The Myth about Matthews Swiss League Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Let me begin by saying I truly believe, should he be selected 1st overall (but let's be honest it makes total sense he is), he will be in a Leaf uniform next year. And I fully expect he'll have an impact as the season goes on and he learns Babcock's system and contend for rookie of the year.

But in several threads about him, I've seen his stats from last year compared to that of NHL superstars from the lockout year that played in the Swiss league.

Can we stop doing this please??

The Swiss league from last year is not the Swiss league from the lockout year. That league had several big name player playing in it.

Again don't get me wrong, he's a potential franchise player and we'd be lucky to have him. But when I see the comparisons, it makes me laugh.

Anyways that's just my little rant :p:

Ahh...I feel better now :)

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Were all these guys shutdown D? How much of an impact would these NHL superstars have on someone's offensive production?

I agree, his Swiss League's production has to be taken with a grain of salt.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Let me begin by saying I truly believe, should he be selected 1st overall (but let's be honest it makes total sense he is), he will be in a Leaf uniform next year. And I fully expect he'll have an impact as the season goes on and he learns Babcock's system and contend for rookie of the year.

But in several threads about him, I've seen his stats from last year compared to that of NHL superstars from the lockout year that played in the Swiss league.

Can we stop doing this please??

The Swiss league from last year is not the Swiss league from the lockout year. That league had several big name player playing in it.

Again don't get me wrong, he's a potential franchise player and we'd be lucky to have him. But when I see the comparisons, it makes me laugh.

Anyways that's just my little rant :p:

Ahh...I feel better now :)

For relevance, wouldn't have made more sense to just quote one of those posts?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Wouldn't adding high octane offensive players increase league scoring? Most of these players played together too, I remember there was a limit, but it was 2 or 3 iirc.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I agree, the NHL'ers went there to stay in shape. That's about it.

It's still a really good league though.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Same goalies and same defense. It's not like the NLA was full of NHL players, roughly ~1-2 forwards per team and some of them only played a handful of games..

A difference in league strength is not the reason Matthews was able to score more than those NHL stars. There are other reasons for that.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Probably didn't need its own thread. Sorry if it bothered anyone, feel free to close or merge it :)

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
For relevance, wouldn't have made more sense to just quote one of those posts?

Well...

I made one post where in response to the idea that Matthews should start in the AHL by posting the production of NHL players in the NLA. So if its based around my post then it was taken completely out of context.

Other than that I have seen nothing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well...

I made one post where in response to the idea that Matthews should start in the AHL by posting the production of NHL players in the NLA. So if its based around my post then it was taken completely out of context.

Other than that I have seen nothing.

That's what I meant about relevance. I'm sure most don't really understand the context.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Haters going to hate!!! He produced - end of story!

The door swings both ways!

He may be playing against lesser defense, but also playing then along side a lesser offense.

The lockout year also had better players to set up plays and create opportunities.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Same goalies and same defense. It's not like the NLA was full of NHL players, roughly ~1-2 forwards per team and some of them only played a handful of games..

A difference in league strength is not the reason Matthews was able to score more than those NHL stars. There are other reasons for that.

Yup. A few NHL superstars in one season doesn't make it a tougher league to score in compared to another season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
OP is correct. (Also in retrospect Barkov's production that year looks even more impressive when factoring the nhl competition).

Also remember:

Age 18

W.Nylander #6ppg in SHL
A.Matthews #4ppg in NLA

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
OP is correct. (Also in retrospect Barkov's production that year looks even more impressive when factoring the nhl competition).

Also remember:

Age 18

W.Nylander #6ppg in SHL
A.Matthews #4ppg in NLA

Sure looking at the stats might make them seem closer to each other but Matthews is on another level. More complete game, skill level at worst is the same, two-way, and he brings the size to go along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad