The Most Buffalo Thing Ever

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Except the Sabres have arguably the best set of minor league prospects in the NHL, plus 3 first round, and 2 second round picks in the 2015 draft. In addition, younger players like Ristolainen, Zadarov, Girgensons, Myers, Ennis, etc.. are the ones fueling the recent run of wins.

Consequently, while getting McDavid or Eichel would definitely speed things up, it is hardly catastrophic, and the rebuild can proceed just fine without them.

Things like "Wide right," "In the crease," or the "Motor City Miracle" are "Buffalo Things." The Sabres decreasing their chance of landing McDavid or Eichel because they are playing better than expected, is not. It's not even in the same category.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Winning is not a bad thing or "The most Buffalo thing ever." Winning shows that the rebuild is succeeding. The one thing I have discovered as a fan is that I want to win more than i want to lose out and gain a franchise player. Going into the season, my thoughts were "if we are gonna be awful, may as well get something out of it." They are not awful. They are not good, but they are not awful. I'd rather have exciting games and win and show other skill players around the league that the Sabres are on the up and up.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I highly doubt that there's any owners, President, GM or coach that would talk to their team and say...
"hey guys, we need to get McDavid, or Eichel this year! We will be last in the standings"

If that would be the case, Gorges, Gionta, Moulston and Benoit would not be part of this team

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really hope not, but this is why they shouldn't have fired Sacco. Maybe have him spend last season with the AHL team so that the NHL team can get any surprisingly strong runs out of their system before bringing Sacco up to secure the tank when they need him most.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
If they are rebuilding this is the worst year for the team to start winning. Most likely they will gut the team by the deadline.

Is the salary floor still in place after the trade deadline? I think it is but I'm not 100 percent.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If they are rebuilding this is the worst year for the team to start winning. Most likely they will gut the team by the deadline.

Is the salary floor still in place after the trade deadline? I think it is but I'm not 100 percent.
There's nothing on the team to gut. Other than Drew Stafford any player they could trade right now would be addition by subtraction. Replace Chris Stewart with any of their AHL guys and it's an improvement.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo already has built themselves quite the pool of prospects and it will only get better. Not getting McEichel is not the end of the world. The Sabres will still be bad enough to get players like Kylington, Zacha, Marner.

Buffalo's rebuild looks like it is heading the right direction.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I hate this mentality. We have an massive underdog of a team defying all expectations right now. Try to enjoy it. We are used to having something we think is good turn bad. Well, now we have something we think is bad turning good, but some are still bitter about it. They are not the same thing. This is not the most Buffalo thing at all. This is a good story if you take off the McEichel goggles.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Winning is good, especially when the team is young. While adding McDavid or Eichel would be really helpful, it's also very helpful to foster an atmosphere which is competitive and expects to win.

Without that atmosphere, the young guys lack direction and the team usually doesn't turn the corner.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I hate this mentality. We have an massive underdog of a team defying all expectations right now. Try to enjoy it. We are used to having something we think is good turn bad. Well, now we have something we think is bad turning good, but some are still bitter about it. They are not the same thing. This is not the most Buffalo thing at all. This is a good story if you take off the McEichel goggles.

If this short term good thing ends up costing them the opportunity to become a real powerhouse in the long run then it would turn into a bad thing...and something that's oh so buffalo.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
Things like "Wide right," "In the crease," or the "Motor City Miracle" are "Buffalo Things." The Sabres decreasing their chance of landing McDavid or Eichel because they are playing better than expected, is not. It's not even in the same category.

I believe you meant to say Music City Miracle.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
This is dumb. Maybe someone will blame Ted Nolan for not tanking right, and he won't get another job for a decade. :shakehead

IMHO, the only thing the Sabres have really done "wrong" with the rebuild is pick Grigorenko.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This is dumb. Maybe someone will blame Ted Nolan for not tanking right, and he won't get another job for a decade. :shakehead

IMHO, the only thing the Sabres have really done "wrong" with the rebuild is pick Grigorenko.

Griggs...wrong? ... At 20 yrs old..people want to write him off?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If this short term good thing ends up costing them the opportunity to become a real powerhouse in the long run then it would turn into a bad thing...and something that's oh so buffalo.

Every team that misses the playoffs, and maybe even a few that make it can say the same thing. It was never our God given right to finish last this year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Check back on Buffalo in late February and see where they are.

Im not convinced they will be around for the playoffs.

If they play .500 at home for 18-18-5 41 pts and .333 on the road 12-24-5 for 29 pts they end up with 70 pts. Usually 70 pts means bottom 3 team.

If you look at their record right now they are slightly over .500 at home and slightly under .333 on the road.

You could also look at it thgis way....

against the top 10 (26 games) .333 8-16-2
against the rest (56 games) .500 24-24-8
32-40-10 for 74 points---likely top 5.

Curently this is what the team is doing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Every team that misses the playoffs, and maybe even a few that make it can say the same thing. It was never our God given right to finish last this year.

Oh I know, the avs have just been really fortunate with our tanks' timing in this rebuild, and the sabres are my second team. So I was hoping things would line up just as nicely for them and it looked like it might had Nolan gotten a surprisingly strong performance out of them last year before the Sacco worked his magic this year for my second team after having done so much for my favorite team.

Bps21*

Wait...buffalo has the number one prospect pool, three more first round picks this year, and former first round picks that are already playing like it (Girgensons, ristolainen, zadorov) not to mention Myers and Ennis have both stepped way up to form a new core, we have leadership on and off the ice which has led to a total 180 in culture and attitude...

And I'm supposed to be mad that they're winning...too early?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wait...buffalo has the number one prospect pool, three more first round picks this year, and former first round picks that are already playing like it (Girgensons, ristolainen, zadorov) not to mention Myers and Ennis have both stepped way up to form a new core, we have leadership on and off the ice which has led to a total 180 in culture and attitude...

And I'm supposed to be mad that they're winning...too early?

yes...but i digress.

Bps21*

He was always being shipped to Arizona and then being sold to the highest bidder in relocation anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->