The Missing Rings 2010-11 Vancouver Canucks

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I think the author is missing a lot more from the story, as it glosses over much of the pieces, such as injuries. I mean the Canucks went into game 7 as decimated as any team, vs the Bruins whom Chiarelli said himself were quite healthy. Add in the officiating, the lack of execution on the PP (although when you're down 8-1 with 10 min to go, what are consecutive PP really going to do for you anyways?)

Over all a great concept, but too short and too light in content.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
My ultimate high as a fan, I’ve waited for this from junior high/high school/post secondary...

To come up short was a punch in the gut.
I’m not the only one, it wrecked a lot of people’s fandom..

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I can't fathom how one can write an essay about that series, and somehow not mention how at nearly half of Vancouver's key players were either out with injury, or barely able to play thanks to injury by the time game 7 rolled around. Kind of an important plot point.

At least they didn't try to pin it on Luongo like so many historians have tried. Totally asinine when they try that garbage. The guy had 2 shutouts in that series, and Vancouver's forwards scored less goals in a 7 game Stanley cup final series than any team in NHL history. What was he supposed to do, skate down the ice and score the goals for us too?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't fathom how one can write an essay about that series, and somehow not mention how at nearly half of Vancouver's key players were either out with injury, or barely able to play thanks to injury by the time game 7 rolled around. Kind of an important plot point.

At least they didn't try to pin it on Luongo like so many historians have tried. Totally asinine when they try that garbage. The guy had 2 shutouts in that series, and Vancouver's forwards scored less goals in a 7 game Stanley cup final series than any team in NHL history. What was he supposed to do, skate down the ice and score the goals for us too?

It was over half the team.

Raymond (out)
Samuelsson (out)
Malhotra (one eye)
Kesler (torn abdominal)
Henrik (knee?)
Hamhuis (out)
Edler (broken finger)
Ehrhoff (separated shoulder)
Bieksa (knee)
Rome (unjustly suspended)

10 of 19 players in our preferred roster were either out, had an injury serious enough they wouldn't have been playing in the regular season, or were serving a BS suspension. And I think Burrows might have been banged up too, but I can't find any confirmation of that.

Boston had a creampuff ride to the Finals in a soft conference and we had to go through three wars to get there and were falling apart by the end.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
My ultimate high as a fan, I’ve waited for this from junior high/high school/post secondary...

To come up short was a punch in the gut.
I’m not the only one, it wrecked a lot of people’s fandom..

For me it was not the ultimate high in retrospect. I don't even want to think about it. To be part of it while we were this close, and to think afterwards we still had a few years of a cup window only to never win another series again that decade just turns me off this franchise. Call it salty if you want, but minus the BS hand that was dealt it was a 50/50 series and the fact that the Canucks weren't able to ice a competitive post-season team again just makes it feel infinitely more raw about it.

Reactions: daddyohsix

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
For me it was not the ultimate high in retrospect. I don't even want to think about it. To be part of it while we were this close, and to think afterwards we still had a few years of a cup window only to never win another series again that decade just turns me off this franchise. Call it salty if you want, but minus the BS hand that was dealt it was a 50/50 series and the fact that the Canucks weren't able to ice a competitive post-season team again just makes it feel infinitely more raw about it.

All I need in my lifetime is 1 cup, just one.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
I hope im not crossing the boundaries of good taste bringing this up. I often wonder if having Rick Rypien in the line up would have made a difference. He would have slaughtered Marchand after the speed bag incident, or humiliated him at least.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Raymond (out)
Samuelsson (out)
Malhotra (one eye)
Kesler (torn abdominal)
Henrik (knee?)
Hamhuis (out)
Edler (broken finger)
Bieksa (knee)

10 of 19 players in our preferred roster were either out, had an injury serious enough they wouldn't have been playing in the regular season, or were serving a BS suspension. And I think Burrows might have been banged up too, but I can't find any confirmation of that.

Boston had a creampuff ride to the Finals in a soft conference and we had to go through three wars to get there and were falling apart by the end.

It's true. And Higgins played with a broken foot since the Nashville series.

How in god's name were the Canucks supposed to win with their entire second line erased, their entire top-four injured or hobbled, and their Hart Trophy 1C not at full capacity? Couple that with the NHL OBC officiating...

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Raymond (out)
Samuelsson (out)
Malhotra (one eye)
Kesler (torn abdominal)
Henrik (knee?)
Hamhuis (out)
Edler (broken finger)
Bieksa (knee)

Raymond (out)
Samuelsson (out)
Malhotra (one eye)
Kesler (torn abdominal)
Henrik (knee?)
Hamhuis (out)
Edler (broken finger)
Bieksa (knee)

And Henrik had more than one injury. It was serious.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
the article is decent, though you would think they could use spellcheck. But the officiating sucked, repeated liberties by the Bruins on the classiest 2 players in the league, and the injuries that resulted. The league got what it wanted, the Bruins win a stanley cup after 5 SCF losses. Though they had one of the best teams in history with Bobby Orr, they only one 2 cups, and have since lost 7 of 8, beating only the Canucks. Which was a better team. I can't tell you how much I was cheering for TB against Bost, knowing that if the Canucks had a weak spot it was physicality.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I can't even read it I remember that series all to well. I've suffered through 94 and 2011 became a fan in 82 but nobody expected to win that one. It's been a rough ride but I still hope I'll enjoy one win at least before I give up.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I can't even read it I remember that series all to well. I've suffered through 94 and 2011 became a fan in 82 but nobody expected to win that one. It's been a rough ride but I still hope I'll enjoy one win at least before I give up.

I don't want to whine but if game 6 and game 7 were 1 day apart instead of 2 days apart. Canucks win the cup, Rangers were all banged up after game 5 and game 6. That extra day really helped the Rangers recover.

If Kesler didn't get hurt on the icing call in game 5 with Boyle vs SJ. Healthy Kesler = cup. What do we know, the next season I think the rule change to no touch icing. If there was no touch icing in 2011. Canucks win the cup as well.

I had a dream that the Canucks won the cup and I was using the IPhone 15. When that comes out, that means Canucks are winning the cup that year. If Apple in the future are not going to use numbers for their Model name. That might mean Canucks will never win the cup.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I had a dream that the Canucks won the cup and I was using the IPhone 15. When that comes out, that means Canucks are winning the cup that year. If Apple in the future are not going to use numbers for their Model name. That might mean Canucks will never win the cup.

Quick someone get this Canucks fan a knock off made up Iphone 15 now please !!!

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018

While it’s true Boston had an easy ride, the Canucks did themselves no favours by not finishing the Hawks off early.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Severely depleted lineup (3 of the top 6 D out). Healthy Canucks lineup - they win 10 out of 10 (even with the officiating stacked against them).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->