News Article: The Minnesota Wild will host the 2022 Winter Classic at Target Field against the St. Louis Blues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
81695197_10162770799325223_4845768294474448896_o.jpg

Discuss.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
Let's Go! The only downside that I see is that it's not a part of the season ticket package. Regardless I want to take it all in whatever the events are going on that week.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Let's Go! The only downside that I see is that it's not a part of the season ticket package. Regardless I want to take it all in whatever the events are going on that week.
I haven't seen the email yet, but I would bet STH's get first dibs at tickets. Same happened with the Stadium Series.

I've seen the Blues, Avs, and Jets as favorites for being the opponent. Watch it be the Jackets for the 20th Anniversary. :sarcasm:

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Hoping it's not the Jets. Game and atmosphere would be awesome, just see them driving the secondary market up to high. I'll try for the public on-sale but most likely will need to use the secondary market.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
I haven't seen the email yet, but I would bet STH's get first dibs at tickets. Same happened with the Stadium Series.

I've seen the Blues, Avs, and Jets as favorites for being the opponent. Watch it be the Jackets for the 20th Anniversary. :sarcasm:
per Russo..

But once the Target Field seating is outfitted by the NHL, confirmed 2020-21 Wild season-ticket holders will have the priority opportunity to purchase Winter Classic tickets based on their fan priority number. After those tickets are established, tickets will be released to the public.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hoping it's not the Jets. Game and atmosphere would be awesome, just see them driving the secondary market up to high. I'll try for the public on-sale but most likely will need to use the secondary market.

I like to see a strong secondary market. Last outdoor game ticket were going below face.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
It'll be interesting to see how the weather cooperates for the game. The temps were pretty nice for the Stadium Series here in 2016...almost even borderline warm. Although I still laugh my arse off at the group of women in the bathroom who were trying to balance themselves while holding their feet up to the hand dryers to warm them. Hint: don't wear flimsy fancy shoes with nearly see thru nylon socks to an outdoor hockey game in the middle of winter.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Much fewer tickets overall though, so the price is likely going to be higher.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Several excerpts from Minnesota gets the 2021 Winter Classic: Here's everything...

Majka admits when the Wild struggled so mightily out of the gate this season (one win in their first seven games, four in their first 14), he started to worry the Wild’s joint bid for the Winter Classic could be derailed. But the Wild, even though TV ratings are a little down compared to last year, are perennially a top-five TV-rated team in the United States.

There’s obviously a huge revenue drop-off when you play the Winter Classic inside 39,000-seat Target Field as opposed to the 85,630 fans at Wednesday’s game at the Cotton Bowl.

So, the partners needed to brainstorm all sorts of ideas that would make up for that lost revenue by coming up with a weeklong Winter Festival rather than just one single outdoor hockey game.

There are the usual ideas and some really cool, outside the box ideas, and the Wild, based in St. Paul, want to integrate some St. Paul events into the week of festivities.

“I hesitate a little bit here because I don’t want to create expectations that all of which won’t come true,” Majka said. “But I believe that this market has the ability to pull off a truly hockey-oriented festival sort of atmosphere. It’ll be really fun to see how it all comes together and what actually happens a year from now.”

They’ve talked about college games, a youth hockey tournament and either an alumni game or some sort of history of Minnesota hockey luncheon or dinner or panel discussion where big hockey-name alumni would be involved. There will, of course, be the usual kid-friendly Fan Fair or Winter Carnival perhaps in multiple buildings and they’ve even discussed having things like a hockey arts exhibit and hockey movie festival. And to increase the lost revenue of playing hockey at a smaller ballpark rather than a football stadium, there very likely will accompanying concerts at Xcel Energy Center, even on New Year’s Eve.

“We want to make it more of a weeklong event rather than just a couple of days and activate Minneapolis and St. Paul so we give fans an opportunity to do a lot of different things,” Mayer said. “We’re trying to get creative. We’re going to have 86,000 in Dallas, and let’s face it, we’re almost half of that in Minnesota.

“So that’s a significant financial blow, and we’re not going to gouge the fans. That’s not what we want to do. It’s a little more expensive to go to an outdoor game than it is a regular game, but we also provide the fans with an incredible experience, music and fan fairs — a lot more than just a regular game.

“But just because we’re in a smaller venue, we’re not going to triple the price of a ticket. So you have to figure out creative ways to help pay for the event. Now, a lot of the thing won’t be NHL-driven. They probably will be Minnesota Wild-driven. We love when we could make it more than just a hockey game, and if we can do all these other things in your neck of the woods, we really feel people will respond to that stuff. So the more we can do, the better.”

Higher....yes. But they aren't going to triple the price or anything like that.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm pumped. I plan on attending, but I have a feeling those tickets are going to be extremely pricy with only around 40k at Target Field after whatever configuration changes they make. I'd love for it to be the Jets, but that'll drive up ticket prices like crazy as well.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Yep, probably a little higher.

I've been to 2 outdoor games, the Buf and MN ones. I wouldn't go to another one. It's an experience for sure, but the game is so much better on tv than what you see from the stands.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I bet all 6, for better or worse

Only 3 I could potentially see moving, and they would be at a very small percent chance.

Zucker via trade maybe? But his injury might deter that due to value/concern

Koivu could potentially retire, but I think they re-sign him to a 1 yr deal.

Dumba could be a trade asset with the emergence of others, but I think for several reasons this would be a dumb trade unless the return was stupid high. His return is going to be about as low as its been after such a big drop off from last year, we all hope hes going to get back to his game after the injury but no doubt its going to drop his value.. and his offense when its on is so valuable to this team, and his right shot.

Otherwise the rest I think are here, for better or worse.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Went to the Bruins Blackhawks last year and really enjoyed it... If tickets aren't crazy I'll go to this one since it's in my backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->