The Menu Part 8 I pray Hagg Leaves Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Made arancini (breaded and fried risotto balls, stuffed with ground beef, peas, onions, and tomato sauce) for the first time.

Came out pretty well, even though it was a massive pain in the butt to keep these little ****s from falling apart while being dredged and breaded.

Hard to tell in the picture, but they were roughly tennis ball sized. Unfortunately they were slightly under-stuffed with the meat mixture because I wasn't sure how much to put in and was afraid of endangering the structural integrity of the balls.

05373365659f85c2fa049e7d035f3405.png

2bfc1c8cb9c7045845108d5c40b11b29.png

Overall a solid 7/10, would attempt again.

Only a few months ago you were saying that meatballs and sausage in sauce was too much work :laugh:

You have levelled up, I see

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Only a few months ago you were saying that meatballs and sausage in sauce was too much work :laugh:

You have levelled up, I see
A few months ago I was a weak little b*tch. :thumbu: I've evolved into a slightly less weak little b*tch.

I've also finally figured out how to make tomato sauce taste EXACTLY like how my Sicilian grandmother made it, which was one of my main objectives from the start.

You have leveled down, I see

:laugh: It's just a tiny drizzle. That's how most BBQ chicken pizzas look! I had to be authentic.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A few months ago I was a weak little b*tch. :thumbu: I've evolved into a slightly less weak little b*tch.

I've also finally figured out how to make tomato sauce taste EXACTLY like how my Sicilian grandmother made it, which was one of my main objectives from the start.

:laugh: It's just a tiny drizzle. That's how most BBQ chicken pizzas look! I had to be authentic.

It's time for you to start making Sunday gravies. It's easy as hell, the reward-to-effort level is huge. And it's perfect for a fall/winter sunday of sports watching. Similar to slow cooking something.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's time for you to start making Sunday gravies. It's easy as hell, the reward-to-effort level is huge. And it's perfect for a fall/winter sunday of sports watching. Similar to slow cooking something.

Oh yeah, no doubt that’s going to be on the agenda.

The hold-up was figuring out the sauce, but now that I have that figured out I can move on to all kinds of different things with that as the base.

Next step is figuring out the perfect meatball recipe. I know it’s not complicated, but I haven’t tried one I’m satisfied with yet.

I’m not a picky eater at all, I try everything possible and will eat anything, but I’m an ultra-harsh critic of myself whenever I make a recipe. If it’s not perfect it drives me nuts.

Damn kid...that looks pretty good!
That looks pretty damn delicious. Let me know, next time ill bring the beer.

Thanks guys. :)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh yeah, no doubt that’s going to be on the agenda.

The hold-up was figuring out the sauce, but now that I have that figured out I can move on to all kinds of different things with that as the base.

Next step is figuring out the perfect meatball recipe. I know it’s not complicated, but I haven’t tried one I’m satisfied with yet.

I’m not a picky eater at all, I try everything possible and will eat anything, but I’m an ultra-harsh critic of myself whenever I make a recipe. If it’s not perfect it drives me nuts.

Thanks man. :)

Depending on what flavor you're going for with the meatballs you might find yourself needing to use a grill to sear them to get some charcoal or wood fired flavor

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Depending on what flavor you're going for with the meatballs you might find yourself needing to use a grill to sear them to get some charcoal or wood fired flavor
I actually haven’t even started venturing into grilling yet. Never used one even once.

But my problem always seems to be with forming the meatballs... they’re always either too dense or too loose.

And then some people say to sear them in a pan first before you put them in the oven... others say right into the oven... some don’t even use an oven at all... there’s too many options and I don’t know which to do. :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I actually haven’t even started venturing into grilling yet. Never used one even once.

But my problem always seems to be with forming the meatballs... they’re always either too dense or too loose.

And then some people say to sear them in a pan first before you put them in the oven... others say right into the oven... some don’t even use an oven at all... there’s too many options and I don’t know which to do. :laugh:

I have a recipe I can relay to you. So long as you use exactly a pound of meat it works.

Important meatball forming tip: keep your hands wet. Keeps the meat from sticking and they roll right up.

Searing in the pan first generally adds a little more kick of flavor than chucking straight into the oven.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

Pan to oven. Also, got to have the veal!

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a recipe I can relay to you. So long as you use exactly a pound of meat it works.

Important meatball forming tip: keep your hands wet. Keeps the meat from sticking and they roll right up.

Searing in the pan first generally adds a little more kick of flavor than chucking straight into the oven.
I’d love to try it, if you’d like to share. Thanks.

And yeah, I have no problem forming them. The issue appears once they’re in the pan. Specifically when part is cooked and part is uncooked... the little f***s like to split apart with two seared poles and a raw equator. :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’d love to try it, if you’d like to share. Thanks.

And yeah, I have no problem forming them. The issue appears once they’re in the pan. Specifically when part is cooked and part is uncooked... the little ****s like to split apart with two seared poles and a raw equator. :laugh:

That's an interesting and weird problem

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Yeah, there are so many approaches. I've tried about as many as I could find.

Are you doing beef, pork, and veal? What ratio?

If they're falling apart, it's fine to just dredge them in a little flour. That will get you a nice crust to help keep it together.

When I'm making lasagna, I use basically this recipe now:

Sal's Old-School Meatballs

When I'm making gravy, I make them with my mom's recipe, which is completely different. There's no right answer!

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

If they're falling apart, it's fine to just dredge them in a little flour. That will get you a nice crust to help keep it together.

When I'm making gravy, I make them with my mom's recipe, which is completely different. There's no right answer!
Typically it's been all beef or 50% beef and 50% pork.

But I'll hold on to that recipe and try it out. Thanks.

That's the problem with learning to cook using the internet... for everything you want to make, there's literally thousands of recipes, all of which have tiny differences, and it's impossible to pick which you want to try.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Why would you put gravy on meatballs? Normal people use sauce.

:razz:

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Haven’t tried veal yet. Always either all beef, half beef and half pork, or one shameful attempt with chicken...
My opinion is equal parts beef, pork, veal. Bread crumbs a couple eggs a little garlic, grated Parmesan cheese, parsley. I think that’s it. Let me know if you try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonoffrost

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Today after our round of golf, we headed to Arby's. The closest one to us now is 1 hour away so when we play this certain course, he always head there.

Had the double Beef n Cheddar combo...with a chocolate shake for the drink.

And as any good husband would, I brought home a Beef n Cheddar for the wife.....and a 2nd one for me of course.
I need a verdict regarding Arby’s. I may be the only person but I always order the potato cakes instead of the fries. They are never ready to go, so I always hold up the drive thru line. But they are THE fast food potato product—superior in my mind to McDonald’s fries and Chick-fil-A’s waffle fries.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
BBQ Chicken Pizza made in my cast iron pan

Mozzarella cheese, monterrey jack cheese, BBQ chicken, red onion, bacon, pickled jalapenos, and BBQ sauce on top.

facf5e4a14789dcdc9c245665ba357c3.jpg

Looks great. Do you buy the dough? That's one thing I have never made is my own pizza dough.

As for your meatballs, here are my tips:

ALWAYS sear them. Color is flavour and when you sear them, you lock in the juices.
I am a NO breadcrumb guy. Others use it, but I am against it.
Try and form them all the same size, but not too big.
If you are unsure if they are done or not, poke the biggest one with a toothpick. If it "bleeds", keep cooking. If it releases clear juice, it is cooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad