The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Would be nice to add a true blue chip goalie prospect to our group. I can't remember the last big goalie prospect we had? Rask? Not sure i'd want to use a 1st rounder on one but if Dubas and co identify a goalie there i could support it. The 20ish range for any prospect is a roll of the dice.

Having an ELC goalie be ready in time for when all the big boys are resigned and Andersen's contract expiring would be a nice boost for short term cap savings. Similar to how Tampa has a bit of flexibility right now with Vasilevski being cheap.

I like what we did at the draft this year. We have to keep drafting and developing to have a consistent cycle of young players on ELC. Once they get costly we should be moving them and replacing them with younger cheaper players. The Browns and Hymans of the world really have no place on this team when the big boys start making money.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You have to read better. I haven't thought it through implies there have been some thoughts. Maybe you think differently or perhaps you are a contrairian but those are my predictions and in July 2018 they are as good as any.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You have to read better. I haven't thought it through implies there have been some thoughts. Maybe you think differently or perhaps you are a contrairian but those are my predictions and in July 2018 they are as good as any.

If there are some thoughts, they are poor at best.

You seriously think Vancouver would ever consider.

Brown

for

Virtanen
Tanev
and Vancouver's first in 2019, after the draft lottery, and they are picking 1st OA.

I'm not going to argue about the merits of Brown vs. Virtanen, though their value is probably fairly close.

But then to throw in Tanev, a top 4 D, who is an elite defender AND the 1st OA pick. LOL Even in some completely misguided notion that Tanev becomes injured this year to the point that he never plays again.... Vancouver aren't in any Cap trouble, or revenue trouble, and would have no need to remove him from their books. Even if they needed to remove him from the books, no team would ever give the 1st OA up for someone to take a body for ONE season, and LTIR them. That's just ridiculous.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If there are some thoughts, they are poor at best.

You seriously think Vancouver would ever consider.

Brown

for

Virtanen
Tanev
and Vancouver's first in 2019, after the draft lottery, and they are picking 1st OA.

I'm not going to argue about the merits of Brown vs. Virtanen, though their value is probably fairly close.

But then to throw in Tanev, a top 4 D, who is an elite defender AND the 1st OA pick. LOL Even in some completely misguided notion that Tanev becomes injured this year to the point that he never plays again.... Vancouver aren't in any Cap trouble, or revenue trouble, and would have no need to remove him from their books. Even if they needed to remove him from the books, no team would ever give the 1st OA up for someone to take a body for ONE season, and LTIR them. That's just ridiculous.
You know there is an ignore button. Feel free to use it if you don't like my ideas. I won't take it personally.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
I’m against taking a goalie in round 1.

But boy, Dustin Wolf to me is easily the best goalie in the draft. Had a tremendous rookie year in the WHL. I think by the end of the year, he’ll be ranked in round 1
interesting. He's not a prototypical goalie. He's tiny!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
interesting. He's not a prototypical goalie. He's tiny!

He's 6'0, by next summer he'll probably be 6'0.5 - 6'1.

I think the whole "goalies must be 6'3 or taller to be good" is sorta over now. Both Fleury and Holtby are listed as 6'2. Bobrovsky is 6'2. Quick is 6'1. Lundqvist is 6'1.

But hey, if Dustin Wolf falls into the late 2nd round because he's not 6'3, I'll be more than happy to snag him then :laugh:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

I think the whole "goalies must be 6'3 or taller to be good" is sorta over now. Both Fleury and Holtby are listed as 6'2. Bobrovsky is 6'2. Quick is 6'1. Lundqvist is 6'1.

But hey, if Dustin Wolf falls into the late 2nd round because he's not 6'3, I'll be more than happy to snag him then :laugh:
More recently wasn't Carter Hart 5'11" in his draft year or something? Now he's 6'2". As long as they're not Enroth small, they can play in todays game.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
More recently wasn't Carter Hart 5'11" in his draft year or something? Now he's 6'2". As long as they're not Enroth small, they can play in todays game.

He was 6'1". He may have grown a bit but at the same time it could have been fudged a bit.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I think Dipietro showed how smaller goalies are viewed at the draft. He measured in at 6 foot exactly. He slipped to the early 3rd and went behind more prototypical builds in Oettinger and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think Dipietro showed how smaller goalies are viewed at the draft. He measured in at 6 foot exactly. He slipped to the early 3rd and went behind more prototypical builds in Oettinger and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen.

Still sad we didn't take him

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I do not think it is a must as much as they'll have to be well above average to make up for it. It's kind of like really small players. If they are amazing, then they'll make it regardless of size, but they are going to have a lot tougher time making it than someone who is skilled and larger.

I do not think goalies who are under 6'1" are going to be that popular regardless of how good they are. Unless they are someone like Saros, who would have easily been a 1st round goalie had he been a normal size, most of them are going to be ignored. Then the 6'1/6'2" goalies will probably be taken a bit lower than if they were a few inches bigger, but if they are good, they'll still end up taken eventually.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I do not think it is a must as much as they'll have to be well above average to make up for it. It's kind of like really small players. If they are amazing, then they'll make it regardless of size, but they are going to have a lot tougher time making it than someone who is skilled and larger.

I do not think goalies who are under 6'1" are going to be that popular regardless of how good they are. Unless they are someone like Saros, who would have easily been a 1st round goalie had he been a normal size, most of them are going to be ignored. Then the 6'1/6'2" goalies will probably be taken a bit lower than if they were a few inches bigger, but if they are good, they'll still end up taken eventually.
Pronman mentioned in his piece about the USA Hlinka camp that Wolf was 5'11. If that's his actual height, it will be very hard to get drafted before the 4th.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Definitely need to draft a high end goalie if there is one in this draft. I cannot see Frederik Andersen being a part of this team after his current contract runs out. I don't think it makes sense to have a goalie making that much money in our cap structure.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Definitely need to draft a high end goalie if there is one in this draft. I cannot see Frederik Andersen being a part of this team after his current contract runs out. I don't think it makes sense to have a goalie making that much money in our cap structure.
Generally not worthwhile to draft goalies high. Its better to acquire young promising one through trades like we did with Andersen. Plus, any goalie we draft, I doubt they will be ready to be an NHLer in 2021-22. The only hope would be for Woll to be ready by then. I can't think of the last goalie who was ready to be an NHL starting goalie 2 years after their draft.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Generally not worthwhile to draft goalies high. Its better to acquire young promising one through trades like we did with Andersen. Plus, any goalie we draft, I doubt they will be ready to be an NHLer in 2021-22. The only hope would be for Woll to be ready by then. I can't think of the last goalie who was ready to be an NHL starting goalie 2 years after their draft.

True, I think it makes a lot of sense to make an Andersen type trade and sign the goalie to a four or five year deal and recycle. I'd be disappointed if we re-signed Andersen, unless the cap really blows up in a couple of years.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Making 5M?

Freddy is a bargain. If he's willing to stick around, which he probably will, we certainly should be looking to keep him.

It's very hard to find a quality starting goalie. Freddy is that.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Making 5M?

Freddy is a bargain. If he's willing to stick around, which he probably will, we certainly should be looking to keep him.

It's very hard to find a quality starting goalie. Freddy is that.

He won’t be making 5M in his next contract. I’m happy with him now for another 3 years but after that he will likely have to go. Don’t think it makes a whole lot of sense to pay him 6.5-7M when he’s 31-32 years old.

We can save that money and use it elsewhere and use a cheap goalie. Hopefully Sparks can be the answer. He doesn’t have to be elite. Just has to be a decent #1 goalie.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He won’t be making 5M in his next contract. I’m happy with him now for another 3 years but after that he will likely have to go. Don’t think it makes a whole lot of sense to pay him 6.5-7M when he’s 31-32 years old.

We can save that money and use it elsewhere and use a cheap goalie. Hopefully Sparks can be the answer. He doesn’t have to be elite. Just has to be a decent #1 goalie.

Even if he gets a raise, he'll be getting 5.5-6.5ish. Just 5 goalies make more than that currently, and maybe one of them could be considered a good contract. Depending how the cap rises, maybe it sneaks up to the 7ish range, but that would still be the same cap percentage. That is well worth it. Freddy is a key to the team. If you look around the league, there's only like 8 to 11 good to elite starting goalies, the rest are average. With how the Leafs team is built, they need a good to elite starter, as we have less cap to put into our defense.

You don't trade or not re-sign a goaltender like Andersen. He's a good to great starting goalie, and they aren't what you walk away from because they turn 31.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Even if he gets a raise, he'll be getting 5.5-6.5ish. Just 5 goalies make more than that currently, and maybe one of them could be considered a good contract. Depending how the cap rises, maybe it sneaks up to the 7ish range, but that would still be the same cap percentage. That is well worth it. Freddy is a key to the team. If you look around the league, there's only like 8 to 11 good to elite starting goalies, the rest are average. With how the Leafs team is built, they need a good to elite starter, as we have less cap to put into our defense.

You don't trade or not re-sign a goaltender like Andersen. He's a good to great starting goalie, and they aren't what you walk away from because they turn 31.

Mostly agree with this except for one key point - Andersen simply must play better in the playoffs and if he doesn't, we'll be looking for a new starting goalie well before his current contract expires. Good to great in the regular season followed by mediocre to poor in the playoffs just isn't going to cut it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Would be nice to add a true blue chip goalie prospect to our group. I can't remember the last big goalie prospect we had? Rask? Not sure i'd want to use a 1st rounder on one but if Dubas and co identify a goalie there i could support it. The 20ish range for any prospect is a roll of the dice.

Having an ELC goalie be ready in time for when all the big boys are resigned and Andersen's contract expiring would be a nice boost for short term cap savings. Similar to how Tampa has a bit of flexibility right now with Vasilevski being cheap.

I like what we did at the draft this year. We have to keep drafting and developing to have a consistent cycle of young players on ELC. Once they get costly we should be moving them and replacing them with younger cheaper players. The Browns and Hymans of the world really have no place on this team when the big boys start making money.

We never had many goalie prospects since Rask at all. Reimer, Rollheiser, Sparks, Bibeau, Woll, Scott and Bouthillier. Those were the only ones we drafted. Woll doesn't look much worse than most goalie prospects at his age, and he has all of the tools you want out of a high end goalie. It's all about how we develop him at this point. Scott is a longer shot, but he could be very good himself. Spending a high pick on a goalie does not mean as much as simple development of that goalie.

Also, when the guys starting get paid, the guys who are really expendable are Marleau and Horton. We have 14 mill in cap space right now (minus Nylander) but that also includes spending 11.55 mill on those two. Spending 4.3 mill combined for two players, both of whom (alone) could make a larger contribution than Marleau making 6.25 mill is not the problem. We are not going to need to worry about money for this year or even really next year, so we are going to be fine as long as the Big 3 stay under 25 mill combined. Considering 25 mill combined is already 2 mill over what they deserve combined, that should not be hard for Dubas to achieve. We have to start worrying when the Hyman's and Brown's start asking for 4+ mill a year, but we are not going to have problems finding replacements for them by that point. If the Marlies are any indication, we have more players than spots to give them at this point.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

I wouldn't gamble taking a goalie in the 1st round unless he dazzles like Vasilevskiy did when he played for Russia. I also would keep Joseph Woll on your radar! Not many teams draft goalies in the first round

2008:
Chet Pickard - 18th overall - NSH
Tom McCollum - 30th overall - DET

2009:
none

2010:
Jack Campbell - 10th overall - Dal
Mark Visentin - 27th overall - ARZ

2011:
none

2012:
Andrei Vasilevskiy - 19th - Tampa