The Missing Rings: The 1992-93 Pittsburgh Penguins

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
my upsets

1.1993 against Islanders!!. to this day my favourite penguin roster even thoght didnt bring the cup!!

2.1996 losing the panthers

3 2001 conference finals against devils!. pretty good team with mario and jagr and kovalev/straka/Lang and morozov….of course the moose Hedberg...:)

4. Crosby/malkin era the biggest upset to was that 2013 conference finals loss to Bruins!.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
My eye starts to twitch when I see this monstrosity. Garage league.

iu

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Just a heads up, it's the Bill Masterton trophy, not the Masterson.

It's an easy mistake since most people butcher the name, but getting it right will lend more credibility to your work.

Overall, it was a fun, but heartbreaking read. That team was too damn talented to lose to the f***ing Isles

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Maybe you remember better than me, but the Penguins won in 5, taking the first three games by a combined score of 17-6. Lemaire wasn't even their coach yet. It was Herb Brooks.

The 1995 suffocating of the Pens was a much different story.

Yeah, the Lemaire-inspired DPE style was still a couple years off.

I went back and looked at a few articles from back then; here's a quote from a Cook article after the Devils won Game 4: ". . . .Penguins will tell you the Devils' secret was a blatant disregard of the rules. "To put it bluntly, Mario pretty much got raped out there," Peter Taglianetti said. "that's not what hockey's all about. It doesn't take a lot of talent to jump on a guy and hold him." Lemieux was especially angered by a sequence of second period confrontations with John MacLean. Twice, MacLean appeared to throw Lemieux to the ice. Lemieux looked to referee Mark Faucette, his expression begging for a penalty call. That didn't come until MacLean and Lemieux went down in a heap a third time. Faucette sent them both to the box. Lemieux was uncharacteristically livid. Ron Francis had to keep him from going after Faucette. "It was a matter of MacLean tackling me twice." Lemieux said. "Then, on the third one, we went down together. To me, it was obvious I wasn't the instigator on that one."

Contemporaneous articles talk about how close the last three games were (Pens had to come from behind in Period 3/Game 5), and Brooks talked about how hard the Devils played. There was definitely a complacency factor on the Pens' side and probably a let down from the end of the season and multi-season playoff win streaks also. When you read about the Isles' series, that combination of malaise and "tight checking" from the Isles carried over into the first several games, especially with Mario in and out and the Isles playing without Turgeon.

Cool reading about Deon Figures and Alex Van Pelt bracketing the Steelers' draft that year, plus the Steelers working to get rid of Bubby Brister (and people complain about Ben! Best part of the draft was the Rams taking Bettis at 10, so we essentially just deferred our second first round pick that year)

Last edited:
Reactions: NEPA

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Mark Faucette once called a penalty on the Penguins because a guy in the crowd called him a sweaty PoS through the camera hole. Faucette turned around during the middle of the play, looked the guy right in the eyes, put his hand up while facing the glass, blew his whistle and sent the nearest Penguin to the box for holding. I was two seats to the left of the heckler when this happened.

People complain about refereeing now, but it's difficult to explain just how bad it used to be. Faucette was far worse than anyone working now, but he wasn't even among the five worst of his time. There used to be a guy who wouldn't call penalties against the Flyers. Just wouldn't put them shorthanded. Dale something, I think. I don't know if Ed Snyder was bribing him or what, but he had to have been working for the Flyers in some capacity. It was obvious.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I think it was always the clutch and grab era for Lemieux, they just started doing it to the rest of the league in the mid-late 90's too. Even in the 80's he was getting molested all over the ice. Yet, people to this day still call him a whiner for basically calling it like it is. It's the only major professional league that hates skill and caters to the plugs.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I think it was always the clutch and grab era for Lemieux, they just started doing it to the rest of the league in the mid-late 90's too. Even in the 80's he was getting molested all over the ice. Yet, people to this day still call him a whiner for basically calling it like it is. It's the only major professional league that hates skill and caters to the plugs.

Yeah, when he was playing 1 v 5 in his early years, he was clutched and grabbed, but it was OK to call those penalties, cause the team sucked. Once they got to be a juggernaut, he didn't get all those calls and teams ultimately took advantage. Or that's how I remember it, but that was a long time ago.

I don't know if hockey hates skill; I'd say it a little differently - hockey has a ridiculously warped sense of fairness. The more skilled a player, team, or power play unit, the more unfair it is and the more the refs have to allow the playing field to even out.

I was talking to an old friend this weekend who is a PAC-12 football ref. He said they'll overlook a lot of subjective calls in a blowout to keep the clock running, but other than that, they would never consider evening penalties out or refereeing to the score. That kind of thing is in the NHL hockey ref DNA.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Avs were a much tougher opponent in those finals. Likely beat us even if we get past the Rats.

But Lemieux beating Gretzky and us having a 3peat? Of course you'd be the oddball in this thread voting another year tho lol.
I wasn't old enough to fully grasp what could have been in 93. 96 though, the sight of a plastic rat still turns my stomach.

Reactions: NEPA

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
Had the Pens scored in OT and advanced to face Montreal, they would have 2 different options with there lineups, one would be top heavy and other would be more balanced.
Option 1

Mullen-Lemeuix-Tocchet
McEachern-Francis-Jagr
Daniels-Straka-Needham
Loney-Tippett-Stapleton

Option 2

Loney-Lemeuix-Jagr
Daniels-Francis-Mullen
McEachern-Straka-Tocchet
Stapleton-Tippett-Needham

Ad

Upcoming events