The Mayor and Lebreton - public funds for Lebreton

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I initially felt I was deadset against any city money going into Lebreton, save the typical city infrastructure that needs to be invested. However, reading Kelly Egan's article, made me reconsider my position a little bit:

"Privately, Melnyk has been raising the spectre of public financing. This is not a crazy idea. It has been done in cities across Canada and around North America, including in Edmonton, where the new arena is described as a cornerstone in an admirable act of city building.
(It might help to remember, too, that TD Place (stadium and arena ) are city-owned facilities.)
You do wonder why Melnyk has not engaged the broader community in a conversation about whether funding from three levels of government should be on the table, to create an arena that would be ours, not his. The hockey team plays 41 regular-season home games, after all. Would the arena, or “entertainment centre,” not deliver public benefits the rest of the year?"

Edmonton has really benefitted from their investment into Rogers Centre and the surrounding area.

Perhaps the mayor being crystal clear in not wanting any part of city financing was a little premature? Could the City have struck a deal to use the arena for city events as part of its payments into the arena and Lebreton?

"
It doesn’t matter that Mayor Jim Watson isn’t a fan of public financing. It doesn’t start or end there. There will be other mayors. There will not be another LeBreton Flats.
Neither do I think the public is totally close-minded to the idea. You know, I only take the bus when my car is in the shop, and this occurs with alarming frequency, but I support the spending of billions on public transit I will hardly use. I don’t visit the library as much as I used to, but I support my tax dollars being used to build a new central branch and support all the others.
We have national art galleries and museums that lots of people never go to. The average person might be at the National Arts Centre once or twice a year. Wonder who paid for that high-brow funhouse? We all pay for schools long after we’re through the system. It’s part of funding a civil society."

Someone touched on this in one of the other threads, but felt it was a good discussion to have on its own about public financing for Lebreton. I haven't been to a library or on a bus since the early 80s. Museums? Maybe once every few years?

"I would throw in one other factor. In the spring of 2019, the $2.1-billion LRT system is to open, with stations at Pimisi and Bayview, and a lot of nothing in between. Can no reasonable case be mounted that it requires public financing to make something happen there?
But we’ve never really had the debate, have we? (It would have been useful, and certainly fun, to have had a referendum on this question in the October municipal election, but alas, the idea had no champion. The city spent $3.5 billion in 2018 — would we even notice $50 million thrown at a civic arena?)"

True, if the mayor was maybe trying to do something on his end, financially, to help both sides to cooperate on the Lebreton partnership, maybe a question added to the ballot box would have been a great idea. I am willing to bet it would have been a resounding "no", but framed in a certain way, it might have been palatable to many in the city.

"The point is, there is another way to view the proposition of a publicly supported arena than “Senior on Fixed Income Forced to Help Pay Bobby Ryan’s Salary.”

This is something that many would have a hard time rationalizing.

I have to admit, his article did sway me towards the fact that perhaps the mayor could have done more on a crucial and probably the most valuable piece of property in all the land.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I initially felt I was deadset against any city money going into Lebreton, save the typical city infrastructure that needs to be invested. However, reading Kelly Egan's article, made me reconsider my position a little bit:

"Privately, Melnyk has been raising the spectre of public financing. This is not a crazy idea. It has been done in cities across Canada and around North America, including in Edmonton, where the new arena is described as a cornerstone in an admirable act of city building.
(It might help to remember, too, that TD Place (stadium and arena ) are city-owned facilities.)
You do wonder why Melnyk has not engaged the broader community in a conversation about whether funding from three levels of government should be on the table, to create an arena that would be ours, not his. The hockey team plays 41 regular-season home games, after all. Would the arena, or “entertainment centre,” not deliver public benefits the rest of the year?"

Edmonton has really benefitted from their investment into Rogers Centre and the surrounding area.

Perhaps the mayor being crystal clear in not wanting any part of city financing was a little premature? Could the City have struck a deal to use the arena for city events as part of its payments into the arena and Lebreton?

"
It doesn’t matter that Mayor Jim Watson isn’t a fan of public financing. It doesn’t start or end there. There will be other mayors. There will not be another LeBreton Flats.
Neither do I think the public is totally close-minded to the idea. You know, I only take the bus when my car is in the shop, and this occurs with alarming frequency, but I support the spending of billions on public transit I will hardly use. I don’t visit the library as much as I used to, but I support my tax dollars being used to build a new central branch and support all the others.
We have national art galleries and museums that lots of people never go to. The average person might be at the National Arts Centre once or twice a year. Wonder who paid for that high-brow funhouse? We all pay for schools long after we’re through the system. It’s part of funding a civil society."

Someone touched on this in one of the other threads, but felt it was a good discussion to have on its own about public financing for Lebreton. I haven't been to a library or on a bus since the early 80s. Museums? Maybe once every few years?

"I would throw in one other factor. In the spring of 2019, the $2.1-billion LRT system is to open, with stations at Pimisi and Bayview, and a lot of nothing in between. Can no reasonable case be mounted that it requires public financing to make something happen there?
But we’ve never really had the debate, have we? (It would have been useful, and certainly fun, to have had a referendum on this question in the October municipal election, but alas, the idea had no champion. The city spent $3.5 billion in 2018 — would we even notice $50 million thrown at a civic arena?)"

True, if the mayor was maybe trying to do something on his end, financially, to help both sides to cooperate on the Lebreton partnership, maybe a question added to the ballot box would have been a great idea. I am willing to bet it would have been a resounding "no", but framed in a certain way, it might have been palatable to many in the city.

"The point is, there is another way to view the proposition of a publicly supported arena than “Senior on Fixed Income Forced to Help Pay Bobby Ryan’s Salary.”

This is something that many would have a hard time rationalizing.

I have to admit, his article did sway me towards the fact that perhaps the mayor could have done more on a crucial and probably the most valuable piece of property in all the land.
I would support public financing if Melnyk was not the owner.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No public money. The difference enteeen libraries and schools and public transit is there is no one to profit on the other end.

Melnyck flies here on private plane from Barbados. If he wants an arena, sell your plane, sell Belleville, sell your horses and your Beach bar - like everyone else has to do when they want to buy something big, they sacrifice. This BS story that Melnyck goes to CHEO once a year so he should be redeemed with millions of dollars, give that money to the nurses and the hospital staff who are a REAL part of the community and are actually making a difference everyday, not for 2 hours a year.

I bought a house and I had to buckle down and I don’t have a car - Melnyk can do the same. He’ll never do it because he’s a spoiled brat, and I don’t want to give money to a spoiled brat who wants to ‘skate when I want to skate, I go for a skate’ - our civic dignity should not endorse that type of arrogance.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I am for public financing if some of the revenues go back to the city since they put in money for the arena. Or, public financing with a non-profit ran Ottawa Senators public franchise. :naughty: (Yes I know this will never happen)

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I don't have any issue with public funds going to an arena. The amount of money every level of government pisses away on things I'll never use or don't care about is massive. I genuinely would support some of my tax dollars going to something that provides me year round entertainment. My only caveat being I wouldn't want any tax money going to the team with Melnyk in charge. I wouldn't trust that man to develop an ant farm let alone a key piece of land in the nations capital.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No public money. The difference enteeen libraries and schools and public transit is there is no one to profit on the other end.

Melnyck flies here on private plane from Barbados. If he wants an arena, sell your plane, sell Belleville, sell your horses and your Beach bar - like everyone else has to do when they want to buy something big, they sacrifice. This BS story that Melnyck goes to CHEO once a year so he should be redeemed with millions of dollars, give that money to the nurses and the hospital staff who are a REAL part of the community and are actually making a difference everyday, not for 2 hours a year.

I bought a house and I had to buckle down and I don’t have a car - Melnyk can do the same. He’ll never do it because he’s a spoiled brat, and I don’t want to give money to a spoiled brat who wants to ‘skate when I want to skate, I go for a skate’ - our civic dignity should not endorse that type of arrogance.

The city may have lost out on the anticipated revenue of up to 4000 condos. Could be an extra 16-20M in taxation per year.

I understand your sentiments, though. It is a very divisive topic. I am not sold on public money, but was intrigued by the points he made. There isn't going to be another Lebreton Flats.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The city may have lost out on the anticipated revenue of up to 4000 condos. Could be an extra 16-20M in taxation per year.

I understand your sentiments, though. It is a very divisive topic. I am not sold on public money, but was intrigued by the points he made. There isn't going to be another Lebreton Flats.

Why give Melnyck a single penny when Devcore is sitting there telling everyone who will listen they have all the money to do it privately???

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Why give Melnyck a single penny when Devcore is sitting there telling everyone who will listen they have all the money to do it privately???

True. The NCC just liked Melnyk's deal better, although, myself I preferred Devcore as it made LF a place to visit. I think, outside of hockey, the way it is now proposed, there is nothing bringing me there.

If the city can sit back and rake 20M extra in revenues just from property taxes every year, is it conceivable that maybe Watson could have handled his side of the deal better?

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005

1) The taxation dollars thing doesn't make complete sense. City council sets the tax rate to meet their budget needs. If people live in Orleans or Lebreton, you still have the same tax base to tax. You might have that subset of people pay a slightly higher rate and then other folks will pay less, but it isn't like you just add money. Alternatively, you could argue that more people will move to Ottawa if there is more housing. That is hardly likely to lead to an extra 16-20M though. Probably most will just be moving around the city.

2) The question should be does Ottawa want to give Melnyk a bunch of cash. That is effectively what we are talking about here. My answer to that is no - no way should this turkey billionaire get public funds.

However, I would be OK with Ottawa "giving" Melnyk $500 million for a new arena if Ottawa also received 60% of the Ottawa Senators franchise. That is a fair deal at least. That is what people in Ottawa should be pushing if anything.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know I'm an outsider, but why should the city give a guy who purposefully avoids as much Canadian tax as possible by living in the Barbados significant cash. That's extreme tax avoidance by even the ulta-rich standards (he's the only NHL owner I can think of who lives like this). They basically gave him prime real-estate on a platter and he managed to f*** that up.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I know I'm an outsider, but why should the city give a guy who purposefully avoids as much Canadian tax as possible by living in the Barbados significant cash. That's extreme tax avoidance by even the ulta-rich standards (he's the only NHL owner I can think of who lives like this). They basically gave him prime real-estate on a platter and he managed to **** that up.

[Mod]
Honest question, what happens first - Ottawa moves to Lebreton or the Leafs win the Cup?

Last edited by a moderator:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

They said they will leave a spot empty for 5 years if someone else wants to build a rink. They also want to build things that the city pays for and has to look after when they are finished I believe no?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I know I'm an outsider, but why should the city give a guy who purposefully avoids as much Canadian tax as possible by living in the Barbados significant cash. That's extreme tax avoidance by even the ulta-rich standards (he's the only NHL owner I can think of who lives like this). They basically gave him prime real-estate on a platter and he managed to **** that up.

It does not matter where he lives, taxes on profits made in canada are paid, the players pay taxes and land taxes are paid.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have never heard of a Leafs fan make sense until just now. I guess there is a 1st for everything.

Honest question, what happens first - Ottawa moves to Lebreton or the Leafs win the Cup?
Can I pick option C, of Melnyk having a weird Christmas fireside chat with Boro, saying how Ruddy wasn't a team player and how the team will be better as a united front at the CTC, than part of his toxic development?

The optimist in me (from my side), says Leafs cup, but I can see how that could be perceived as rantings of a madman over here.

Reactions: Gesus and Tuna99

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It does not matter where he lives, taxes on profits made in canada are paid, the players pay taxes and land taxes are paid.
He significantly reduces the amount of tax he has to pay on global business and personal income by living in Barbados. He lives there as a tax avoidance strategy. Fair play to him, but don't come asking for public money when you decided to live your life like that.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

The Jame Bagnall article in today's paper brings this issue up as well.

"Finally, since the LeBreton project is to benefit Ottawa as a whole, some taxpayer funding is justified — especially if it improves the likelihood this thing will actually get done. Later, it now turns out, rather than sooner."

Bagnall: What Ottawa can learn from this Senators-LeBreton mess

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm normally against public funding for sports initiatives but if it benefits the city & it's citizens than it should be looked into & discussed. Since I doubt EM will sell the team anytime soon, I would prefer to see a partnership with Devcore whereby both parties get what they want & the public get something out of it too. Besides the hockey rink, bars, restaurants & condos it would also be nice to make it an attraction there that draws more than just hockey fans for games but also brings people there for the attractions around it all yr round.

An outside rink would be nice in winter, a small park in summer, maybe an outside amphitheater would be interesting where Ottawa entertainers could perform, including a large outdoor monitor to show a variety of things. If they can put together some ideas that benefit the city & the citizens than some public funding may be appropriate. If we don't do anything while EM still owns the team than it might be a long wait whereby nothing gets accomplished & it's yrs before anything is done with the site again. It would be nice to build something there that benefits the city & it's citizens & not just the wealthy developers & the hockey aspect of the development. They need to develop LTR over to Gatineau, Kanata, Barrhaven & Orleans so people from all over the city can get to Lebreton easily & not just on game days.

Reactions: Samboni

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
This city is not going to do any favours for Eugene Melnyk. You kidding or what?

Last edited by a moderator:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As a society we have to start pushing back on the rich before they oppress us in to nothing even if it means we lose some of the things we love, like hockey. No way should this man (or other super wealthy people) be gifted an arena.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Public funds for the public spaces, sure. For the private arena and Condo's? Hell no.

Edit: Just noticed the OP that the concept is of a public arena, which is fine so long as the public reaps fair benefit (profits) of it.

Reactions: Howard Beale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->