The Million Dollar Question...Who's the Odd Man Out?

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Michalek is very close to returning, and i think management assumed Stone would be our injury fill-in guy. Well due to all the injuries we have dealt with this season, Stone has played the majority of games, and in my opinion, has won a full time spot for years to come. We have always talked about how our log jam on defense would someday creep up on us, and I think it has finally come to fruition. I can't imagine us benching Z, before he went down with an injury, he was one of our best defensive defensemen on the team, same can be said with Schlemko. The rest of our defense are core guys, guys not anticipated to go anywhere. So that raises the question, when Z comes back, who sits out?

With all that said, I think this is going to be a very interesting draft for the Coyotes. On top of our current pro roster, we still have Rundblad and Gormley who could be ready to go by next season, and Chris Summers who's been on the teeter totter and has been ready to go for years. Crazy depth on the back end. Time to make some moves, Donny.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
As much as I hate saying it, I do believe Stone is the odd man out for now. The season is almost over and there will be some movement to accommodate him for next year.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
If this is really a million dollar question, give me Schlrmko and I'll chip 750k of my million into the new ownership group ... wooooo a 1% stake!!!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This still isn't an issue yet. When Z comes back, Stone pays his young guy dues and sits. Another injury is a near inevitability. When it pops up, Stone gets back into the line-up.

Once the season is through, then we'll have to examine the situation again.

Assuming the team stays in Phoenix another year, and the budget remains pretty much the same, I'd guess we'll need to trade a vet D in order to open up a spot and get closer to budget. The options would be Yandle, Michalek, Morris, or Klesla (Schlemko is too affordable). I'd say we need only trade one of them. I'd probably go with Klesla just because he's too injury prone. I like him, but not as much as Morris and Michalek. I like Summers, too, but he's been clearly passed over on the depth chart, so I wish him well, but I doubt he'll be back.

Klesa = Trade
Summers = UFA
Gormley = AHL

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Schlemko-Stone
Rundblad

albertabound

Jan 25, 2008
You should do one up for all UFA and RFA and would be interesting to compare at start of 2013-14 season as who here and who is not.:yo:

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
I'm guessing Stone as we'll likely be out of the playoff hunt, so he'll probably just go back to Portland for their playoffs. If the Yotes somehow go on some streak and Stone is needed, then I'd say Schlemko. Highly doubt DeMo is sat, especially if the trade rumors about him were true at the deadline. If he is moved this offseason, no reason to drive down his value by healthy scratching to finish the year.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
With this group, I would say whichever player that needs a break. My guess is Klesla at 1st, considering he blocks shots. They can rotate players in and out of the lineup without missing a beat. During the off season, I still think Holmgren will overpay for Yandle and his availability is based on no ownership and thinking that the Coyotes will do even worse in this off-season trying to sign free agents...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Assuming the team stays in Phoenix another year, and the budget remains pretty much the same, I'd guess we'll need to trade a vet D in order to open up a spot and get closer to budget. The options would be Yandle, Michalek, Morris, or Klesla (Schlemko is too affordable). I'd say we need only trade one of them. I'd probably go with Klesla just because he's too injury prone. I like him, but not as much as Morris and Michalek. I like Summers, too, but he's been clearly passed over on the depth chart, so I wish him well, but I doubt he'll be back.

Klesa = Trade
Summers = UFA
Gormley = AHL

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Schlemko-Stone
Rundblad
Yandle gets the biggest return in trade in support of the search for 1C, right?

Not to wander into next season's lines, but any chance that OEL and Stone remain a pair? This is from a guy who moved to town 3 weeks ago and has never actually watched Michalek play with his Coyotesfan Glasses on. Are Michalek - OEL a pair when healthy? Is that duo set in ... err ... stone?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 28m
Klesla seems to be the odd-man-out with seven defensemen. Only four shifts so far. One in the second.

Interesting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->