The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He had large lead on the second highest scorer on PA before he left for the WJC. He is the great player on that team. He was also quite good at the WJC as well. Better than several other high profile guys.

There is more to a player, especially ones in the CHL, than just production. You want to be able to transfer it and provide more than it.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
There is more to a player, especially ones in the CHL, than just production. You want to be able to transfer it and provide more than it.
I agree, Leason doesn't have elite puck skills.
But he projects as a solid 200ft does everything right sort of player. Leafs could certainly use that right now.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
lebrun says the pick is available for the right top 4 RHD.

I don't think the leafs will keep it

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A mid 20's pick in this draft won't get you a top 4 RHD due to there being none on the market. Its going to need to be packaged with Sandin or Liljegren at a minimum.

I'd stay away from Tanev at this point, he looks past his best before date and has always had health issues.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I agree, Leason doesn't have elite puck skills.
But he projects as a solid 200ft does everything right sort of player. Leafs could certainly use that right now.

That's what I mean. I said he's an excellent fit for the Leafs, but he's not a player with 1st round type of skill, despite what his production says about him. There are other players with more upside who are also excellent fits for the Leafs.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
That's what I mean. I said he's an excellent fit for the Leafs, but he's not a player with 1st round type of skill, despite what his production says about him. There are other players with more upside who are also excellent fits for the Leafs.

But Leason is the player you take in the 1st round though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
But Leason is the player you take in the 1st round though.

All I am going to say is that he would not be the BPA anywhere in the first round.

I have been doing a lot of research to make a draft board, and have followed this guy for two-half seasons now. Even in this somewhat weaker low-end of the first round, he still does not make the cut for me. I even think there is a distinct enough possibility that he could make it to the Leafs' 2nd round pick, but he does not start entering the BPA territory until the late 30's or early 40's. Maybe that changes by the end of the year, but there are some really underrated guys that I think are better than him.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
All I am going to say is that he would not be the BPA anywhere in the first round.

I have been doing a lot of research to make a draft board, and have followed this guy for two-half seasons now. Even in this somewhat weaker low-end of the first round, he still does not make the cut for me. I even think there is a distinct enough possibility that he could make it to the Leafs' 2nd round pick, but he does not start entering the BPA territory until the late 30's or early 40's. Maybe that changes by the end of the year, but there are some really underrated guys that I think are better than him.

I think you are undervaluing him due to him being an over-ager.

He is a BPA after 20 imo

Reactions: Duffman955

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think you are undervaluing him due to him being an over-ager.

He is a BPA after 20 imo

Being older does take away some value. A ton of players put together amazing seasons in their D+2 years and do not get drafted at all. Leason's is special, which is why he's even being considered in the top 60 as a D+2 (which is rare in itself) in the first place, but even despite that it does not change his skill level in general, especially for his age.

Also, not to mention, but Prince Albert's historic season is also something that is helping him shine a bit more too. They do not have really any high end talent, but every single player on that team plays well on pretty much every single night. Imagine a team with the best goalie, best defensive group, and best forward depth in the league, and that is Prince Albert right now. Leason is a part of it, but he's also benefitting a lot from it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This draft is pretty bad after 15, which leaves Leason as a possibility at any point past then. To be honest, I'm not particularly impressed by anyone after Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Cozens, Dach, Krebs, Boldy and Podkolzin. I'd possibly add Byram and Zegras to that list. Now, I'd pretty comfortably take someone like Soderstrom, Cam York, Newhook, or Broberg over Leason, but after that, there's no one I'm really sold on. Although, I'm not a huge fan in allocating high picks to overagers. If we keep on using higher picks on these guys well create a small age gap in our prospect pool. If we took Leason, our best prospects under 20 next year will basically be Sandin, and whatever SDA, Stotts and our 2nd our. And, if we take Leason with a late 1st, he better be AHL ready. I'm not a fan at all of using top 93 picks on guys who we want to beat up on CHLers as a 20 year old. A pick that high means you should be AHL ready at 20, regardless of AHL depth.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This draft is pretty bad after 15, which leaves Leason as a possibility at any point past then. To be honest, I'm not particularly impressed by anyone after Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Cozens, Dach, Krebs, Boldy and Podkolzin. I'd possibly add Byram and Zegras to that list. Now, I'd pretty comfortably take someone like Soderstrom, Cam York, Newhook, or Broberg over Leason, but after that, there's no one I'm really sold on. Although, I'm not a huge fan in allocating high picks to overagers. If we keep on using higher picks on these guys well create a small age gap in our prospect pool. If we took Leason, our best prospects under 20 next year will basically be Sandin, and whatever SDA, Stotts and our 2nd our. And, if we take Leason with a late 1st, he better be AHL ready. I'm not a fan at all of using top 93 picks on guys who we want to beat up on CHLers as a 20 year old. A pick that high means you should be AHL ready at 20, regardless of AHL depth.

I'd easily add Kaliyev and Suzuki to that list. Tomasino. Robertson. Vlasic. Seider. Pelletier, Harley, Brink. Some would even consider Poulin, Lavoie, or Foote pretty high up too. Not entirely sure where I'd rank them yet, but most have them somewhere in the mid-late 1st round, and I'd probably have at least Lavoie and Poulin over Leason.

McMichael is climbing up kind of like Robert Thomas did, but I think McMichael is more suited as a winger. Guskov has also turned some heads, but I think he's more of a 2nd round type guy. Cole Caufield if people want to follow the DeBrincat hype.

I could probably give out a handful of others. It is nothing spectacular, but I think it is better than some of the past years. The main thing is that I do not think there is much differentiating the players around the 25 mark to the players around the 40 mark. I do not think whomever we could get at 25 is going to be significantly better than anyone we could get by trading down once or twice, like we did in the 2015 draft. So I would either trade up to get into the next tier, or trade down and let other team's take their guys and just settle on one or two guys who are left. Like if there is a team with two picks in the mid-30's, trade for them instead.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd easily add Kaliyev and Suzuki to that list. Tomasino. Robertson. Vlasic. Seider. Pelletier, Harley, Brink. Some would even consider Poulin, Lavoie, or Foote pretty high up too. Not entirely sure where I'd rank them yet, but most have them somewhere in the mid-late 1st round, and I'd probably have at least Lavoie and Poulin over Leason.

McMichael is climbing up kind of like Robert Thomas did, but I think McMichael is more suited as a winger. Guskov has also turned some heads, but I think he's more of a 2nd round type guy. Cole Caufield if people want to follow the DeBrincat hype.

I could probably give out a handful of others. It is nothing spectacular, but I think it is better than some of the past years. The main thing is that I do not think there is much differentiating the players around the 25 mark to the players around the 40 mark. I do not think whomever we could get at 25 is going to be significantly better than anyone we could get by trading down once or twice, like we did in the 2015 draft. So I would either trade up to get into the next tier, or trade down and let other team's take their guys and just settle on one or two guys who are left. Like if there is a team with two picks in the mid-30's, trade for them instead.
I'm not a fan of Suzuki or Kaliyev. Suzuki is such a passive player who doesn't impose his will on games at all. He can easily disappear for long stretches. Kaliyev just isn't a good skater and I don't see his one-trick pony act carrying over that well.

I think this is the weakest draft in recent years outside of 2017.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Too early to form opinions on 2020's depth, but the top end looks good. Although, I'm not sold on the hype around some of the kids as of yet. Byfield is good, but he's not a Stamkos or JT level prospect who dominated the OHL at 16.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not a fan of Suzuki or Kaliyev. Suzuki is such a passive player who doesn't impose his will on games at all. He can easily disappear for long stretches. Kaliyev just isn't a good skater and I don't see his one-trick pony act carrying over that well.

I think this is the weakest draft in recent years outside of 2017.

So not the worst year to trade our 1st?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So not the worst year to trade our 1st?
No, I would be fine with moving it for the right piece. Although, historically, there is rarely a difference between drafts after 10 to 15 or so. Its just a bit more erratic on where gems are found.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No, I would be fine with moving it for the right piece. Although, historically, there is rarely a difference between drafts after 10 to 15 or so. Its just a bit more erratic on where gems are found.

I'm going to see the draft, was wondering internally if I should bother going if the Leafs traded their 1st but decided I would still go. Something cool to cross off my bucket list.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm going to see the draft, was wondering internally if I should bother going if the Leafs traded their 1st but decided I would still go. Something cool to cross off my bucket list.

I would imagine it would be boring unless your team is drafting.

The only exception would be if the Draft was in Toronto, because it may take some time for it to come back.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would imagine it would be boring unless your team is drafting.

The only exception would be if the Draft was in Toronto, because it may take some time for it to come back.

For some of the guys in the 20-31 range, I just flat out don't know much about them which is where TV helps.

I bought the NHL Draft Black book for the first time last draft which was pretty damn informative. Seems mostly accurate so far on our picks from last draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad