NESN The NESN ticker isn't going away and the dream is viewers betting using their remotes

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
There are way more people that don't do pot or gamble. To serve both up on a silver platter, being able to get/do both with ease is absolutely insane, but both will bring mega bucks in so they are all for it. A lot of people didn't do that stuff because it wasn't the easiest thing to do or get.

and you can just as easily gamble away the house while killing yourself with poison at your corner liquor store/bar of choice

sports betting has been easy since the internet

getting pot, even before legalization, was one of the easiest things to do

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

Wall-E, Infinite Jest... Only a matter of time until weeks, months, and entire years are sponsored by corporations, right?

I feel like a bit of a conspiracy weirdo but it feels inevitable that will happen.

Is the moon owned by Doritos yet? :laugh:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Wall-E, Infinite Jest... Only a matter of time until weeks, months, and entire years are sponsored by corporations, right?

I feel like a bit of a conspiracy weirdo but it feels inevitable that will happen.

Is the moon owned by Doritos yet? :laugh:
I mean the month of May is already sponsored by Justin Timberlake, so we're already there.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
and you can just as easily gamble away the house while killing yourself with poison at your corner liquor store/bar of choice

sports betting has been easy since the internet

getting pot, even before legalization, was one of the easiest things to do
This is all about the convenience of having the option to gamble from your living room/bed/toilet, without having to do anything besides watch your local sports game. It will absolutely draw more people in who give it a try and find they like it where they may have not had the temptation before.

Reactions: Fenway

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I mean the month of May is already sponsored by Justin Timberlake, so we're already there.

If there's one thing that worries me about the future, it's that The Mouse owns way too many things and has way too much influence.

1c8ace8f-every-company-disney-owns-13_pageversion-lg.jpg

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If there's one thing that worries me about the future, it's that The Mouse owns way too many things and has way too much influence.

1c8ace8f-every-company-disney-owns-13_pageversion-lg.jpg
This is legitimately horrifying to look at.

I knew Disney owned or had their hand in a lot of stuff, but...oh boy.

All hail overlord Mickey Mouse.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Kids watch sports on NESN, now they'll have gambling ads aimed at them. Awesome.

This actually might be an argument for making the posting of odds illegal, or at least morally indefensible.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
If they ever wanted to go Big Brother, they have plenty of outlets to push a message through.

entertainment conglomerates like that dont scare me as much.

New media conglomerates scare me infinitely more.

Such as Sinclair Broadcasting, which owns/operates 193 local network affiliates across the US and owns local affiliates of all major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox)

Or News Corp which owns the major news and financial papers in the US, UK and Australia. Such as the NY Times, Wall St Journal, The Sun, The Telegraph, the Dow Jones Index and countless TV news media most notably Fox News

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

Such as Sinclair Broadcasting, which owns/operates 193 local network affiliates across the US and owns local affiliates of all major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox)

Or News Corp which owns the major news and financial papers in the US, UK and Australia. Such as the NY Times, Wall St Journal, The Sun, The Telegraph, the Dow Jones Index and countless TV news media most notably Fox News

Tomorrow's News Today!

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Most notably there was a youtube video that was floating around in the past that had an absurd amount of "local" news stations repeating the exact same story the exact same way.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
It's proving that the "everything is designed to separate you from you money" phrase is correct.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I don't know if I see that happening. I'd think most people who want to sports gamble already do, despite the legality. I know plenty of people that use private bookies in states where bets can't be placed legally. Legalizing sports gambling is very similar to the legalization of marijuana in the sense that its something thats already widespread, so the states might as well take advantage of the potential tax revenue.

I agree 100%. I like betting on big sports events and have no problem finding a bookie to use and I'm very very occasional... I don't smoke weed but even before it was legal it wasn't hard to get... At least now it'll be safer and taxed so that's good... Will it lead to more abuse? No idea...

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Sports gambling and the stock market are the same thing in principle. Putting money into speculation over performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad