Pre-Game Talk: The Meth Lab (txs @Bonk), comes to The SENS Den, Fri 7:30 on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
lol, you’re just always THAT guy aren’t you.
also he was being sarcastic so it’s like a 2 for 1 here
I said it a few times as well that Ceci was constantly skating back to cover for his partner because he was too slow to get back. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the coaches knew it too, Ceci had to constantly look to get to pucks first because Phaneuf probably wouldn't because he was such a slow skater. He did most of the skating on that tandem.

Having said that though, there are a lot of other things that I liked about Phaneuf that he was an SOB to play against, he also had a good shot from the point & racked up pts but skating was a huge issue with him.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Smith has been great since the deadline.

He’s been better for sure, but he’s still overpaid and can’t provide the offence to live up to that contract. MVPyatt has outscored him this season.

He should be one of the first guys traded this spring/summer imo, not necessarily because he sucks but because his role can be filled internally for a third of the price and it would free up a good chunk of money to re-sign EK/Stone/Duchene.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He’s been better for sure, but he’s still overpaid and can’t provide the offence to live up to that contract. MVPyatt has outscored him this season.

He should be one of the first guys traded this spring/summer imo, not necessarily because he sucks but because his role can be filled internally for a third of the price and it would free up a good chunk of money to re-sign EK/Stone/Duchene.

A perfect example that all people care about is pts. Does faceoffs not have any value? Smith seems to me to take all of the important faceoofs even with Pageau & Duchene on the team. Does good defensive play not have any value? Smith is one of the very few on this team that makes life miserable for opposing players & he hits. GB has Smith playing in a defensive role not an offensive role which is why he isn't scoring as much because he is also playing with defensive players & the coach has them playing a defensive ROLE. Pageau is in the exact same situation, when he is on the 3rd line he plays a defensive role & when he is on the 2nd line he plays an offensive role & produces more offense.

When Smith played with Pageau & Stone setting him up he had a record yr scoring so he has the ability but the coach seems to NEED him in more of a defensive role than offensive role. When Stone was injured earlier in the yr Smith played with Brassard & Ryan & that line did very well but once Stone came back Smith was put back into a defensive ROLE to stop the opposition from scoring, someone has to do it. I would trade Burrows, Pyatt, Gaborik, Ryan & Paarjarvi before I would trade Smith

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
A perfect example that all people care about is pts. Does faceoffs not have any value? Smith seems to me to take all of the important faceoofs even with Pageau & Duchene on the team. Does good defensive play not have any value? Smith is one of the very few on this team that makes life miserable for opposing players & he hits. GB has Smith playing in a defensive role not an offensive role which is why he isn't scoring as much because he is also playing with defensive players & the coach has them playing a defensive ROLE. Pageau is in the exact same situation, when he is on the 3rd line he plays a defensive role & when he is on the 2nd line he plays an offensive role & produces more offense.

When Smith played with Pageau & Stone setting him up he had a record yr scoring so he has the ability but the coach seems to NEED him in more of a defensive role than offensive role. When Stone was injured earlier in the yr Smith played with Brassard & Ryan & that line did very well but once Stone came back Smith was put back into a defensive ROLE to stop the opposition from scoring, someone has to do it. I would trade Burrows, Pyatt, Gaborik, Ryan & Paarjarvi before I would trade Smith

Pageau has better offensive instincts and ability than Smith though. I understand the comparison even if it's a bit off, but the point is that with Smith you have someone being paid 3M+. He provides certain intangibles and things like faceoffs, defensive play and PK, but he also has 5 goals in 56 games. YES, points DO matter in this case. Someone can come in and literally replace everything he brings while producing more offence. The only real 'loss' would be in the faceoffs department, but we still have good guys in that area. When Smith got the extension, management and posters on here expected him to at least be putting up consecutive 10+ goal seasons. Similar to last season at least. He's only getting older now and his lack of finish this season, even while playing with good players, is very worrisome.

You're using a career year that Smith will NEVER replicate and in which he had a ridiculous shooting % to prove your point. Wasn't he playing top 6 for most of THIS season? Didn't he have opportunities with Duchene AND with Brassard THIS season? Didn't he have PP time this season, and still does? Why are you saying he did very well in that role at the start of the year? He has 5 goals...

I would obviously trade Gaborik/Ryan/Burrows before Smith as well.... I agree with you there. Pyatt no because he comes 2M cheaper with better production. Paajarvi is a UFA so not someone you trade in the summer, though I would re-sign him. You have to ask yourself, would you rather have Smith, or EK/Duchene/Stone? Because imo, getting rid of Smith is a necessary step to re-signing that trio. Keep in mind that I would probably hang on to Smith if he was making 1.5-2M, alas that is not the case. He will also be turning 30 next month. If we're going younger and faster, trading him is a good move to make. This is not something that would excite you, but for me the prospect of having someone like Formenton eventually take his spot makes me salivate. The difference in speed and potential is humongous.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pageau has better offensive instincts and ability than Smith. I understand the comparison even if it's a bit off, but the point is that with Smith you have someone being paid 3M+. Yes he provides certain intangibles and things like faceoffs and defensive play and PK, but he also has put up 5 goals in 52 games. So YES, points do matter in this case. Someone can come in and literally replace everything he brings while producing more offence. The only real 'loss' would be in the faceoffs department, but we still have good guys in that area. When Smith got the extension, management and posters on here expected him to at least be putting up consecutive 10+ goal seasons. Similar to last season at least, where he potted 16 goals. A bit less would be fine too.

You're using a career year that Smith will NEVER replicate and in which he had a ridiculous shooting % to prove your point. Wasn't he playing top 6 for most of this season? Didn't he have opportunities with Duchene AND with Brassard this season? Didn't he have PP time this season, and still does? Why are you saying he did very well in that role? He has 5 goals...

I would obviously trade Gaborik/Ryan/Burrows before Smith as well.... Pyatt I would not because he comes 2M cheaper with better production. Paajarvi is a UFA so not someone you trade in the summer, though I would re-sign him. You have to ask yourself, would you rather have Smith, or EK/Duchene/Stone? Because imo, getting rid of Smith is a necessary step to re-signing that trio. Keep in mind that I would probably hang on to Smith if he was making 1.5-2M, alas that is not the case. He will also be turning 30 next month. If we're going younger and faster, trading him is a good move to make. This is not something that would excite you, but for me the prospect of having someone like Formenton eventually take his spot makes me salivate. The difference in speed and potential is humongous.

Agreed.
Pageau is a much better player than Smith ..at virtually everything... and pound for pound a better hitter.
Pyatt value wise is better. Play wise .. they are similar.. I'd keep Pyatt and move Smith.
The rest of the geriatric crew ... Burrows, Gaborik ... Smith better hope he is better .. these guys would pass waivers through the league. I don't think Smith would.
Ryan .. I would keep over Smith as well. He's expensive but with the roster the Sens have .. we can replace Smith from within .. we can't replace Ryan yet.
I have defended Smith in the past but his $ for production and value need to go. If he was really hard nosed and could deliver the odd big hit .. I'd like him more. He battles but he's not great at it.
Paajarvi .. the guy we got on waivers and makes 800k ... his play vs Smiths play .. Paajarvi is better value.

If Zack Smith's job is to prevent the opposition from scoring .. vs generate offense which he does none of .. his team leading -25 should reflect some of that.

Also @aragorn ... did you say Smith had surgery in the off season? Can you post a link that confirms that I could not find one.

Reactions: Sensinitis

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

pyatt has quietly had himself a career year (ppg wise). smith is having his worst offensive season since signing his new contract. he's still on pace for 26 points. that's disappointing for sure, but he also has about half is career shooting%. pyatt also has two more points in 13 more games and is 10th on the team in scoring. the team is having a down year and so is he.

smith looks about properly paid when i look at capfriendly. obviously there are outliers on either side.

i'd look to buyout gaborik and trade burrows first. trading smith would be third if we need more cash. obviously if it looks like his money is the difference between keeping duchene or karlsson, he should be out of here. i'm not super attached to him, but i do think he's a good player when he has some confidence. i think white is probably ready to step in and take smith's place as well. i'd like to keep them both if we can though.

Smith has been garbage since he signed his new contract and especially so this year.

he was either invisible or hurting the powerplay/top six for most of the season. he's been playing with confidence since the deadline. i've seen him pick apart the neutral zone defense of teams many times with some speed getting into the offensive end. i've seen him make some nice passes. he's getting looks to the net and making himself available in the offensive end. he's been just fine since the deadline. again, just since the deadline. he was killing lines earlier in the season. whole team was pretty bad though.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
pyatt has quietly had himself a career year (ppg wise). smith is having his worst offensive season since signing his new contract. he's still on pace for 26 points. that's disappointing for sure, but he also has about half is career shooting%. pyatt also has two more points in 13 more games and is 10th on the team in scoring. the team is having a down year and so is he.

smith looks about properly paid when i look at capfriendly. obviously there are outliers on either side.

i'd look to buyout gaborik and trade burrows first. trading smith would be third if we need more cash. obviously if it looks like his money is the difference between keeping duchene or karlsson, he should be out of here. i'm not super attached to him, but i do think he's a good player when he has some confidence. i think white is probably ready to step in and take smith's place as well. i'd like to keep them both if we can though.

he was either invisible or hurting the powerplay/top six for most of the season. he's been playing with confidence since the deadline. i've seen him pick apart the neutral zone defense of teams many times with some speed getting into the offensive end. i've seen him make some nice passes. he's getting looks to the net and making himself available in the offensive end. he's been just fine since the deadline. again, just since the deadline. he was killing lines earlier in the season. whole team was pretty bad though.

Nice post! Agreed with pretty much everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad