The Montreal Media Thread

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Is it just me or is the media worse than ever right now? It's like they have to make up for loss time or whatever. I think we need a threat dedicated to the worst of the worst that comes out of the Montreal media.

And it's not just an RDS thing. This morning on TSN 690, on the Tony Marinaro show (of course), apparently they were calling resigning Plekanec the "worst signing ever" and calling to trade him as soon as possible as the only way to move forward.

I know Marinaro is a troll, but has he watched even a period of hockey this season? Shouldn't you ask why Plekanec is leading the forwards in minutes in every game so far, and it's not even close?

And at least this is taking a break from the manufactured Subban drama.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I wish we could organize a day where a bunch of us call in to team 690 just to tell marinaro that he's an idiot. Would make my year.

I am easily amused.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
ep505112601.part6813.25128.francoisgagnon(23).jpg

Even his yellow smile looks contrived.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
It's been like this for years, but I agree that this year is something special.

It may have to do with the multiplication of communication tools and platforms. Everyone wants to be controversial or tell the most controversial story. It leads to more meat-less stories and non-stories. Sports journalists are generally the worst when it comes to journalism and let's be honest, it's not the hardest work.

The Subban-saga was created by idiotic opinions of sport journalists with no clue of what was happening whatsoever. Sadly, a lot of people made their judgment by what was said in the media. You could tell by reading posters on this board.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I wish we could organize a day where a bunch of us call in to team 690 just to tell marinaro that he's an idiot. Would make my year.

I am easily amused.

I'll call in from Fredericton for that day :lol:

I remember driving in to Montreal last year Superbowl weekend and listening to the idiot talk about the Habs, so annoying, so pompous, so... just full of himself and most importantly, so wrong :shakehead

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
First mistake was tuning into Marinaro's show in the first place. The quality of his "journalism" has always been mediocre at best, he's basically your run of the mill bipolar fan and team 690 gave him a radio show...

Kinda like giving your ignore list a radio show :S

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
The problem is that most people can't think for themselves and just believe or repeat what the media says. All you need to do is read threads around here to understand that. Those grounds just make it hard to ignore.

First mistake was tuning into Marinaro's show in the first place.

Haha, definitely, like going to MacDonald’s and complaining about the food quality. He’s less informed and big-headed more than the worst posters on here.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
First mistake was tuning into Marinaro's show in the first place. The quality of his "journalism" has always been mediocre at best, he's basically your run of the mill bipolar fan and team 690 gave him a radio show...

Kinda like giving your ignore list a radio show :S

I always wonder how people like him get a show in the first place. Which producer sat down with Marinaro and thought, "this is the guy Montreal sports radio needs!".

Just brutal.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I always wonder how people like him get a show in the first place. Which producer sat down with Marinaro and thought, "this is the guy Montreal sports radio needs!".

Just brutal.

Unfortunately, being loud and obnoxious can get you a job in sports radio. Here in the U.S., two of ESPN's worst Marinaro types are now on television 24/7, Skip Bayless and "Screaming" A. Smith. They suck, though they at least they understand basketball more than Marinaro does hockey.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

Just brutal.

It's lowest common denominator stuff really, he just pushes buttons and gets that audience that tunes in that hates him too, it's an old trick, every market has one or two of those guys.

Incognito24

Jan 30, 2013
Marinaro was @ L'Antichambre last year.

These guys make money by gossiping the team. Definitely need a cleanup.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I tweeted to Marinaro: "you don't know anything" and he blocked me.

He's so sensitive

A lot of the sports media types are.

Someone retweeted Brian Wilde saying "Alan Walsh is a great source of info since the lockout began", which frankly is laughable since Walsh was the biggest source of propaganda during the lockout, and it shows a rather big lack of journalistic integrity considering Walsh's obvious biased stance.

I replied with "Sure, if you want propaganda he is" and Wilde blocked me.

Which is funny, since it's probably the only time I bothered to reply to a retweet.

It's no big loss since Wilde is pretty vanilla, I wasn't following him and he is known to flip flop on a lot of topics, but I was still surprised to see how sensitive he was to someone's opinion.

As far as I know, he's the only person to block me on twitter. Well, there's overlords but he doesn't count. :laugh:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I like Marinaro. I was at Irish Embassy to watch the game last year or the year before, and he was sitting next to us doing his pregame show there. We talked to him a little bit during the radio commercials about hockey and whatever else was going on in the sports world. When he got up to leave, he handed me a $25 gift certificate to the place to cover a round for everyone there.

I'm pretty sure ThaDevilGirl was there, and Harry may have been as well.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I like Marinaro. I was at Irish Embassy to watch the game last year or the year before, and he was sitting next to us doing his pregame show there. We talked to him a little bit during the radio commercials about hockey and whatever else was going on in the sports world. When he got up to leave, he handed me a $25 gift certificate to the place to cover a round for everyone there.

I'm pretty sure ThaDevilGirl was there, and Harry may have been as well.

Well in that case, all is forgiven. :help:

void

Jan 5, 2006
I only listen to TSN 690 when Melnick is on. I can't stand Tony anymore. So full of himself. I used to listen to Tieman but now he's gone and got replaced by Sean Campbell who I also can't stand. They need to get better hosts...

Saintpatrick*

At the St. Patrick's day parade last year Marinaro comes walking down the street with a Habs jersey on which I thought was kinda hypocritical since he's always crapping on the team. So my brother yells out at the top of his lungs "Marinaro you suck!" the look he gave my brother was priceless and I was laughing so hard I nearly dropped my beer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad