The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Unfortunately not, Bryam is considered a top 10 pick for most.

I've seen him drop a bit.

I just look at Ty Smith dropping to 17 this past year. Maybe it is less likely since there are not too many high end defensemen in the upper parts of the draft besides guys like him and Broberg (while Smith had to compete with Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, etc.), but I do not think Byram is better than Smith. He's possibly even worse than Smith.

Reactions: Morgs

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I mean, I believe most scouts believe this is the weakest draft in the last 5 seasons. Hence, why aside from the top 5; nobody knows who will go where in the draft.
How is that a reason the draft is weak? Did you already forget last season? Veleno falling to 30, Foudy at 18, Dellandrea at 13, Hayton 5, O'Brien 19.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
How is that a reason the draft is weak? Did you already forget last season? Veleno falling to 30, Foudy at 18, Dellandrea at 13, Hayton 5, O'Brien 19.

I think they're trading the pick if it gets them a RHD

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
The idea is that the draft is weak, so practically anyone outside the top 5 is completely whoever the team prefers. Some people have Turcotte as a 2nd rounder, some have him as a top 4 pick.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The idea is that the draft is weak, so practically anyone outside the top 5 is completely whoever the team prefers. Some people have Turcotte as a 2nd rounder, some have him as a top 4 pick.
Again, that has no reason to imply that this is a weak draft... Turcotte has been injured most of the year so people have dropped him. If you're going off of peoples lists like Button's, he has been notorious for ranking certain players really low for the entire year.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Moritz Seider seems like a match made in heaven. Big, mobile RHD playing in the DEL as a 17 year old whose ETA seems pretty short compared to some others in the latter 1st.

Afraid Boston will also have him in their sights after taking Carlo and Vaak in previous years.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Moritz Seider seems like a match made in heaven. Big, mobile RHD playing in the DEL as a 17 year old whose ETA seems pretty short compared to some others in the latter 1st.

Afraid Boston will also have him in their sights after taking Carlo and Vaak in previous years.

I've had some interest in him as well, I've looked at some mocks drafts and he's all over the place, mid teens to early 2nd round

There's some serious variance in lists this year

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
I've had some interest in him as well, I've looked at some mocks drafts and he's all over the place, mid teens to early 2nd round

Lots of variance in lists because of the weak draft. Anyone can jump into the top 10 based off being a favourite.
Expect lots of people to drop/picked early.

Reactions: Kiwi

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Agreed, I think its safe to say he averages around the late teens to early twenties with the potential to be a riser due to his tools.

I have a gut feeling that Dubas will flip the script this year and trade up a few spots (nothing crazy) to target their guy. Could see Seider as a candidate.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Look out for Joe Carroll from the Soo. The kid has had a slow start but is a real diamond in the rough. He’s likely a 2nd rounder, but with a good second half he could squeak into #31.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Look out for Joe Carroll from the Soo. The kid has had a slow start but is a real diamond in the rough. He’s likely a 2nd rounder, but with a good second half he could squeak into #31.

Unlikely. Getting ranked in the 2nd round was a stretch from the beginning, and he has only shown to be getting worse from there.

Leafs should have him nowhere near their 1st round tier unless he magically has a Foudy-like run. Even right now I think he's fallen out of 2nd round territory for most teams.

Reactions: PuckLife

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
Agreed, I think its safe to say he averages around the late teens to early twenties with the potential to be a riser due to his tools.

I have a gut feeling that Dubas will flip the script this year and trade up a few spots (nothing crazy) to target their guy. Could see Seider as a candidate.
I agree with the Dubas trading up, Leafs are in the unique position of needing NHL players on ELCs.
If Dubas thinks their is a player in the draft, such as Seider, who could be NHL ready in 2 years, instead of drafting a player 4 or 5 years out. He might take a gamble and trade up.

That being said the guy who makes the NHL in his first or second season, doesn't mean he is better than a guy that blooms late. Got to remember Kapanen from the 2014 draft, just made the NHL full-time; that's 4 years post draft.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Anyone have any info on Brett Leason? Seems like an intriguing prospect with Kylas Dubas written all over him.

I like him as a player, and Babcock would too, but I do not like him where he is ranked for what he projects to become. He's very much like a Tanner Pearson would be, and while I would not scoff at adding a Tanner Pearson, I do not think you need to spend your best pick on him either. There are a few other guys, like Sam Poulin for example, who I think could drop and be available at our 2nd round pick (if we still have it), and I think Sam Poulin has far more high end skill and potential than Leason does (even if his floor is lower as a younger prospect).

If Leason was still out there for our 2nd round pick, I am sure the Leafs will jump all over him. As much as I am not a huge fan of D+2 picks, he is just a player who fits the Leafs' profile perfectly, and has size to boot. The larger issue is figuring out how to fit in another RW when you already have at least 2 or 3 prospects (not including LW's who could easily make the switch to the other side) within a year of being able to make a good jump to the NHL (Bracco, Korshkov and Moore), and Marner/Nylander/Kapanen already entrenched in your top 9. Not that it should be a deterrant or anything, but if there are so many prospects closely bunch together, they may decide to go after a very similar LW like a John Beecher or Sam Poulin with their 2nd round pick instead.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
I like him as a player, and Babcock would too, but I do not like him where he is ranked for what he projects to become. He's very much like a Tanner Pearson would be, and while I would not scoff at adding a Tanner Pearson, I do not think you need to spend your best pick on him either. There are a few other guys, like Sam Poulin for example, who I think could drop and be available at our 2nd round pick (if we still have it), and I think Sam Poulin has far more high end skill and potential than Leason does (even if his floor is lower as a younger prospect).

If Leason was still out there for our 2nd round pick, I am sure the Leafs will jump all over him. As much as I am not a huge fan of D+2 picks, he is just a player who fits the Leafs' profile perfectly, and has size to boot. The larger issue is figuring out how to fit in another RW when you already have at least 2 or 3 prospects (not including LW's who could easily make the switch to the other side) within a year of being able to make a good jump to the NHL (Bracco, Korshkov and Moore), and Marner/Nylander/Kapanen already entrenched in your top 9. Not that it should be a deterrant or anything, but if there are so many prospects closely bunch together, they may decide to go after a very similar LW like a John Beecher or Sam Poulin with their 2nd round pick instead.

Quick difference is, Leason is posting better stats than Pearson did. In addition, Leason is posting better stats than Cody Glass, while being younger. Leason, as stated is probably closer to the NHL then most prospects.

I think he will be gone before the tail end of the 1st, but if we pick in the mid 20s; there is a chance he is available

Reactions: Morgs

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit

I wouldn't be too concerned about the log jam. I feel like guys like brown, Kapanen, and Johnsson will have to be traded and replaced with cheaper alternatives, and having more options is always better. Thanks for the info on Leason.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Quick difference is, Leason is posting better stats than Pearson did. In addition, Leason is posting better stats than Cody Glass, while being younger. Leason, as stated is probably closer to the NHL then most prospects.

I think he will be gone before the tail end of the 1st, but if we pick in the mid 20s; there is a chance he is available

I wouldn't take him even in the tail end of the first. I followed this guy last year too, because I follow Prince Albert as a team (plus Ian Scott). He was a great player, even last year. He is hard working. He is someone you would love to have on your team. My issue with him is that, despite the numbers, his skill set is not going to match up. He plays with great players all of the time. He plays on a deep team. He creates chances but his real successes come from always being in the right area and making the plays he needs to make to be successful, even though he does not have the best skill set. His shot is nothing special, he's got decent but not special hands or playmaking ability, his skating is great for his size but not spectacular enough where he is really going to outskate most people in the NHL, he does not use his size to his full advantage, he does not have a standout defensive game, etc. His IQ I think is really the thing that makes him stand out more than most, on top of not really having any glaring weaknesses... Unless being a jack-of-all, master-of-few is a weakness.

I love a player with his kind of IQ, and I think it'll even play well in the NHL, but at some point you need to have the skill to match. Even if you have skilled line mates to give you opportunities, and you know where you have to be, you still need to skill to ultimately execute at the highest level. I am not saying that he will never get those skills, but he's a D+2 who still does not have those skills like some of the other top prospects do (despite a major leap forward this past offseason) and I would say there will be a few other guys I'd rather take in that range. He's almost certainly going to be on my draft board, but I just do not think I will have him as high as necessary to get him.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I wouldn't take him even in the tail end of the first. I followed this guy last year too, because I follow Prince Albert as a team (plus Ian Scott). He was a great player, even last year. He is hard working. He is someone you would love to have on your team. My issue with him is that, despite the numbers, his skill set is not going to match up. He plays with great players all of the time. He plays on a deep team. He creates chances but his real successes come from always being in the right area and making the plays he needs to make to be successful, even though he does not have the best skill set. His shot is nothing special, he's got decent but not special hands or playmaking ability, his skating is great for his size but not spectacular enough where he is really going to outskate most people in the NHL, he does not use his size to his full advantage, he does not have a standout defensive game, etc. His IQ I think is really the thing that makes him stand out more than most, on top of not really having any glaring weaknesses... Unless being a jack-of-all, master-of-few is a weakness.

I love a player with his kind of IQ, and I think it'll even play well in the NHL, but at some point you need to have the skill to match. Even if you have skilled line mates to give you opportunities, and you know where you have to be, you still need to skill to ultimately execute at the highest level. I am not saying that he will never get those skills, but he's a D+2 who still does not have those skills like some of the other top prospects do (despite a major leap forward this past offseason) and I would say there will be a few other guys I'd rather take in that range. He's almost certainly going to be on my draft board, but I just do not think I will have him as high as necessary to get him.
He had large lead on the second highest scorer on PA before he left for the WJC. He is the great player on that team. He was also quite good at the WJC as well. Better than several other high profile guys.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The way I see it with Leason is if we picked him around 30 in the 2017 draft, we would be thrilled with his development. Guy is outproducing the 6th OA pick (who is having a great season) in that draft with less help around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad