The Matthew Peca saga

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Explain it to me. How is it different from the Mikael Audette's case?

How is Mikael Audette's case different than Jhase Sniderman's? It's not.

Both are different than Peca's. Peca has yet to play a game. Peca has teams in the league that has his rights after him. I don't see how you can consider them to be at all alike.

I think it was more about studying in a selected university than studying in french anywhere.

Then quit hockey and go study at Laval if it's that important. Or better yet, study there during the summer. What a novel idea.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
So if Nathan McKinnon wants to study at Queen's University in Kingston, it would be OK for Kingston to poach him from the Q?

If at 18-19 he has said no to Q teams 2-3 years in a row. I say I'd rather see him play in the OHL than to the States.

I'm advocating for the CHL and Canada.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
How is Mikael Audette's case different than Jhase Sniderman's? It's not.

Both are different than Peca's. Peca has yet to play a game. Peca has teams in the league that has his rights after him. I don't see how you can consider them to be at all alike.

Really? Roy has called every team in the OHL and they all said they didn't claim him. Is there a ghost team that we don't know of?

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Really? Roy has called every team in the OHL and they all said they didn't claim him. Is there a ghost team that we don't know of?

By his 'rights', I meant territorial rights and by "after him", I'm referring to Windsor, Kitchener, Ottawa, Kingston.

And no rebuttal for the Sniderman case?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Explain it to me. How is it different from the Mikael Audette's case?
What are the particulars of the Audette case? A small number of guys do cross league borders every year. Not (that I'm aware of) because they refuse to play in the league they started out in, however. What was it 3, 4 OHL teams had Peca's rights and wanted him to play there? But because Quebec either offered him more $$$, or he wanted to go to Laval and study french, or whatever, he REFUSED to report. The waiver system is a good way to help guys stay in major junior who might otherwise have nowhere else to go when nobody wants them. I thought maybe that was the Audette case. It's not supposed to be yet another avenue for the teams with prestige/$$$ to cherry pick some of the better talent that plenty of other teams would like to have.

I do still disagree with Branch doing it in a "sneaky" way, if that's what he actually did. (Still not sure how that worked, aside from the hearsay here). A bogus/phantom waiver claim that was never actually made is not the way to go. He should have found/should find a more transparent way to block it.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
What are the particulars of the Audette case? A small number of guys do cross league borders every year. Not (that I'm aware of) because they refuse to play in the league they started out in, however. What was it 3, 4 OHL teams had Peca's rights and wanted him to play there? But because Quebec either offered him more $$$, or he wanted to go to Laval and study french, or whatever, he REFUSED to report. The waiver system is a good way to help guys stay in major junior who might otherwise have nowhere else to go when nobody wants them. I thought maybe that was the Audette case. It's not supposed to be yet another avenue for the teams with prestige/$$$ to cherry pick some of the better talent that plenty of other teams would like to have.

I do still disagree with Branch doing it in a "sneaky" way, if that's what he actually did. (Still not sure how that worked, aside from the hearsay here). A bogus/phantom waiver claim that was never actually made is not the way to go. He should have found/should find a more transparent way to block it.

This is why it frustrates me.

If a team wants to keep his rights, I'm fine with it. But the commish blocking him from becoming a free agent in a sneaky way like you said, it's not right.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Just last year the same thing was done, a player going from the Q to the OHL and nobody was against it... Every team in the Q was asked not to claim him.

The CHL leagues should work with each other instead of blocking each other.

The kid has said no to OHL teams two years in a row. Instead of losing him to the NCAA, why don't you forget your ego and let him play where he wants in the CHL instead of losing him to the NCAA?

Audette was 19, wasn't he? He also wasn't very good

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
He wouldn't have to clear waivers in the Q. He would be a free agent.

This is false. He has to clear waivers in the claiming league as an 18 year-old. And because he'd be released, he'd actually have to clear OHL waivers as well.

Roy was trying to negotiate a sneaky deal where he wouldn't actually go on waivers in either league (since there is no way he would have cleared OHL waivers AND Q waivers).

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
This is false. He has to clear waivers in the claiming league as an 18 year-old. And because he'd be released, he'd actually have to clear OHL waivers as well.

Roy was trying to negotiate a sneaky deal where he wouldn't actually go on waivers in either league (since there is no way he would have cleared OHL waivers AND Q waivers).

I was told he didn't have to go through waivers in the Q.

About the redundant thread: I wanted to start it here only. Sorry.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
17 year-olds have to clear waivers in both leagues.

18 year-olds have to clear waivers in the claiming league (where his rights are owned, every team in his league would have to pass on him on waivers to free him from the OHL; guys who are not on a protected list are not subject to the same thing because teams can protect the player by drafting him, and chose not to at least twice)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
17 year-olds have to clear waivers in both leagues.

18 year-olds have to clear waivers in the claiming league (where his rights are owned, every team in his league would have to pass on him on waivers to free him from the OHL; guys who are not on a protected list are not subject to the same thing because teams can protect the player by drafting him, and chose not to at least twice)

I just asked a reporter about it and he said he wouldn't have to go through waivers in the Q.

Last edited:

dereksutton9

Mar 28, 2011
Here's the post on the other thread for the French impaired. Note this came directly from a language translator so excuse some of the translations. My favourite is what Kitchener's team came out as.

QUEBEC - “the police chief of the League of Ontario can at the same time act like chair Canadian League of hockey and think of equitably serving the interests of the two other leagues juniors (Quebec and Ouest)?â€

Being disappointed “nebulous†turning that would have borrowed the League junior of Ontario (OHL) and which prevents Matthew Peca from joining the Ramparts of Quebec, Patrick Roy wonders about the double function which the police chief David Branch assumes.

At the end of a saga which lasted all the summer, of the questions remained without answers to the taste of the Ramparts will lead this player of Ontarian origin to turn the back on hockey Canadian junior to the profit of the team of the Quinnipiac University, to which it envisaged to be referred Friday.

It is in Quebec and nowhere elsewhere, because of the academic facilities which the Ramparts would have offered to him, that the perfectly bilingual player agreed to play, according to what it had confirmed with the “Newspaper of Quebecâ€, Tuesday.
The Ramparts however believed to have the free field from the beginning to acquire it. The permission obtained of Spitfires de Windsor to discuss with the family Peca, then the abandonment of the 67 ' S of Ottawa of possible steps to acquire the player at the time of his release, had been negotiated between the Ramparts and these two organizations. Agreements to go to dispute in these cities of the matches présaison during two next years had been agreed.

Equip mystery

Confronted with a cul-de-sac with Peca, Windsor thus gave it in Frontenacs Kingston, which inherited in their turn a refusal the family. Subjected to the ballot, the Combat boots of Kitchener then claimed it. Then, the scenario is repeated: the Combat boots borrow also the way of the ballot with right of recall and it is precisely during this phase that the imbroglio will find its origin.

Informed that IceDogs of the Niagara could be interested in Peca, the Ramparts mean with them so that they “forget†the player, which they will do “at five minutes†of the expiry, according to Patrick Roy. However another team would have finally claimed Peca “in these last minutesâ€, but its identity remains secret.

“There is not the certainty which he was indeed claimedâ€, Roy raises, who believes “that people hide us the truthâ€. According to the allusions grabbed here and there during this serial, the OHL would fear the exile of a player of this gauge in a close league. “Can one have the assurance which the player in question was claimed? â€, asked Roy.

Doubly underprivileged
Joined by the “Newspaper of Quebecâ€, Tuesday, the police chief Branch was remained evasive on the subject, repeating that its league functioned according to “legal procedures†and that a player was to pass by the ballot of his league before hoping to join another of them. The Combat boots of Kitchener had not wanted to comment on the subject.

Saying itself disadvantaged by the thin American basin accessible to the League from hockey major junior from Quebec (only Massachusetts and Connecticut), the direction of the Ramparts is explained duty badly now to be deprived of a player of quality originating in Ontario, which always meant not to want to play in the OHL.
“Work number one of Mr. Branch must be to make it possible to players to evolve in the Canadian League of hockey (which is the regrouping of the three leagues juniors), and this, it the league does not matter€, the pilot of the Ramparts estimated.

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
We'll see about that. The Remparts are always contender in the Q every year. That won't change next year.

We have in junior what we call the "cycles". you can't be good any year Red Wings-like. Even the richest clubs have down years, see Halifax, Moncton, etc.
The team has like 5 veterans from last year. While they have lots of talent, they are also very young.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
We have in junior what we call the "cycles". you can't be good any year Red Wings-like. Even the richest clubs have down years, see Halifax, Moncton, etc.
The team has like 5 veterans from last year. While they have lots of talent, they are also very young.

While I agree with you that junior hockey has cycles but Quebec only had one bad season since I started following junior hockey eight years ago...7 straight seasons of 37+ wins

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
While I'm a CHL follower and only have very mild interest in the NCAA I have never heard of Quinnapac (sp?).
How's the of hockey program and do they offer french (like he said he wanted at Laval)?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I always think it's funny that the commish of the OHL is also the commish of the CHL. It would be like the owner of a hockey team was also the commish of the league. I don't even see how they allow that up there. It's like the whole Selig thing but even more obvious and more Pejorative Slured.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Quinnipiac is a middle of the pack team in the ECAC conference...They offer French as a minor.

Flat out gorgeous campus and a beautiful place to be in during the fall, too. That area is really, really nice. I was thinking about going there both when I was an undergrad and then when I was looking at law schools. I decided against the law program since, well, they aren't ranked too high but man is the campus beautiful.

Nyax

Oct 2, 2008
Parts Unknown
The kid should have just signed with the Spitfires, the team that drafted him. You can't just pick what CHL team you go to. That's not how things work. If he wants to learn french he can pick up Rosetta Stone software.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
The kid should have just signed with the Spitfires, the team that drafted him. You can't just pick what CHL team you go to. That's not how things work. If he wants to learn french he can pick up Rosetta Stone software.

What are your opinions on Nathan Mackinnon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad