OT: The Menu Part 5 Gritty's Kitchen and Lou's Tavern edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
@Appleyard

My running theory Alex, is England was so good at conquering/fighting because they were never properly satiated at home. Lol

Being served this makes anyone long for war.

IMG_0233.JPG

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
I think Shepard’s Pie & Ham & Cabbage are really the only English/Irish dishes I’ve ever had & liked.

Bubble and Squeak is pretty awesome, assuming the leftovers its being made from were good. Bangers and mash is usually good and a true full English breakfast is awesome.

One thing I have never had but always been intrigued by (I'll usually try anything once) is haggis (I know, not English, but the same general geographic vicinity).

Reactions: Appleyard

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Bubble and Squeak is pretty awesome, assuming the leftovers its being made from were good. Bangers and mash is usually good and a true full English breakfast is awesome.

One thing I have never had but always been intrigued by (I'll usually try anything once) is haggis (I know, not English, but the same general geographic vicinity).

I can never get past the smell. Awful.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Like most if you, I'm also trying to dial it back after the holidays. Had a pork loin in the slow cooker at work today, and while it doesn't look like much (purposely let it slow cook dry save for some chicken broth), it tastest heavenly.

Made a rub of of chipotle olive oil, chili pepper, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, creole seasoning, and some cinnamon. Marinated the night before in it then just let 'er sit for a few hours. Sweet potatoes were baked with cinnamon and a little brown sugar.

Attachments

• 20190108_175352.jpg
    20190108_175352.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 10

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
@Appleyard

My running theory Alex, is England was so good at conquering/fighting because they were never properly satiated at home. Lol

Being served this makes anyone long for war.

View attachment 173381

"If I eat one more can of microwaved spotted dick I swear I will conquer India and take their curry."

--East India Company, 1650.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
It is absolutely not shocking to me in the slightest that the ancient Roman condiment of Garum was resurrected in the West into modern times as Worcestersharshire sauce. "I put the fish guts in a container and then drink the juice months later? That sounds great!"

To be fair Worceshtshahshirieiririerre sauce is incredible though so kudos on the fish juice.

Rim a 20 oz glass with a mixture of celery salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder (or just Caesar rimmer if you can find it)

Ice
1 oz vodka
5 squirts worshisissisisteeerersshsire sauce
3 squirts like juice
Splash of pickle juice
Hot sauce to taste
Top with clamato juice (yea literally clam and tomato juice)

Boom, worlds best hangover drink and worlds best use of whorshisisisishjissiishsitshirrre sauce.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Rim a 20 oz glass with a mixture of celery salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder (or just Caesar rimmer if you can find it)

Ice
1 oz vodka
5 squirts worshisissisisteeerersshsire sauce
3 squirts like juice
Splash of pickle juice
Hot sauce to taste
Top with clamato juice (yea literally clam and tomato juice)

Boom, worlds best hangover drink and worlds best use of ****shisisisishjissiishsitshirrre sauce.

The only reason this works as a hangover drink is because its so damn disgusting it makes you forget how awful you felt before.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Haha, yeh, I would say so.

As for Norwich... cannot say much bad about the place because my best friend is from near there and it is "ok"... but I would also say that if he is from Norwich he probably runs the shop with his wife who is also his sister. :skeptic: (though I cannot justify that type of crass stereotype, it is not fair on those lovely, friendly folk from Norfolk! Genuinely some of the nicest people you will meet are from Norfolk, Suffolk, Cornwall and Devon... the south of England's "backwaters"!)

Find a guy from Wigan or Accrington or Bolton or Burnley or Oldham... I would say they are stereo typically the fives place that come to mind when we Lancastrian's think Pies.

(funnily enough all of them you also think stereo-typically are full of drunk middle aged men watching football, trying to fight people, with silly accents, who play cricket on the weekends and fear flat-caps and may own a whippet, probably be a dodgy builder, for their job or a drug dealer if they are a bit savvy, whose sons all have criminal records and bad tribal tattoos.) :laugh: But damn can they make a pie even if you would not want to spend 5 minutes in any of those places.

Btw, this culinary treat made its way to Canada a few years ago! Wonder if they are still in business?

Oldham pies in heart of Canada

Your sister is your mother
Your father is your brother
You all shag one another
The Norwich family!

I went to London in November 2017 and loved the various meat pies I've had...I knew they weren't the "best" that England can offer, but I don't really have a reason to visit any of those places you listed since I'm not interested in watching League One or League Two soccer :laugh:

Also, it's so simple, but I love me some bangers and mash

Reactions: Appleyard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad