, USA, Canada and Russia clinching spots, but seeding to be determined tomorrow when Russia plays USA and Canada plays Sweden.

Hmm, might be able to play catch up on Monday then, thanks for the heads up.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016

I've watched all four group B games. Russia and the U.S. have been unquestionably dominant through both games so far. Podkolzin has been the standout for me on the Russians but they are really deep up front as well. I could name other forwards I've been impressed by but the end result would be naming the majority of their forwards. My shortlist would be Gutik, Likhachev, and Guschin. On D, I thought Kniazev was really good against the Finns but less so against the Czechs.

The American's top line of Silianoff, Farinacci, and Mastrosimone has been super effective. Kaliyev had a quiet first game but was better against the Finns. I thought Robertson was quietly good against the Czechs but was all over the place against the Finns (in a good way). Koster has been the most noticeable American d-man for me.

Should be intersting to see how these teams matchup against each other as well as Sweden and Canada.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Not sure we keep our pick but I'm happy about the depth of nominal centers in this draft. It's very similar to the depth in D last season.

Hughes
Turcotte
Newhook
Krebs
Dach
Cozens
Lavoie
Caulfield
Nussbaumer
Murray
Suzuki
Zegras
Beecher
Alexandrov
Donovan
Spiridonov
Strondala
Zaitsev
Cajka

Reactions: hockeynorth

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This years draft appears to be deep in NHL talent, I have watch all the games on TSN thus far and have seen a few hyped players who will fall unless they pick it up. Canada is deep on the back end and there are several D players who could be steals when we draft later in the draft. There are also forwards with very high compete levels that will be available at the back end of the first round and until late 2nd round that look very interesting.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not sure we keep our pick but I'm happy about the depth of nominal centers in this draft. It's very similar to the depth in D last season.

Hughes
Turcotte
Newhook
Krebs
Dach
Cozens
Lavoie
Caulfield
Nussbaumer
Murray
Suzuki
Zegras
Beecher
Alexandrov
Donovan
Spiridonov
Strondala
Zaitsev
Cajka
Unless this is just a list, and not in order, I would put Cajkovic significantly higher. I'd also assume you mean Caufield, and not Caulfield (easy mistake, very close names and play for the same team). I'd also add Vukojevic. It wouldn't shock me to see him as the top OHLer, I'd also add Kaliyev.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Unless this is just a list, and not in order, I would put Cajkovic significantly higher. I'd also assume you mean Caufield, and not Caulfield (easy mistake, very close names and play for the same team). I'd also add Vukojevic. It wouldn't shock me to see him as the top OHLer, I'd also add Kaliyev.

It's just a list. I haven't seen or read enough to rank them yet.

Assuming the talent is equal it would be nice to get a replacement for Kadri should he leave as a free agent in a few years.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's just a list. I haven't seen or read enough to rank them yet.
Yeah, I think Cajkovic is going to destroy the QMJHL and end up in top 10 territory. He'll be pushed down probably due to positional bias, but he has a strong chance to be the 2nd best winger in the draft (atleast guy who has no chance of being a center, a bunch of guys could easily end up on the wing like Lavoie and Newhook, and even guys like Hughes, Dach and Krebs aren't sure things at the dot).

I think during the Hlinka having only watched Group A, Dylan Cozens has been the player who has most impressed me from Canada, even more than Lafreniere, although that doesn't mean he has more potential or is the better player. The 2020's on Sweden are unreal. Sweden needs to develop their answer to guys like McDavid, Matthews, Barkov, Barzal, etc, but they looked stacked on the wings and on D going forward.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->