The Matrix Awakens (PS5, Xbox Series X/S) - Unreal Engine 5 Tech Demo

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I highly recommend downloading this demo to anyone who owns one of these consoles. It's indisputably the best example of next-gen tech that we've seen thus far.

I would like to see a PC version where it can run at a smoother frame rate but either way this is incredibly impressive. Can't wait to see actual games that use this technology.

Reactions: pistolpete11

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Highly impressive, especially when flying around the city. The framerate is garbage though when you drive or fly trough busy areas in high speed.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Highly impressive, especially when flying around the city. The framerate is garbage though when you drive or fly trough busy areas in high speed.
Yep it's pretty rough, though from what I've heard this was made by a small team with little optimization. Either way it does make you wonder about whether we will once again see games running exclusively at 30 FPS on console if developers begin targeting this level of fidelity.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yep it's pretty rough, though from what I've heard this was made by a small team with little optimization. Either way it does make you wonder about whether we will once again see games running exclusively at 30 FPS on console if developers begin targeting this level of fidelity.
I don't think so, this was a pretty big project. Around 50 people plus the Coalition for Xbox also worked on it.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I don't think so, this was a pretty big project. Around 50 people plus the Coalition for Xbox also worked on it.
For an AAA project that is a small team. For example The Last of Us Pt 2 had over 2000 developers work on the project. We also know The Coalition is working on Gears 6 so its doubtful they had a large amount of their team to working on this.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As far as I'm aware it's not leading to anything they aren't making a game so there is no point

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What games are even confirmed to be getting made in Unreal 5 at the moment? The only ones that seem to be coming anytime soon I can think of are Hellblade 2 and Redfall (and likely whatever the coalition is working on). Sony's big studios have traditionally used their own in-house engines (I believe Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Insomniac, and Santa Monica have proprietary engines, that I'd be surprised to see abandoned) outside of Returnal and Days Gone which were made in Unreal 4. Square is pushing Luminious, Ubisoft has their two proprietary engines, EA seems obsessed with using that garbage Frostbite. Obviously, it will become the most used engine, just like Unreal has since the iD Tech engines stopped being licensed. Just wondering when we are going to finally start seeing it in action.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
One of the more interesting things to come out of this demo is the temporal super resolution (upscaling) feature. It looks good and the fact that it will be available for every game using the engine is huge.
What games are even confirmed to be getting made in Unreal 5 at the moment? The only ones that seem to be coming anytime soon I can think of are Hellblade 2 and Redfall (and likely whatever the coalition is working on). Sony's big studios have traditionally used their own in-house engines (I believe Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Insomniac, and Santa Monica have proprietary engines, that I'd be surprised to see abandoned) outside of Returnal and Days Gone which were made in Unreal 4. Square is pushing Luminious, Ubisoft has their two proprietary engines, EA seems obsessed with using that garbage Frostbite. Obviously, it will become the most used engine, just like Unreal has since the iD Tech engines stopped being licensed. Just wondering when we are going to finally start seeing it in action.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is using UE5 as well, comes out April 28th.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Square has completely abandoned luminous. Forspoken, which is made by luminous studios is an UE5 game. Square is fully onboard unreal engine.

Although I will say that the game does look very FF15, so maybe they've moved some legacy luminous stuff over to Unreal.

Edit: lol, I'm dumb, it's running on the luminous engine.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Square has completely abandoned luminous. Forspoken, which is made by luminous studios is an UE5 game. Square is fully onboard unreal engine.

Although I will say that the game does look very FF15, so maybe they've moved some legacy luminous stuff over to Unreal.
I've seen nothing on Forspoken being made in Unreal. There was an article today saying it's using the same engine as Final Fantasy 15 which is Luminous.

Forspoken Interview: How Luminous Productions Is Learning Lessons From Final Fantasy 15

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's too bad that they're not releasing a PC version. I'm guessing that they don't want to bother because it'll take more work (to add M+K controls, support a greater variety of hardware and so on) and it's only a demo, not a game that people will pay for.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is using UE5 as well, comes out April 28th.

The screenshots for that are stunning... to the point that they may be too good to be true, but, even if they are, it should still look next gen.

Unreal Engine 5-powered S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 looks incredible in these new screenshots

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So I downloaded this on the series X. The characters were quite amazing as well as the city, the vehicles were on par with stuff that's currently out and FPS at around 30. I did some free roam around the city and they put quite a bit of detail into it.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Wow looks incredible. I'm definitely going to give it a try on the PS5 next time I get to my parents place.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This seems awesome and the perfect bridge to the holidays for me. Need something short, sweet, and something I won't get too invested in before I will be traveling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad