News Article: The Minnesota Wild will host the 2022 Winter Classic at Target Field against the St. Louis Blues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
trying to contain my excitement here. Of all the years to do it, the NHL picks one where we are almost assured to be bad?

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
trying to contain my excitement here. Of all the years to do it, the NHL picks one where we are almost assured to be bad?
It does kinda put a damper on it. But then again, the Buffalo Sabres......

It'll be the Wild's 20th anniversary. Could we be as bad as we were in year 1? Full circle?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Who knows? Maybe we tank, the team gets the 1st overall pick and we have Lafreniere and Kaprizov

I could see it. I don't see why they would give a, at ceiling, mediocre team the Winter Classic unless they have assurances we'll either be exciting or pull in some way. Finally, a possible conspiracy working in favour of Minnesota, I may faint.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
I could see it. I don't see why they would give a, at ceiling, mediocre team the Winter Classic unless they have assurances we'll either be exciting or pull in some way. Finally, a possible conspiracy working in favour of Minnesota, I may faint.
I'm going to faint when my son gets me tickets for Christmas. Lol

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
They should just reschedule it. Watching a game at a baseball stadium isn't the most fun. It's the atmosphere that makes it fun and that will be gone this year.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Give us some of that god damn lottery luck all these major teams get in exchange.

That said. This is great news. We all know the next season is a season of gelling, figuring out who/where everyone fits, and growth.

While I'm of the belief that we will stumble our way into the playoffs next season, I really think the Wild will be pretty good the season after.

Whats the point of a Winter Classic if you aren't putting the team out there that you think could win it all.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
What are the odds the 22 Olympics go on?Pretty slim i know,but it would be cool if the US Olympic teams were announced at Target Field like it was in 14 at Michigan Stadium.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Does anyone think Minnesota may not get a Winter Classic as they postponed it and then didn't name them as hosts for 2022?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You would think the league would want it on ABC. New Years wouldn't work because of the bowl games. But why not move the date. There is a weekend in between Conference Finals and the Super Bowl.

Probably why it wasn't included in the ESPN deal. ESPN wouldn't want to broadcast it.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
You would think the league would want it on ABC. New Years wouldn't work because of the bowl games. But why not move the date. There is a weekend in between Conference Finals and the Super Bowl.
I like this idea, However I think the NHL probably thinks they are more important that college football. Which they are not.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Pro bowl weekend, which ESPN also has the rights to and doubles/triples the ratings of the Winter classic despite being utterly pointless.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The NHL isn't giving up new year's day. They play the game so early as to compete with the new year's day parades before the big college football games begin. That said, ABC is going to be showing parade coverage instead that relates to the game they're going to show.

The NHL ratings are simply too good on a holiday to give up. No other weekend will be able to match it ratings wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->