Slovakia: The mysterious Novotny (Calling all SVK NT experts)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
So I'm a collector of MIA/Warrior hockey gloves from various hockey leagues.

My latest pickup is a pair of extremely rare MIAs from the 2006 Olympic Games in Italy. Now on the cuffs are ''NOVOTNY''. The seller says to me they are Jiří Novotný's which I say ''No way, it doesn't work like that. Jiří is Czech, not Slovak''. He insists they are from Jiří. I can't see a company making a pair of gloves for a person from the wrong country.

So I began to dig to see who this other Novotný is. Obviously there were no Novotnýs on the 2006 Olympic team. I even went through and looked at every player on the roster to see if he was wearing these with the wrong name, no matches.

So I dig to find the only other Slovak player named Novotny in this time from was Andrej Novotny. He's a defenseman that played from 1999 to the present in the Czech league with average success. To my knowledge, he was never on a Slovak National team.

So my only guess is that Andrej was a National Team camp invite and was made gloves for it? Maybe he was one of the last defenseman to get cut?

Does anyone else have any ideas on who this Novotny was? The timeframe is probably from 2005-2007 for these gloves. Any earlier or later they would of been different.

The gloves in question. D'akujem!

DSCN0845_zps8fa5a047.jpg

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
Širšia 51-členná hokejová nominácia Slovenska na ZOH 2006 v Turíne:

Brankári: Ján LašÃ¡k (HC Moeller Pardubice, ČR), Rastislav Staňa (Södertälje, Švéd.), Karol Križan (Modo Hockey, Švéd.), Peter Budaj (Colorado, NHL), Jaroslav Halák (Hamilton/Long Beach, AHL/ECHL), Ján Laco (HC Košice)

Obrancovia: Zdeno Chára (Ottawa, NHL), Martin Štrbák (CSKA Moskva, Rus.), Ivan Majeský (Washington, NHL), Branislav Mezei (Florida, NHL - dlhodobo zranený, na ZOH nepocestuje), Ladislav Čierny (Čerepovec, Rus.), Andrej Meszároš (Ottawa, NHL), Radoslav Suchý (Columbus, NHL), Jaroslav Obšut (Lulea, Švéd.), Ľubomír Višňovský (Los Angeles, NHL), René Vydarený (České Budějovice, ČR), Richard Stehlík (Sparta Praha, ČR), Tomáš Starosta (Nižnekamsk, Rus.), Dušan Milo (HK Nitra), Milan Jurčina (Boston/Providence, NHL/AHL), Peter Smrek (Mora IK, Švéd.), Tomáš Malec (Binghamton, AHL), Kristián Kudroč (SaiPa, Fín.), Dominik Graňák (Slavia Praha, ČR)

Útočníci: Marián Gáborík (Minnesota, NHL), Richard Zedník (Montreal, NHL), Jozef Stümpel (Florida, NHL), Vladimír Országh (Lulea, Švéd.), Miroslav Šatan (New York Islanders, NHL), Ľuboš Bartečko (Lulea, Švéd.), Marcel Hossa (New York Rangers, NHL), Pavol Demitra (Los Angeles, NHL), Ladislav Nagy (Phoenix, NHL), Branko Radivojevič (Philadelphia, NHL), Michal Handzuš (Philadelphia, NHL), Marek Svatoš (Colorado, NHL), Jiří Bicek (Leksand, Švéd.), Radovan Somík (Čerepovec, Rus.), Martin Cibák (Tampa Bay, NHL), Rastislav Pavlikovský (MoDo, Švéd.), Peter Bondra (Atlanta, NHL), Marián Hossa (Atlanta, NHL), Ronald Petrovický (Atlanta, NHL), Tomáš Surový (Wilkes Barre, AHL), Miroslav ZálešÃ¡k (Södertälje, Švéd.), Andrej Podkonický (Liberec, ČR), Róbert Petrovický (Zürich, Švajč.), Tomáš Chrenko (HK Nitra), Richard Kapuš (Novokuzneck, Rus.), Juraj Kolník (Florida, NHL), Martin Bartek (Novokuzneck, Rus.)

Andrej Novotny (1976) was not on preliminary roster... He played 38 games for NT in various friendly tournaments.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Širšia 51-členná hokejová nominácia Slovenska na ZOH 2006 v Turíne:

Brankári: Ján LašÃ¡k (HC Moeller Pardubice, ČR), Rastislav Staňa (Södertälje, Švéd.), Karol Križan (Modo Hockey, Švéd.), Peter Budaj (Colorado, NHL), Jaroslav Halák (Hamilton/Long Beach, AHL/ECHL), Ján Laco (HC Košice)

Obrancovia: Zdeno Chára (Ottawa, NHL), Martin Štrbák (CSKA Moskva, Rus.), Ivan Majeský (Washington, NHL), Branislav Mezei (Florida, NHL - dlhodobo zranený, na ZOH nepocestuje), Ladislav Čierny (Čerepovec, Rus.), Andrej Meszároš (Ottawa, NHL), Radoslav Suchý (Columbus, NHL), Jaroslav Obšut (Lulea, Švéd.), Ľubomír Višňovský (Los Angeles, NHL), René Vydarený (České Budějovice, ČR), Richard Stehlík (Sparta Praha, ČR), Tomáš Starosta (Nižnekamsk, Rus.), Dušan Milo (HK Nitra), Milan Jurčina (Boston/Providence, NHL/AHL), Peter Smrek (Mora IK, Švéd.), Tomáš Malec (Binghamton, AHL), Kristián Kudroč (SaiPa, Fín.), Dominik Graňák (Slavia Praha, ČR)

Útočníci: Marián Gáborík (Minnesota, NHL), Richard Zedník (Montreal, NHL), Jozef Stümpel (Florida, NHL), Vladimír Országh (Lulea, Švéd.), Miroslav Šatan (New York Islanders, NHL), Ľuboš Bartečko (Lulea, Švéd.), Marcel Hossa (New York Rangers, NHL), Pavol Demitra (Los Angeles, NHL), Ladislav Nagy (Phoenix, NHL), Branko Radivojevič (Philadelphia, NHL), Michal Handzuš (Philadelphia, NHL), Marek Svatoš (Colorado, NHL), Jiří Bicek (Leksand, Švéd.), Radovan Somík (Čerepovec, Rus.), Martin Cibák (Tampa Bay, NHL), Rastislav Pavlikovský (MoDo, Švéd.), Peter Bondra (Atlanta, NHL), Marián Hossa (Atlanta, NHL), Ronald Petrovický (Atlanta, NHL), Tomáš Surový (Wilkes Barre, AHL), Miroslav ZálešÃ¡k (Södertälje, Švéd.), Andrej Podkonický (Liberec, ČR), Róbert Petrovický (Zürich, Švajč.), Tomáš Chrenko (HK Nitra), Richard Kapuš (Novokuzneck, Rus.), Juraj Kolník (Florida, NHL), Martin Bartek (Novokuzneck, Rus.)

Andrej Novotny (1976) was not on preliminary roster... He played 38 games for NT in various friendly tournaments.

You beat me to it, the only other info I could find is that he scored one goal in those games (acc. to book 80 years of Slovak hockey) and that he played in the EHT in 02/03. (acc. to eliteprospects). The gloves most probably come from one of the tournaments played during IIHF breaks or friendly games prior to the IHWC, it will probably be pretty much impossible to pinpoint the exact tournament hey came from unless you have a more specific date.

For the years 2005-2007 looking at old threads over at IHF he seems to have played in these two IIHF official break tourneys during those years:

TUI Nations Cup 2005 November 2005 in Germany
LOTO CUP 2006 in Slovakia

but he could have also played some games durig friendlies prior to IHWCs, but rosters from those might be a nit harder to find.

EDIT: In 05/06 he has only played at the TUI Nations Cup as previously mentioned.
http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/clanok/tim-sr-a-v-reprezentacnej-sezone-2005-2006
Sadly, SZLH only has this kind of info with all the stats for this one season and not for the others...

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
[/B]

You beat me to it, the only other info I could find is that he scored one goal in those games (acc. to book 80 years of Slovak hockey) and that he played in the EHT in 02/03. (acc. to eliteprospects). The gloves most probably come from one of the tournaments played during IIHF breaks or friendly games prior to the IHWC, it will probably be pretty much impossible to pinpoint the exact tournament hey came from unless you have a more specific date.

For the years 2005-2007 looking at old threads over at IHF he seems to have played in these two IIHF official break tourneys during those years:

TUI Nations Cup 2005 November 2005 in Germany
LOTO CUP 2006 in Slovakia

but he could have also played some games durig friendlies prior to IHWCs, but rosters from those might be a nit harder to find.

EDIT: In 05/06 he has only played at the TUI Nations Cup as previously mentioned.
http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/clanok/tim-sr-a-v-reprezentacnej-sezone-2005-2006
Sadly, SZLH only has this kind of info with all the stats for this one season and not for the others...

I browsed my archive, and the only exhibition games before IHWC are this -

1998-04-07 and 1998-04-08 SLOVAKIA - FINLAND
2000-04-12 SLOVAKIA - CZECH REP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad