Player Discussion The Matt Benning Gamble

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Id be confident enough to gime a a 5 year deal at about 3 per. I dont see anything in his game that suggests regression.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think he's a perfect candidate for a bridge deal.

I really don't see enough upside to try to save money down the road.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
If he looks like a 2nd pairing defender by the end of the season I don't see why not. Felt that he looked pretty good next to Sekera and Klefbomb in the short stints, and he has managed to do well with Nurse.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
An "incredible talent"? Is the writer his agent or family member? He was decent, but let's not get carried away here. :laugh:

"going to go down as Chiarelli's best move"?

Yeah, this writer is not seeing clearly here. Not really the clearest writing either. Is he advocating to extend Benning now? Next off-season it will be much clearer what Benning's value is.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
"going to go down as Chiarelli's best move"?

Yeah, this writer is not seeing clearly here. Not really the clearest writing either. Is he advocating to extend Benning now? Next off-season it will be much clearer what Benning's value is.

My guess is the writer is hoping to replicate the Klefbom contract success... but Benning isn't there yet. Ideal bridge candidate.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'd do a longer term deal for low aav. Benning has good tools and a really good rookie season. Almost no holes in his game and still has good offensive upside.

Has a future as a good 2nd pairing D. Upside of hjmarlsson

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'd do a longer term deal for low aav. Benning has good tools and a really good rookie season. Almost no holes in his game and still has good offensive upside.

Has a future as a good 2nd pairing D. Upside of hjmarlsson

downside of Davidson\Marincin.

Lets see how he is playing in December next season before locking him up. The guy might not be top 6 material next year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He was heavily sheltered but to his credit did play well when asked to move up for the most part which is emcouraging. Still nowhere near the sample size to throw out a contract like the writer suggests.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Benning was very good for a rookie exceeded all expectations slowed a bit around 60 game mark but this is expected from a college player that was used to playing once a week . HF Oilers is so hard on any player its amazing they expect every rookie to produce like McDavid. Chia was very lucky to get this guy for free and will have a very long NHL career for sure.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'd lock up Benning for as cheap as you can and as long as you can.

I've seen enough to say he's going to be at the very, very minimum... a very good to outstanding #5 dman... but honestly I think he's already a solid top 4 dman with an outside but legit chance at becoming a near top pairing type dman.

8 years * $2.5 million.

Put $20 million dollars into his hands and see if he and his agents bite on that.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Benning was very good for a rookie exceeded all expectations slowed a bit around 60 game mark but this is expected from a college player that was used to playing once a week . HF Oilers is so hard on any player its amazing they expect every rookie to produce like McDavid. Chia was very lucky to get this guy for free and will have a very long NHL career for sure.

Benning has been astounding for us and I think it's fair to say that he exceeded everyone's expectations, but he's not at the point where we can commit over 2M a year to the guy for 5 seasons.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Lets see how he is playing in December next season before locking him up. The guy might not be top 6 material next year.

No doubt hey, this board loves to over hype dmen that surprise, Davidson, Benning. Then they under rate a player like Nurse?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I still take that risk. Id have no issue with Marincin or Davidson still locked up long term at a good rate. Marincin is still getting rave reviews from leaf fans, Mtl fans like Davidson

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I still take that risk. Id have no issue with Marincin or Davidson still locked up long term at a good rate. Marincin is still getting rave reviews from leaf fans, Mtl fans like Davidson
6-7 D men don't require term. They are dime a dozen players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad