the Nash trade - We won

Status
Not open for further replies.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Both teams do the deal 7 days a week. So it's even.

This team does, debatable I think if the NYR do. maybe 6 days/week.

No toxic hatred of Nash from me, but not a lot of love for a guy who demands a trade. I'm delighting in seeing that team struggle and it's only partly because we own their No. 1 pick.

I think it's too soon to say, but I don't think we lost the trade and there's a good chance we end up winning.

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
I think Rick was a good guy, but what i covet is every single lottery pick we can get. We need some offensive studs, and that's the best place to get them.

CBJ103

Mar 15, 2011
Powell, OH
It's way too early to tell if the CBJ "won" or "lost" the Nash trade, unless your definition of "winning the trade" is not being an obvious terrible move which is clear to all within the first 35 games ("We won because it could have been worse."). Most likely, the trade will turn out to be one where neither team either won or lost. But it's WAY too early to determine that.

With respect to the CBJ's relative success recently, it should be obvious that the trade which brought Bob and his hot streak to Columbus is the trade that was (to date) more important. Whether or not that will continue to be the case remains to be seen, but at the present time that's the reality.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
If the goal prior to a trade request was still to build AROUND Nash, who turned 28 in June, I don't see how it isn't a win. That theme has been played out for 10 years and it never really came close to being complete.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't know how Ranger fans view it. I'd guess they like Nash but miss the guys they gave up. I think the Jackets are better for it. Some addition by subtraction, the other by who we got and will get.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I don't know how Ranger fans view it. I'd guess they like Nash but miss the guys they gave up. I think the Jackets are better for it. Some addition by subtraction, the other by who we got and will get.

Judging from my limited visits to the Rangers boards, a few Rangers fans think the trade was a mistake, many more think that other than Lundqvist Nash is the best player on the team.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive. The problem with Nash is he'll be the best player on the team but he'll also suck the soul out of the team. Rangers fans are way down on Richards and pretty down on Gaborik, and maybe the problems those guys are having are independent of Nash. But they're talking about a "funk" the team is in and how the team isn't playing with any pride. Those are familiar and now past problems for the Jackets. I think it's hard to look past Nash's talents and see the intangible negative effect he can have on a team. I'm very interested to see if I'm very wrong about this or if Nash will have a hard time getting his leadership to match his talent.

Your last sentence is spot on

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
is erixon ok? can anyone find out?

No news yet. I'm sure someone will post when the report comes out. Relax, he's probably fine. There was no collision or anything obvious, other than the awkward play where he scrambled in the net, ultimately scoring on his own team inadvertently. He could've tweaked something there in that weird fall.

You are pretty frantic. Relax....

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Preds fan here

You won. Like you won a lot. It's like you cashed in all your dogma chips like Canadians cash in Canadian Tire cash.

A) Nash trade great win. You became Nashville-esque.

B) Bob, Howson went and screwed Homer. Think about that....

C) Foligno, a win for both teams.

Howson lost his job but he went out like a boss

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
Preds fan here

You won. Like you won a lot. It's like you cashed in all your dogma chips like Canadians cash in Canadian Tire cash.

Yep.......this.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Not only did we win based on player for players value we won in the CBJ room as well... I can't say I knew the player for player value would be better but I did know our room would change with Nash gone... Not saying Nash was bad in the room, simply the room plays to win as a group now instead of hoping a super star can win it for them...

Best trade Howson made... his mistake was listening to the fans and the emotion linked to Nash instead of building a winning team, he should have traded Nash two or more years ago....

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'd say it's a push for now. We win if:
1.) Duby can stay healthy
2.) Erixon turns into a beast
3.) We get someone good with the Rangers 1st round pick.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'd say it's a push for now. We win if:
1.) Duby can stay healthy
2.) Erixon turns into a beast
3.) We get someone good with the Rangers 1st round pick.

Rangers now shut out in two straight games and face a tough upcoming schedule (Jets, Pens x 2 I think).

winning...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Seriously if they lose a few more, Caps and Islanders win a few...theyll be locked out of a spot..

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Seriously if they lose a few more, Caps and Islanders win a few...theyll be locked out of a spot..

They're doing the math on the Rangers board and consensus seems to be they need to go 10-4 or something to make it in. Consensus also seems to be that ain't happening. Crossing my fingers they sell come Wednesday

IHeartZherdev*

Preds fan here

Can't think of anything less I'd rather be than Nashville-esque. Awful. Would like to keep our first round picks and not trade them for the likes of Mike Fisher.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Can't think of anything less I'd rather be than Nashville-esque. Awful. Would like to keep our first round picks and not trade them for the likes of Mike Fisher.

Can't think of anything less I'd rather be than not in the playoffs.

If "Nashville-esque" means playoffs, great call me a Predator!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Won? Much too soon to declare a win with that (or any) trade, too much can happen to change the perceptions. As I have said, I am and will always be a Nash fan, but I like the pieces he brought us from NY.

Of course, what this team needs most, right now, is scoring. Kinda like Nash used to do (and continues to do with the Rangers). Too bad it took trading him to get Dubi, AA, Erixon, and the first, because he'd look pretty good along with them! Not possible, I know, and I realize there are some who think the team needed to rid itself of his "leadership;" but I still feel that this team, as it stands, would be at real threat to do some damage in the playoffs if it had Nash on the top line - maybe Foligno/Johansen/Nash? Oh well, that ship has sailed, left port, and is beyond the horizon!

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Won? Much too soon to declare a win with that (or any) trade, too much can happen to change the perceptions. As I have said, I am and will always be a Nash fan, but I like the pieces he brought us from NY.

Of course, what this team needs most, right now, is scoring. Kinda like Nash used to do (and continues to do with the Rangers). Too bad it took trading him to get Dubi, AA, Erixon, and the first, because he'd look pretty good along with them! Not possible, I know, and I realize there are some who think the team needed to rid itself of his "leadership;" but I still feel that this team, as it stands, would be at real threat to do some damage in the playoffs if it had Nash on the top line - maybe Foligno/Johansen/Nash? Oh well, that ship has sailed, left port, and is beyond the horizon!

Along these lines, Pete, I have wondered what Jake could bring this team. Not the Jake we traded, but the player he's developed into.

Hindsight, eh?

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Along these lines, Pete, I have wondered what Jake could bring this team. Not the Jake we traded, but the player he's developed into.

Hindsight, eh?

I struggle with that one. What would Jake be like now, if he had not been traded? I am more and more convinced that the majority of good players in the league thrive only in certain environments. The great ones are good, everywhere, and make every team better. Jake is the former imo. He might be a stud on this new CBJ, or he might be the same old Jake that couldn't find his confidence on the ice. I like Johnson and the 1st round pick from LA, but Jake plus the 2011 7th overall is pretty hard to pass up.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I struggle with that one. What would Jake be like now, if he had not been traded? I am more and more convinced that the majority of good players in the league thrive only in certain environments. The great ones are good, everywhere, and make every team better. Jake is the former imo. He might be a stud on this new CBJ, or he might be the same old Jake that couldn't find his confidence on the ice. I like Johnson and the 1st round pick from LA, but Jake plus the 2011 7th overall is pretty hard to pass up.

It is what it is. Can't go back and undo it.

Wish Jake a lot of luck, he seems to have found a home, unfortunately we're going to see a lot more of him.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Judging from my limited visits to the Rangers boards, a few Rangers fans think the trade was a mistake, many more think that other than Lundqvist Nash is the best player on the team.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive. The problem with Nash is he'll be the best player on the team but he'll also suck the soul out of the team. Rangers fans are way down on Richards and pretty down on Gaborik, and maybe the problems those guys are having are independent of Nash. But they're talking about a "funk" the team is in and how the team isn't playing with any pride. Those are familiar and now past problems for the Jackets. I think it's hard to look past Nash's talents and see the intangible negative effect he can have on a team. I'm very interested to see if I'm very wrong about this or if Nash will have a hard time getting his leadership to match his talent.

Your last sentence is spot on

Rangers fan here.

Nash is not the Rangers' captain. He doesn't wear a letter. He's not the only supserstar on the team, and he hasn't had the most success. He's not the Rangers' best player (that's Henrik Lundqvist).

He has, however, been one of four forwards to show up this year; the other forwards are Derek Stepan, Carl Hagelin, and Ryan Callahan.

Rick Nash has nothing to do with the team's woes. The play of Nash and Stepan gives Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik second pairing matchups, and they're doing nothing with them. The problem is with the two of them; unless Nash comes with some sort of talent sucking force field, there is no possible way to blame him. He just hasn't been in the room long enough.

At the time of the trade, I felt like it was a very fair deal. Still believe it was. The Rangers had enough depth that it was a good idea to cash it in for some top line talent to create matchup problems. Anisimov and Dubinsky, as much as Rangers fans love them, weren't critical pieces after being passed on the depth chart by Stepan. I don't think Anisimov would have had the space to flourish on the Rangers, but I think it can (and from what I hear, is) happening on the Jackets. He was always really talented but too inconsistent. If he can learn to get his shot off quicker, watch out.

Dubinsky was always a heart-and-soul player who I felt should have gotten at least an 'A'. I think that the current incarnation of the Rangers squad could really use him- he can certainly provide a spark.

I still feel like this was a fair trade that both teams would do over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->