News Article: The Missing Rings 2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
From the way you summed it up in the first post and the title, that doesn't sound very appealing to me, a lightning fan.

With the 2019-2020 season right around the corner, for me there's really no reason to look back again for the 100th time at 2019 after mulling through it over and over and over again all offseason.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
iu

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Not much informative there.

I’m having a hard time believing in this team. But this midget core isn’t changing. JBB just doubled down on midget hockey.

But hey the team has talent and the owner rocks. We either root for them or ignore them. I know when the season starts I’ll be in.

I fully expect another heartbreaking post season

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Not much informative there.

I’m having a hard time believing in this team. But this midget core isn’t changing. JBB just doubled down on midget hockey.

But hey the team has talent and the owner rocks. We either root for them or ignore them. I know when the season starts I’ll be in.

I fully expect another heartbreaking post season
and we are smaller then ever now!

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
There are guys out there that are big body forwards waiting to be signed.... like Rychel, Boyle, McCleod, Stafford, Jimmy Hayes, Thorton, Marleau,Maroon, Gauence, and Devante Smith-Pelly. I am not saying they are allstars, great, good, but they are big bodies we could sign to try out contracts to address the grit, size, and toughness we severely lack. Some of the guys could easily play on the 2nd to 3rd line as well. Some would be 4th liner or depth players at best.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
There are guys out there that are big body forwards waiting to be signed.... like Rychel, Boyle, McCleod, Stafford, Jimmy Hayes, Thorton, Marleau,Maroon, Gauence, and Devante Smith-Pelly. I am not saying they are allstars, great, good, but they are big bodies we could sign to try out contracts to address the grit, size, and toughness we severely lack. Some of the guys could easily play on the 2nd to 3rd line as well. Some would be 4th liner or depth players at best.
If we add someone with size I don't think it happens till the trade deadline.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Well we have a need there and we are a team that is chasing lord stanley and contending for it. I could see a guy there having an interest in playing here to be the size we need and willing to do it at a low price. Problem may be there that these guys available just arent fast enough to keep up with our guys. Its one thing to have size, its another to have size and still be able to keep up with the smaller fast teams. Those are the teams we have run into with problems. Its the teams that are big and can keep up with us where we struggle.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Well we have a need there and we are a team that is chasing lord stanley and contending for it. I could see a guy there having an interest in playing here to be the size we need and willing to do it at a low price. Problem may be there that these guys available just arent fast enough to keep up with our guys. Its one thing to have size, its another to have size and still be able to keep up with the smaller fast teams. Those are the teams we have run into with problems. Its the teams that are big and can keep up with us where we struggle.
I don't recall the CAPS or Blue Jackets being small or faster than us during our 0-7 playoff losing streak. I recall them being bigger, tougher, and winning battles to the pucks in the boards, corners and in front of the net.
Correct me if I am wrong though that they are smaller and faster than us. I am saying we need to add one or two big body forwards for depth and/or the playoffs. I am not saying cut every player under 6 foot.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't recall the CAPS or Blue Jackets being small or faster than us during our 0-7 playoff losing streak. I recall them being bigger, tougher, and winning battles to the pucks in the boards, corners and in front of the net.
Correct me if I am wrong though that they are smaller and faster than us. I am saying we need to add one or two big body forwards for depth and/or the playoffs. I am not saying cut every player under 6 foot.

They werent faster than us, but they could skate with us. In the playoffs this is where the size can be the advantage over the speed, if you can keep up with that team. When the refs put the whistles away, the bigger teams can get away with a little interference when they can for the most part keep up with the players or have a way of keeping up. They call these during the regular season but dont in the playoffs. A bit of a reason I was pissed after the sweep and felt a bit scammed.

However, I think coaching is important here, but you cant do it without the right horses. I think we played teams bigger than us and we beat them with our speed because they couldnt keep up or they got called for the holding/interference because they looked like they couldnt keep up. The Caps and BJs werent as fast as us but they were efficient with their size to keep us out of our game of speed. Bottom line is that Cooper needs to make adjustments when this happens because we keep doing the same things over and over and we keep having the same results.

Now I know a bit about hockey but Im not a coach nor do I know what adjustments a coach should make. What adjustments should Cooper be doing here? Its not just that we need a few bigger players. They need to make some fundamental changes in how they play when dealing with these teams who are big and can "keep up with us".

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
They werent faster than us, but they could skate with us. In the playoffs this is where the size can be the advantage over the speed, if you can keep up with that team. When the refs put the whistles away, the bigger teams can get away with a little interference when they can for the most part keep up with the players or have a way of keeping up. They call these during the regular season but dont in the playoffs. A bit of a reason I was pissed after the sweep and felt a bit scammed.

However, I think coaching is important here, but you cant do it without the right horses. I think we played teams bigger than us and we beat them with our speed because they couldnt keep up or they got called for the holding/interference because they looked like they couldnt keep up. The Caps and BJs werent as fast as us but they were efficient with their size to keep us out of our game of speed. Bottom line is that Cooper needs to make adjustments when this happens because we keep doing the same things over and over and we keep having the same results.

Now I know a bit about hockey but Im not a coach nor do I know what adjustments a coach should make. What adjustments should Cooper be doing here? Its not just that we need a few bigger players. They need to make some fundamental changes in how they play when dealing with these teams who are big and can "keep up with us".
I am not an expert but I have played hockey for over 25 years. I think when they trap/clog the neutral zone the strategy is to dumb the puck in and go dig for it in the corners. Smaller and faster players can be effective at this, but we were not for some reason. The player would then cycle or pass it to the slot or point and for a shot on net. The players who are digging out pucks and battling in the boards would then cycle to slot or point for a shoot. This is when a bigger player comes in that get near the crease and screen the goalie, take some body shots from the defense, and get a rebound.

I am not claiming to be an expert, but that is my two cents.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
9 in one shot off that list only one might have jam left its a crap shoot at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad