The Menu Part 8 I pray Hagg Leaves Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Typically it's been all beef or 50% beef and 50% pork.

But I'll hold on to that recipe and try it out. Thanks.

That's the problem with learning to cook using the internet... for everything you want to make, there's literally thousands of recipes, all of which have tiny differences, and it's impossible to pick which you want to try.
I have a theory on this. Look up a bunch of different ones, and you’ll have a good fundamental of what the different flavors will add. Source as much info as you can and then derive your own recipe.

I made Italian wedding soup for my wife a bit back when she had her gall bladder removed. When I did those meatballs I did equal parts ground beef and sweet Italian sausage, Panko, good aged Parmesan fresh parsley and oregano and egg. Pan seared and finished in the oven.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I need a verdict regarding Arby’s. I may be the only person but I always order the potato cakes instead of the fries. They are never ready to go, so I always hold up the drive thru line. But they are THE fast food potato product—superior in my mind to McDonald’s fries and Chick-fil-A’s waffle fries.
ok...here is my verdict: :thumbd:

As a former Wendy's Mgr and DQ employee....McDonald's fries are the best.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I need a verdict regarding Arby’s. I may be the only person but I always order the potato cakes instead of the fries. They are never ready to go, so I always hold up the drive thru line. But they are THE fast food potato product—superior in my mind to McDonald’s fries and Chick-fil-A’s waffle fries.

Such a thing does not exist on this plane, or any other

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My opinion is equal parts meat, pork, veal. Bread crumbs a couple eggs a little garlic, grated Parmesan cheese, parsley. I think that’s it. Let me know if you try it.

I've made that exact recipe before, except no veal.

But since so many people have suggested it, I guess I'll need to try using it next time.

Looks great. Do you buy the dough? That's one thing I have never made is my own pizza dough.

As for your meatballs, here are my tips:

ALWAYS sear them. Color is flavour and when you sear them, you lock in the juices.
I am a NO breadcrumb guy. Others use it, but I am against it.
Try and form them all the same size, but not too big.
If you are unsure if they are done or not, poke the biggest one with a toothpick. If it "bleeds", keep cooking. If it releases clear juice, it is cooked.

Thanks. And nope, didn't make the dough. My local supermarket just has pre-made dough that they use for their own pizzas in the food court area.

No breadcrumbs is unusual... do you have any trouble keeping them together? And I typically keep mine around golfball size.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Woah. This is sandwich talk levels.

No. There are no better fries than chik fil a, when it comes to the fast food world. Maybe me working at Mcdonalds in high school has jaded me, but they just really arent that good. Burger kings are disgusting, and Wendys are just kinda... meh. Im a fan of Arbys, but i understand they anent for everyone. Chik Fil A fries are universally the best.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No. There are no better fries than chik fil a, when it comes to the fast food world. Maybe me working at Mcdonalds in high school has jaded me, but they just really arent that good. Burger kings are disgusting, and Wendys are just kinda... meh. Im a fan of Arbys, but i understand they anent for everyone. Chik Fil A fries are universally the best.

McD's fries are great when they're fresh out of the fryer and are trash one minute later.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I can agree with this - the problem is the rest of your food is never ready in time to enjoy them in that state.

When I was a kid and they had the Bucket of Fries (A medium soda cup filled with fries) it seemed like those were always fresh. I swear they must have had a fryer just churning those things out because they were popular in my heart diseased neighborhood. We'd get one of those and split them because they were always super hot. They were always the best fries. Regular meal fries were always worse.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've always thought McDonalds fries are crazy overrated.

They always seem to be too thin and salty when hot and just awful when cold.

I'll take Wendys over them any day. Curly fries and waffle fries are also preferable.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a theory on this. Look up a bunch of different ones, and you’ll have a good fundamental of what the different flavors will add. Source as much info as you can and then derive your own recipe.

I made Italian wedding soup for my wife a bit back when she had her gall bladder removed. When I did those meatballs I did equal parts ground beef and sweet Italian sausage, Panko, good aged Parmesan fresh parsley and oregano and egg. Pan seared and finished in the oven.
Yeah, that's typically what I do.

Read a ton of recipes, make a note of the core "must have" ingredients, and then see which "extras" seem to make sense.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Thanks. And nope, didn't make the dough. My local supermarket just has pre-made dough that they use for their own pizzas in the food court area.

No breadcrumbs is unusual... do you have any trouble keeping them together? And I typically keep mine around golfball size.

Me...I like my meatballs to taste like meat. Adding bread crumbs, egg. etc.. dilutes that. I use sea salt, pepper, onion powder, and oregano. Nothing else. One BIG mistake that people make, is they over mix the meat. Try and combine the spices with as little "mashing" of the meat as possible. This keeps the integrity of the meat in tact. And by doing it quickly, the heat from your hands doesn't melt any of the fat in the mixture which causes them to get "sticky"

I too make them golf ball sized.

Lately , I been getting small and having them make it on spot no salt
That's the secret to always getting hot fries...ask them for no salt. They will get the fresh ones straight out of the fryer basket before they get dumped into the salt bin.

Then just ask for a packet of salt and add however much you want.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I've always thought McDonalds fries are crazy overrated.

They always seem to be too thin and salty when hot and just awful when cold.

I'll take Wendys over them any day. Curly fries and waffle fries are also preferable.

Striker, you are nuts to think Wendy's fries is better than McDonald's.

I want to throw a cherry pie in your face

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Me...I like my meatballs to taste like meat. Adding bread crumbs, egg. etc.. dilutes that. I use sea salt, pepper, onion powder, and oregano. Nothing else. One BIG mistake that people make, is they over mix the meat. Try and combine the spices with as little "mashing" of the meat as possible. This keeps the integrity of the meat in tact. And by doing it quickly, the heat from your hands doesn't melt any of the fat in the mixture which causes them to get "sticky"

I too make them golf ball sized.

That's one thing I tend to leave out of recipes, even when it's a common ingredient... oregano. I feel like it so easily overpowers other flavors and becomes too much. You either have too little to notice or so much it's all you taste. Same thing with cumin... hate it.

Maybe that's just me.

And yup, I know to avoid overworking the meat. That it can easily make them too compact/dense and dried out because all the fat is gone before it touches the heat. :nod:

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's one thing I tend to leave out of recipes, even when it's a common ingredient... oregano. I feel like it so easily overpowers other flavors and becomes too much. You either have too little to notice or so much it's all you taste. Same thing with cumin... hate it.

Maybe that's just me.

And yup, I know to avoid overworking the meat. That it can easily make them too compact/dense and dried out because all the fat is gone before it touches the heat. :nod:

Cumin is incredibly powerful

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Striker, you are nuts to think Wendy's fries is better than McDonald's.

I want to throw a cherry pie in your face
I assume you would.....but you already ate the pie?

:D

Maybe that's just me.

I admit, I add oregano to most things especially tomato based sauces....like for pasta, pizza, etc...

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Cumin is incredibly powerful

Hateeeee it.

MFW reading a chili recipe that tells me to put in a massive amount of cumin AND oregano:

c0ed22604dd79de532b785864221e484.png

I admit, I add oregano to most things especially tomato based sauces....like for pasta, pizza, etc...

Hey, if you like it, go for it.

I just know that's something I have to avoid or a recipe will be ruined (to me).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hateeeee it.

MFW reading a chili recipe that tells me to put in a massive amount of cumin AND oregano:

c0ed22604dd79de532b785864221e484.png

Hey, if you like it, go for it.

I just know that's something I have to avoid or a recipe will be ruined (to me).

I ignore any chili recipe that calls for a fistful of cumin.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I ignore any chili recipe that calls for a fistful of cumin.
I typically just ignore that ingredient and follow the rest.

Chili recipes are often disasters. There's SO MANY and so many are awful.

Saw one yesterday that asked for carrots.
Another one that had zucchini.
A third with corn and potatoes.

Get out of here with that nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->