The most popular in Sweden

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
No becouse you did not do so either. Considering this you just cant use the rethoric you use without being seen as an internet tough guy. Bring your comparisons or no-ones point is a definite, that is something that both you and i will have to accept. Unfortunately my keyboard is blown so even this short a message is a grind, and this matter is very complex.

I'm the one calling ******** on your claims, you need to prove your claims. It's not the other way around. Why did you bold "internet tough guy"? :laugh: Why did you even call me internet tough guy? Am I an e-thug because I (along with 99% of the other swedish posters here) call you out on most of your posts?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
would love to go to a frolunda game with you

this whole thread makes me sad----sweden more interested in soccer than hockey? what in the world?

Well, it's called globalization my friend. Soccer is the easiest game you can play with your buddies, or even semi-pro as a kid. Soccer also draws huge crowds live, when hockey at maximum can only get smth like 18 000 people live in Europe(in Bern if I'm not mistaken). The rules are also much easier to understand in soccer than in any other sport.

Then obviously the media. Media is hyping soccer much more than hockey. Because soccer is global, the international media obviously cares more about soccer, espescially the european media. Soccer has much more international matchups. And the best soccer in the World is actually played in the evening and not at night.

If I can use it as a comparsion, soccer is like pop-music, hockey is like metal. Comparsion works rather good, and it gets along with "Finland case" too.:)

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
would love to go to a frolunda game with you

this whole thread makes me sad----sweden more interested in soccer than hockey? what in the world?

Soccer and Cross-country skiing is bigger.. But Swedes often turn their cape after the wind, if a swede dominates water polo, it will attract a huge crowd.. :shakehead

Last edited:

aloonda*

Well, it's called globalization my friend. Soccer is the easiest game you can play with your buddies, or even semi-pro as a kid. Soccer also draws huge crowds live, when hockey at maximum can only get smth like 18 000 people live in Europe(in Bern if I'm not mistaken). The rules are also much easier to understand in soccer than in any other sport.

Then obviously the media. Media is hyping soccer much more than hockey. Because soccer is global, the international media obviously cares more about soccer, espescially the european media. Soccer has much more international matchups. And the best soccer in the World is actually played in the evening and not at night.

If I can use it as a comparsion, soccer is like pop-music, hockey is like metal. Comparsion works rather good, and it gets along with "Finland case" too.:)

understand and agree for the most part

I just like physical sports

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I think media coverage exaggerates how much more popular soccer is than hockey in Sweden as a whole, it much depends on what regions you talk about. The big media outlets are based in the larger urban areas so they'll be influenced by what's popular there.

Places where soccer is more popular by far: Stockholm, Gothenburg and Skåne. Many good players have come through here (Sundin, Alfredsson, Lundqvist etc) but these are also very populous regions. In Skåne people can go a whole winter without seeing much snow or ice at all so it's natural that hockey won't be that popular.

Places where hockey is more popular by far: Norrland and Dalarna, basically the northern half of Sweden. Despite only having 1 million people, this is the region which puts Sweden on the map as a world power, having produced over 50% of Sweden's best players.

Last edited:

PuckOut

Feb 23, 2009
www.youtube.com
I think media coverage exaggerates how much more popular soccer is than hockey in Sweden as a whole, it much depends on what regions you talk about. The big media outlets are based in the larger urban areas so they'll be influenced by what's popular there.

Places where soccer is more popular by far: Stockholm, Gothenburg and Skåne. Many good players have come through here (Sundin, Alfredsson, Lundqvist etc) but these are also very populous regions. In Skåne people can go a whole winter without seeing much snow or ice at all so it's natural that hockey won't be that popular.

Places where hockey is more popular by far: Norrland and Dalarna, basically the northern half of Sweden. Despite only having 1 million people, this is the region which puts Sweden on the map as a world power, having produced over 50% of Sweden's best players.

You know you just supported the fact that soccer is more popular than hockey right..?

Because discussing which sport is supported by the largest land mass doesn't hold a whole lot of merit.

What is the deal with claiming hockey to be at least as popular as soccer btw? Does it change your own appreciation of hockey? Do you get less out of following hockey because of it?

I sort of like both sports, works fine.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Just becouse soccer players are more well known does not make soccer more popular than hockey. Just becouse people knows the name Britney Spears does not make all of them like her music. Strange as it seems we need to disect things quite a bit here. Elitserien is just as popular as Allsvenskan in soccer, that is a fact. People not very interested in sports tends to perhaps know only Zlatan but they still will not watch soccer, but some of them do watch the more entertaining game of hockey at the Worlds. While talking about that, women likes hockey more than soccer. Families goes to hockey more than they do soccer, the middle class likes hockey more than soccer.

These are just a few things disected about the situation. It is possible that soccer more often is att the forefront of the average swede's brainstem than hockey is, becouse of the qualifiers to the World Cup and Euro tournaments while hockey has those hapless Euro Hockey Tour things going on. But no-one can fool me that an Olympic hockey game does not draw comparable although more frenzied fans to their TV:s. Swedes LOVE Tre Kronor, and of course it's harder to learn players names when you get to watch them so little.

Hey. That rock you live under. Bad idea!

I'm 100% for hockey over football, but I don't fool myself into believing that just because hockey is "my world" it is everybody else's as well. I mean, this the "farm team works for Pittsburgh, why would it not work hear?"-story all over again. Your opinions are extremely biased by your own interests.

With that said. Hockey is of course very, very popular in Sweden. But football is number one. No question about it. And that is a fact. The domestic leagues are comparable, but still the media coverage vastly favors football. And if we add international leagues (Premiere league, La Liga, Serie A) and Champions league to the mix - knock out win for football.

NHL is actually a "bad guy" in this story, so to speak. The swedish people doesnt "connect" with the hockey stars as they do with the football stars (regardless of nationality). The football stars are always on prime time "around the corner" while the hockey stars are "miles away" during bad hours.

Last edited:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
You know you just supported the fact that soccer is more popular than hockey right..?

Because discussing which sport is supported by the largest land mass doesn't hold a whole lot of merit.

Where did I try to make land mass amount relevant? I was just describing what area is where.

I never said that hockey is more popular than soccer, I said that soccer isn't as far ahead as it might seem. It's 1# in Northern Sweden and has mixed support in the rest of the country.

aloonda*

Hey. That rock you live under. Bad idea!

I'm 100% for hockey over football, but I don't fool myself into believing that just because hockey is "my world" it is everybody else's as well. I mean, this the "farm team works for Pittsburgh, why would it not work hear?"-story all over again. Your opinions are extremely biased by your own interests.

With that said. Hockey is of course very, very popular in Sweden. But football is number one. No question about it. And that is a fact. The domestic leagues are comparable, but still the media coverage vastly favors football. And if we add international leagues (Premiere league, La Liga, Serie A) and Champions league to the mix - knock out win for football.

NHL is actually a "bad guy" in this story, so to speak. The swedish people doesnt "connect" with the hockey stars as they do with the football stars (regardless of nationality). The football stars are always on prime time "around the corner" while the hockey stars are "miles away" during bad hours.

how could this be addressed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad