The meeting is now over for the day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysfanatic*

Peter said:
According to TSN the meeting is over and the only thing that was said, so far, to the media was that they will be meeting again sometime soon.

Whoopppeee! :shakehead

Better than nothing.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Did you expect the CBA to be negotiated after one meeting. Whats promising is that they plan to meet again. That is something to be happy about.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Agreed it's good, but given the very short time-line we are working with to get a somewhat viable season done, I would have hoped for more.

I know that maybe stupid to expect so much after 1 aftermoon meeting, but if this is the rate they are going to work at we are still out of a season. It feels like we were 0% done this whole thing last week and now we have moved up to what? 5%? 10% at most? There is a long way to go imho.

Good news but not good enough. Here's hoping for a more productive next meeting, And also hoping it is soon. Like tomorrow soon.

I mean, Gretz and a some others worked their asses off all night for a few days to get the deal done in 94. We need that kind of commitment here as well. And if these clowns don't pick up the pace quick, I hope Gretz, Mario, Burke, Mess and others step it up and take ownership of their league. It seems these youngsters don't know how to get the job done, so the grandpas gotta step in to save the day again. But some time these next gen guy need to get their act together and take some ownership of the game. The old-timers can't do it forever...

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
s7ark said:
Agreed it's good, but given the very short time-line we are working with to get a somewhat viable season done, I would have hoped for more.

I know that maybe stupid to expect so much after 1 aftermoon meeting, but if this is the rate they are going to work at we are still out of a season. It feels like we were 0% done this whole thing last week and now we have moved up to what? 5%? 10% at most? There is a long way to go imho.

Good news but not good enough. Here's hoping for a more productive next meeting, And also hoping it is soon. Like tomorrow soon.

I mean, Gretz and a some others worked their asses off all night for a few days to get the deal done in 94. We need that kind of commitment here as well. And if these clowns don't pick up the pace quick, I hope Gretz, Mario, Burke, Mess and others step it up and take ownership of their league. It seems these youngsters don't know how to get the job done, so the grandpas gotta step in to save the day again. But some time these next gen guy need to get their act together and take some ownership of the game. The old-timers can't do it forever...

There is no telling how much got done in this meeting. Nothing was said and even if something was said, we can't look that much into it. For all we know the deal could be agreed to in principle, both sides will just have to put in front of the big guys to get their approval. I try not to believe anything in this "war" until it has been proven, and since its all a guess on what happened in the meeting, I will keep my hopes up.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
kerrly said:
There is no telling how much got done in this meeting. Nothing was said and even if something was said, we can't look that much into it. For all we know the deal could be agreed to in principle, both sides will just have to put in front of the big guys to get their approval. I try not to believe anything in this "war" until it has been proven, and since its all a guess on what happened in the meeting, I will keep my hopes up.

That's fair. I can respect that. Good call. Very optimistic :)

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
How about we think of it like this:

The meeting was held so that Trevor Linden could discuss the players issues with the proposal previously given by the league, and for Mr. Hotchkiss to discuss the board of governors issues with the NHLPAs previous proposal. Now with both sides knowing the problems they had they'll go home, and say "ok Gary Bettman, we need to make our offer more like this..." and Linden says "Bob, lets think about this cost certainty thing a bit...". Then, they meet again, on, oh...Friday? and present the proposals to each other, and discover that both of them offered 3 of the exact same things, after thoughtful discussions between Hotchkiss and Linden. Then after a long night of making love, they emerge from the meeting, with their new baby...the New CBA.

Now, the likelihood of that all happening is not great, but there's no way this meeting was a bad thing at all.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I think we all knew a deal wouldn't be reached today especially with Bob and Gary not there. The fact is they are meeting again and wont say when and where is a good thing IMO. Maybe they have the ground work layed out and need the big bosses to sign off. Who knows, i guess we'll have to wait a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad