The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As a Sudbury fan I may be biased but I've also watched him a lot, and trust me, Dellandrea lovers will love Blake Murray.
He could be this year's Hayton, although, I don't expect such a crazy rise because this years draft actually has center depth.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
He could be this year's Hayton, although, I don't expect such a crazy rise because this years draft actually has center depth.
This years lack of Centre depth was ridiculous. I don't however expect him to make it all the way to top five, but, I think he will get picked ahead if Suzuki, and right now I'd say its tight between him and Kaliev but he goes first as the first OHL player picked.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How good are the centres at the top of this years draft class?

Is there any debate about Turcotte going 2?
Where would he go in another draft? What about kakko
Very promising on the center depth, especially if you view Hughes as a long-term center. Very hard to pinpoint where Turcotte would go in another draft this far out. In my opinion, he probably would have entered 2018 as the 3rd best prospect behind Dahlin and Svechnikov. He would have entered 2017 just behind Patrick with a good case to challenge him, and would have entered 2016 at least behind Matthews, and probably behind Chychrun and Puljujarvi.

Turcotte going 2nd is still highly debatable, although, he'd probably be my pick at 2 at the moment. I like him significantly more than the WHL centers (Cozens, Krebs and Dach). This draft is unlikely to be on par with the top of 2015 and 2013 centers wise but is probably better than 2017 which had good center depth but not a truly elite prospect. 2016 was a mixed bag, Matthews was clearly elite, but PLD's position was highly debatable and then it was Brown and McLeod who I would label disappointing.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Ryan Suzuki getting slept on.
IMO he's a little overrated. Clearly a first round pick, but he wouldn't even be the first OHL player I'd pick. Right now I have Murray and Kaliev ahead, but that could change as its so early.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
IMO he's a little overrated. Clearly a first round pick, but he wouldn't even be the first OHL player I'd pick. Right now I have Murray and Kaliev ahead, but that could change as its so early.

It could change. Suzuki had a great first half, IIRC he was above PPG for 30~ games.

Tough end to the season, but man that guy is going to dominate this season. He's so good.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It could change. Suzuki had a great first half, IIRC he was above PPG for 30~ games.

Tough end to the season, but man that guy is going to dominate this season. He's so good.
I know it could change, Murray too was above for a while and Kaliev dominated all year. I think regardless its a great forward crop from the O next year. I just never fell in love with Suzuki's game personally.

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
In general, I think most places like FC (putting him at 6) are overrating him. I also don't think he was at a point per game pace anytime past the 5th game of the season. Just quickly looking at his game log.

Barrie Colts – Official site of the Barrie Colts

Yeah i misremembered. He was pretty close around the 20 game marker.

Also, decent last game of the season. Obviously a sign of things to come ;)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah i misremembered. He was pretty close around the 20 game marker.

Also, decent last game of the season. Obviously a sign of things to come ;)
haha, he'd put up 3pts a game if he could play that Sudbury team every game. They were absolutely terrible last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morgs

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
haha, I'd put up 3pts a game if he could play that Sudbury team every game. They were absolutely terrible last year.
Those days are behind us (hopefully) lol. Murray and the prospect of Byfield were the very few bright spots.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Those days are behind us (hopefully) lol. Murray and the prospect of Byfield were the very few bright spots.
I meant to put he'd instead of I'd. We'll see what they can do. They should be better. It will be interesting to see what Byfield does. I'm not sold on him making a McDavid, Tavares, Stamkos or Taylor Hall 16-year-old season impact, but he should be a good one.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
About as expected.

Cam York is a bit low for me.

Your boy Spencer Knight cracking their 1st round.
Wouldn't really call Knight my boy, I was more saying that I'd expect him to be the highest ranked goalie and he had a lot of hype around him. I'm still extremely gun-shy around the idea of taking any goalie in the 1st. I do think they are pretty good on the OHL guys. I'm not a huge Kaliyev fan though, I question his skating and effort level at times, but he's great with the puck in the offensive zone.

I don't know if these are new measurements, but I was surprised to see that Wolf was still only listed as 6 foot at the USA Hlinka Camp roster sheet.

U.S. Roster

On a thread related note though. It appears Hockey Canada is going to stream the U-18 tryout games here. I'm not 100% on this, but since they listed watch as an option I would assume they will be aired. They had this option for the U-17 Camp last week and those games are still up.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/under-18/2018-19/selection-camp/stats/schedule

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wouldn't really call Knight my boy, I was more saying that I'd expect him to be the highest ranked goalie and he had a lot of hype around him. I'm still extremely gun-shy around the idea of taking any goalie in the 1st. I do think they are pretty good on the OHL guys. I'm not a huge Kaliyev fan though, I question his skating and effort level at times, but he's great with the puck in the offensive zone.

I don't know if these are new measurements, but I was surprised to see that Wolf was still only listed as 6 foot at the USA Hlinka Camp roster sheet.

U.S. Roster

On a thread related note though. It appears Hockey Canada is going to stream the U-18 tryout games here. I'm not 100% on this, but since they listed watch as an option I would assume they will be aired. They had this option for the U-17 Camp last week and those games are still up.

Schedule and Scores

He's your top ranked goalie. That's all I meant ;) And yeah, we discussed before, I still wouldn't take a goalie in Round 1. Unless they are top 10 level, they rarely work out. The best range to me to take a goalie is the top half of the 3rd round. It's not the be all end all, but that range has the best success of where goalies were picked. You aren't using a 1st or 2nd rounder on one, but still taking a goalie ranked high enough where you've got a solid pick.

Like Joseph Woll to me was one of Hunter's best picks. Woll may turn out to be terrific value.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If there is a top prospect that plays for the greyhounds still available at where we pick, then that’s who we take.

There won't be next year. They have next to nothing in terms of talent. At best they've got a couple of mid-late round wingers who may be good bottom 6 guys in the NHL in MacKay and Carroll and a bottom pairing type guy in LeGuerrier. Unless they really take off that is.

The rest is either drafted already, or no where near worth looking at. That may change based on the moves they could start making tomorrow however.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's your top ranked goalie. That's all I meant ;) And yeah, we discussed before, I still wouldn't take a goalie in Round 1. Unless they are top 10 level, they rarely work out. The best range to me to take a goalie is the top half of the 3rd round. It's not the be all end all, but that range has the best success of where goalies were picked. You aren't using a 1st or 2nd rounder on one, but still taking a goalie ranked high enough where you've got a solid pick.

Like Joseph Woll to me was one of Hunter's best picks. Woll may turn out to be terrific value.
I liked the Woll pick too. Thought it was a good range for him. Although, there was a bunch of this board crying out for Carter Hart at 31. It will be interesting to see how that class of goalies plays out. People also liked Parsons.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I liked the Woll pick too. Thought it was a good range for him. Although, there was a bunch of this board crying out for Carter Hart at 31. It will be interesting to see how that class of goalies plays out. People also liked Parsons.

Was a good class of goalies by the looks of it

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

My issue here is that we could've taken Hart at 31 (or even traded back for him and amassed more picks), and then taken Korshkov in Woll's spot. Wanted him on draft day and it's clear that he could've entirely revamped our goaltending pipeline, but I digress

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, we are entering a period where we can start watching draft eligibles for 2019. If anyone wants to watch the Hlinka camp, all 3 inter-scrimmage games are up. A bunch of first rounders and players were at this. Here's links to all 3 games.

Schedule and Scores

The WJC Summer Showcase starts tomorrow. Not too many big names at this event in regards to the draft. Canada only has Raphael Lavoie there as a first time-eligible, Joel Teasdale and Matthew Welsh are there, who have twice gone undrafted. The United States has Jack Hughes (who barring some crazy turn of events, should just be disregarded as a potential Leaf). They also have two re-entries, in Sean Dhooge and Matt Anderson. Both Sweden and Finland probably have too many re-entries to bother mentioning. Sweden has no one who is a first time draft eligible. Finland has Kaapo Kakko (a likely top 10, if not top 5 pick), and Antonni Honka. The site also lists Ville Petman as an October 2000 birthday (which would make him a first-time eligible this year), but Elite and HockeyDB list him as born in January 2000 which would make him a re-entry.

Glad we will get some decent quality hockey to watch this week. Although, WJC Showcase is a bit of a dud from the Leafs perspective. Not one prospect of note is there for us, and pretty much everyone there from a first-time draft perspective is out of the range we are likely to be picking outside of Knight (goalies are so unpredictable), and with an outside shot at Honka and Lavoie.

Gretzky-Hlinka cup next week though should be really good for draft watchers. With everyone there yet to be draft. Excited the tournament will be easy to watch for the first time for Canadians.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Any good goalies(we need one more) to watch and what kind of a draft is this one? Last couple were a bit meh. I don't see anyone who could replace Andersen down the line yet.

Reactions: connormcmuffin

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Woll is about the only one who may be a number one goalie but he still has a ways to go. Goaltending is one I'm not opposed to spending a 2nd rounder on if he has number one written on him. Of course now I hope Hart isn't one, how has he looked ? It seems the Leafs see goalies as total fluke(hit and miss), perhaps because many don't hit their prime till 27?

You do know you have the leafs win the cup to pick 31st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->