The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
It’s not stupid at all. I watched every second of sundins leaf career. Matthews is significantly superior offensively and defensively.

Significantly is a stretch. Management gave him Renberg and Hoglund as line mates and the guy still went point per game. Sundin also has something none of our stars have.....a slap shot. We've never had a clapper from the half wall since this guy left.

Sundin is not as exciting to watch as Matthews but he's more fundamentally sound. We are very fortunate to have had both in a Leafs jersey. Leave it at that. If you had to choose between 21 year old Sundin or 21 year old Matthews in this modern NHL, there is no losing. You can just flip a coin and any choice is a win.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Best case scenario for Matthews, worst case for the Leafs. Even worse for Leafs fans, who would have to hear for 5 years that Matthews would be pulling a Tavares to head home ASAP

But who said we want a 5 year deal with him in the first place?

Let me guess, an attention seeker no one from Toronto media, based on his own useless speculation.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews for a 5 year deal isn't bad at all. It would lower his cap hit and not only allow us to keep everyone but also make a significant addition to the team after Marleau is no longer on the team.

Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Tavares, Stamkos etc all signed 5-6 year deals after ELC. Only one of them left because his team was trash.

I have zero fears of Matthews leaving. You can tell he likes the attention, the thought of winning with the Leafs and being a legend. He would not leave for Arizona of all teams.

I've talked about this with @Daisy Jane earlier so I am not just saying this because we're hearing this now. I think a 5 year deal makes a lot of sense for the Leafs and Matthews. Matthews could easily get 15M AAV when the cap rises so it makes sense for him to sign an 8 year deal after a 5 year deal and he in return gives us a discount on his contract in his prime. If we sign Matthews to a purely RFA contract buying out no UFA years, he would likely come in at around 9M for 5 years.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
But who said we want a 5 year deal with him in the first place?

Let me guess, an attention seeker no one from Toronto media, based on his own useless speculation.
I believe it was Friedman? Not 100% on that. Kypreos disagreed and said what we are all saying, that the Leafs will pay up to lock him in at 8 years.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Matthews for a 5 year deal isn't bad at all. It would lower his cap hit and not only allow us to keep everyone but also make a significant addition to the team after Marleau is no longer on the team.

Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Tavares, Stamkos etc all signed 5-6 year deals after ELC. Only one of them left because his team was trash.

I have zero fears of Matthews leaving. You can tell he likes the attention, the thought of winning with the Leafs and being a legend. He would not leave for Arizona of all teams.

I've talked about this with @Daisy Jane earlier so I am not just saying this because we're hearing this now. I think a 5 year deal makes a lot of sense for the Leafs and Matthews. Matthews could easily get 15M AAV when the cap rises so it makes sense for him to sign an 8 year deal after a 5 year deal and he in return gives us a discount on his contract in his prime. If we sign Matthews to a purely RFA contract buying out no UFA years, he would likely come in at around 9M for 5 years.

exactly.
and. let's just look at the worst case scenario. what would have to happen for Matthews to want to investigate even contemplating Free Agency?

1: We suck bananas (like not making the playoffs 3 of the 5 years)
2: we never make it out of the 1st round in the eight years here's here.
3: he hates Babcock/Management direction
4: he hates Toronto.

1 - this could happen. i mean sports is voodoo. Andy could leave/suck, and we have no real options. but it's very unlikely, i think.

2 - we are in a top heavy division, and we simply can't beat/pass Tampa/Boston. this could happen. but i doubt this is the case for eight consecutive years.

3 - Babcock will be gone in two years, this i am sure (I'll be very surprised if he stays for the entire length of the contract) - and for most cases. Stars trump Coaches all the time.

4 - this kid loves being here. he handles the media like a pro, he's not really the biggest focus any more (Tavares) but for someone who constantly wants to be better, and seems to eat it up with a spoon, this is the best stage for him. and he said he loves playing hockey where it matters. Where is it gonna matter more than here? Well I guess, Montreal?

there is the "hometown angle." but again. we're gonna assume in 5 years that Arizona is not just gonna be good - but self-sufficent, no ownership/stadium issues and is making a huge trend. (like. in 'best case" scenario) for them - we're looking at maybe Matty's first year here (good team, and everything goes right) for arizona. but that doesn't address the financial aspects etc.

We also have to remember during Crobsy/Malkin's five years they were still dealing with financial owes in Pittsburgh themselves. but they didn't go. No First OVA left their team that drafted them of their own volition - except Tavares. Because NY didn't even have an arena to truly call their own (an how management put a lot of stressors on him etc).

Five years gives Matty an 'out' if he wants to pull the chute, but I would probably see it as 5 years as you mentioned - a pure RFA contract so that lowers the price by like a million (probably 10.5 not 12+) then he gets his monster UFA contract a year out.

and if he leaves. well. it's his right, he's dead to me, and we get McDavid. win win ;)

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Significantly is a stretch. Management gave him Renberg and Hoglund as line mates and the guy still went point per game. Sundin also has something none of our stars have.....a slap shot. We've never had a clapper from the half wall since this guy left.

Sundin is not as exciting to watch as Matthews but he's more fundamentally sound. We are very fortunate to have had both in a Leafs jersey. Leave it at that. If you had to choose between 21 year old Sundin or 21 year old Matthews in this modern NHL, there is no losing. You can just flip a coin and any choice is a win.

I largely agree and Sundin is my favorite Leaf of all time but Matthews looks like he will become the GOAT Leaf. He needs to be consistent like Sundin and also be more sound defensively, but Matthews is unreal.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, I wouldn't even mind a 5 year deal. It's a win win for the Leafs. Under a 5 year deal, we get a lower cap hit and thus, can sign an extra support player to aid in a cup run. Assuming the Leafs win in that 5 year span, the Leafs winning likely would have a huge effect on the cap going up, thus, making it easier and less taxing on his second contract. You get an 7-8 year deal, same principle applies, however with the cap going up, every year the percentage in which how much Matthews takes up on the cap goes down.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
So did I, auston is generational, my arguement is Mats carrer is done and was special, lets not get carried away and throw him under the bus to pump austons tires

Saying Sundin isn't Mario Lemieux isn't throwing Sundin under the bus. :thumbu:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I feel like from the jump, Matthews slots higher than Sundin in the NHL hierarchy of young stars, but of course Sundin carved out a career that was long and consistent. He kind of evolved into more of a power game during the dead puck era.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
The actual goals aside, because a bunch of them have been gifts and he won't always get those opportunities, he still looks much more dominant out there than last year. It's amazing the step up in one off-season and testament to his drive to be better. Watching him reminds me of talent discrepancies you often see in novice/atom/peewee hockey, where a player simply strips pucks off other kids at ease and is bigger/stronger than other kids so also protects it at ease, has a much better shot, more finesse/stick-handling skills, etc.

Also seemingly every shift there's a very subtle move that he does that 95% of the league doesn't do. I was watching a couple games with my dad the other day and when I'd see these little subtle plays I'd pause/rewind/slow things down to show him and he was amazed lol. Eg. I love on rushes on his off-wing where he's trying to cut to net around a defender, he will make this very quick backhand to forehand move and put the puck/stick inside the defenders reach/stick and quickly snipes a shot off. Other players do this but it's rare. Another one I love is when he has the puck in the O-zone he knows exactly when to lift his own stick (leaving the puck ahead of him moving with no stick on it) to elude defenders poke-checks/stick-lifts and then quickly returns his stick to the puck to get a shot off/make a play. It's so subtle but his senses of defenders around him and when they are attempting to strip the puck/stick from him is elite. What a time!

I disagree with your first sentence. He's the exact type of player who will continue to get these "gifts". This is how guys like Crosby and elite goal scorers get half their goals. His awareness and positioning. I'm not saying he will sustain 10/6, but he's going to continue to be in position for those easy goals when they arise. Tavares does the same.

You just fire the puck on net when you have these guys on your line

Reactions: draeko17

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
That Auston Matthews is one piece of ACE!

I stopped one of his snipes once...if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Pinto

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Honestly, I wouldn't even mind a 5 year deal. It's a win win for the Leafs. Under a 5 year deal, we get a lower cap hit and thus, can sign an extra support player to aid in a cup run. Assuming the Leafs win in that 5 year span, the Leafs winning likely would have a huge effect on the cap going up, thus, making it easier and less taxing on his second contract. You get an 7-8 year deal, same principle applies, however with the cap going up, every year the percentage in which how much Matthews takes up on the cap goes down.

Maybe Marner but you don't dance around with Matthews. You sign him 8 years no matter what.

Reactions: HappyGilmourr

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
exactly.
and. let's just look at the worst case scenario. what would have to happen for Matthews to want to investigate even contemplating Free Agency?

1: We suck bananas (like not making the playoffs 3 of the 5 years)
2: we never make it out of the 1st round in the eight years here's here.
3: he hates Babcock/Management direction
4: he hates Toronto.

1 - this could happen. i mean sports is voodoo. Andy could leave/suck, and we have no real options. but it's very unlikely, i think.

2 - we are in a top heavy division, and we simply can't beat/pass Tampa/Boston. this could happen. but i doubt this is the case for eight consecutive years.

3 - Babcock will be gone in two years, this i am sure (I'll be very surprised if he stays for the entire length of the contract) - and for most cases. Stars trump Coaches all the time.

4 - this kid loves being here. he handles the media like a pro, he's not really the biggest focus any more (Tavares) but for someone who constantly wants to be better, and seems to eat it up with a spoon, this is the best stage for him. and he said he loves playing hockey where it matters. Where is it gonna matter more than here? Well I guess, Montreal?

there is the "hometown angle." but again. we're gonna assume in 5 years that Arizona is not just gonna be good - but self-sufficent, no ownership/stadium issues and is making a huge trend. (like. in 'best case" scenario) for them - we're looking at maybe Matty's first year here (good team, and everything goes right) for arizona. but that doesn't address the financial aspects etc.

We also have to remember during Crobsy/Malkin's five years they were still dealing with financial owes in Pittsburgh themselves. but they didn't go. No First OVA left their team that drafted them of their own volition - except Tavares. Because NY didn't even have an arena to truly call their own (an how management put a lot of stressors on him etc).

Five years gives Matty an 'out' if he wants to pull the chute, but I would probably see it as 5 years as you mentioned - a pure RFA contract so that lowers the price by like a million (probably 10.5 not 12+) then he gets his monster UFA contract a year out.

and if he leaves. well. it's his right, he's dead to me, and we get McDavid. win win ;)

What logical reason is there for Babcock to be gone in 2 years? the team has gotten better every year with him

Unless something happens and he dies there is no logical reason to believe Babcock is going anywhere

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The whole offer sheet by Arizona is so funny. Not only are they not an Auston Matthews away from getting out of the basement so they shouldn't give the picks, but just go to their cap friendly page. On their current roster they have less than 2 mil total involved in signing bonuses this year. Toronto? Around 26 Mil. That's a major difference between them. Let's be honest, we're well on our way to another lockout. Signing bonuses guarantee Matthews his money. There's no way Arizona has the cash to offer Matthews a competitive signing bonus.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Let's hope Arizona tanks and gets Jack Hughes this summer, they'll forget all about AM34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->