The Myth of Our First Round Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
I did not want to make this thread... I didn't think it'd be necessary. However, it has been over 6 weeks now where I have been hearing the same argument by Leaf and non-Leaf fans alike....

Toronto only got to game 7 because Boston was in a late season slump.

This arguement is a complete myth and I want to settle this right now.

I would like someone, anyone, to explain how a team like Boston can have the type of game they had against us in game 1 if they were "slumping." Game 1 was one of the most dominating losses I have ever witnessed as a Leaf fan. Boston controlled every facet of the game and I'd argue it was one of their best games in this years playoffs.

After this game is when the Leafs showed what they were made of. The whole team stepped it up backed by a great coaching job by Carlyle (minus the last 10 minutes of game 7 of course). He consistently won the matchup battle while exposing holes in the Boston system. To beat them, you need speed. Go look at Boston's recent playoff series losses, they have all been against teams with a good amount of speed.

I'm not trying to say we're a better team than Boston, because that's simply not true. What I am saying, however, is that we did not take that series to 7 games because Boston was playing like crap. We took that series to 7 games because our coaching, speed, and goaltending made them look like a beatable team. That's the reality of our first round playoff loss.

Last edited:

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
amen..**** all the haters..this team is capable of beating anyone on any given night no matter how hard the opposition plays

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
By the title I thought you were referring to the draft.

We almost beat Boston because we played their game. Hit them every chance we got but Boston rolled the next 2 rounds because of our collapse IMO. It got guys like Bergeron going. But who cares what people think? I sure don't. We played Boston exactly how you should.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
By the title I thought you were referring to the draft.

We almost beat Boston because we played their game. Hit them every chance we got but Boston rolled the next 2 rounds because of our collapse IMO. It got guys like Bergeron going. But who cares what people think? I sure don't. We played Boston exactly how you should.

changed it

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Komarov is a big loss, having a dependable hard working bottom 6 is underrated and invaluable. Felt very confident whenever mcclement and komarov were on the ice, love both guys compete levels.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Meh. Let people say whatever they want. I'll just watch the games. When they win the Cup we can all be friends.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I did not want to make this thread... I didn't think it'd be necessary. However, it has been over 6 weeks now where I have been hearing the same argument by Leaf and non-Leaf fans alike....

Toronto only got to game 7 because Boston was in a late season slump.

This arguement is a complete myth and I want to settle this right now.

I would like someone, anyone, to explain how a team like Boston can have the type of game they had against us in game 1 if they were "slumping." Game 1 was one of the most dominating losses I have ever witnessed as a Leaf fan. Boston controlled every facet of the game and I'd argue it was one of their best games in this years playoffs.

After this game is when the Leafs showed what they were made of. The whole team stepped it up backed by a great coaching job by Carlyle (minus the last 10 minutes of game 7 of course). He consistently won the matchup battle while exposing holes in the Boston system. To beat them, you need speed. Go look at Boston's recent playoff series losses, they have all been against teams with a good amount of speed.

I'm not trying to say we're a better team than Boston, because that's simply not true. What I am saying, however, is that we did not take that series to 7 games because Boston was playing like crap. We took that series to 7 games because our coaching, speed, and goaltending made them look like a beatable team. That's the reality of our first round playoff loss.

Sorry this thread topic has been done twice now already with the same results each time as it runs its course.

Leafs were beaten by a better team and that team is still playing in the SCF.

/closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad