Post-Game Talk: The Masterpiece Part II | Pens Lose 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Nice work! I missed that interview, the one I was referencing was from the previous Friday.

Look I don't think Bombulie was ripping Depres 10 days ago when I caught the interview. He just said the team was slumping, and Depres was slumping - especially in his own end. He then said Samuelsson was WBS's best defenseman during this slump and deserved the call-up.

Players slump, especially young ones. I am just of the opinion Depres is better off working through a slump in the A, rather than with what appears to be an unsupportive NHL coaching staff.

That's it. I am a big Depres fan, but he's in a slump and that's what we saw last night. I doudt he plays well in his next game here, let's see what Ulfie's son has got now that he has had a taste of the NHL, then went back down and is crushing it.

Let Simon straighten out his game in WBS, then call him back up.

Oh, I'm with you. If Despres doesn't get to play here, or is used very sparingly, then yeah, let him play top minutes in WBS.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Oh, I'm with you. If Despres doesn't get to play here, or is used very sparingly, then yeah, let him play top minutes in WBS.

After getting sent down, Despres' defensive play has been bad. He'd sort it out pretty quickly if given a shot, but I can't see that happening.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
After getting sent down, Despres' defensive play has been bad. He'd sort it out pretty quickly if given a shot, but I can't see that happening.

I don't think it has been "bad". I do think it can be better.

I haven't liked his play in the defensive zone, while "defending". I don't think he has been a total wuss, but I don't think is playing as hard as he can, with the body or marking his man since being returned.

But he is so good at skating and getting to the puck and taking it out of danger, that he saves himself a lot of work in not having to defend without the puck. And his passing is still excellent.

Imo, even since returning he has STILL been the best player on WBS. Ulfie's son?? Yeah, he is playing well. But he just doesn't have the skill that Despres has. But is good at what he does. Playing within his limits. Playing smart, positional hockey. And it is difficult to judge them separately sometimes, because Despres and Samuelsson have such good chemistry. The really complement each other well.

If Pens management doesn't like him, one thing I can think of is that he still plays the way he wants to. He carries the puck whenever he wants. Leads rushes up the ice. Pretty much does whatever he wants, and I think a lot of is 'because he can'. He has the talent to go through and run the gauntlet through most AHL teams. And very few times this season has he been burned because he was playing aggressively. I am sure there is a fine line between playing "aggressive" and playing "recklessly". I call it aggressive, because it is working for him, and he is getting it done. But maybe the coaches don't see it that way, and they think he is reckless and simply not listening to them. Despres is gonna be Despres, is what comes to mind when I watch him. Then you contrast that to a guy like Harrington who plays within the system, and is probably a coaches' dream. Maybe that is one thing they don't like about Simon. But I dunno. trying to throw some possible reasons out there.

(now having said that, I have missed the last 3-4 WBS games before Simon was called up. So maybe he was putrid in those games, I dunno. But I have seen most of his games this year.)

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't think it has been "bad". I do think it can be better.

I haven't liked his play in the defensive zone, while "defending". I don't think he has been a total wuss, but I don't think is playing as hard as he can, with the body or marking his man since being returned.

But he is so good at skating and getting to the puck and taking it out of danger, that he saves himself a lot of work in not having to defend without the puck. And his passing is still excellent.

Imo, even since returning he has STILL been the best player on WBS. Ulfie's son?? Yeah, he is playing well. But he just doesn't have the skill that Despres has. But is good at what he does. Playing within his limits. Playing smart, positional hockey. And it is difficult to judge them separately sometimes, because Despres and Samuelsson have such good chemistry. The really complement each other well.

If Pens management doesn't like him, one thing I can think of is that he still plays the way he wants to. He carries the puck whenever he wants. Leads rushes up the ice. Pretty much does whatever he wants, and I think a lot of is 'because he can'. He has the talent to go through and run the gauntlet through most AHL teams. And very few times this season has he been burned because he was playing aggressively. I am sure there is a fine line between playing "aggressive" and playing "recklessly". I call it aggressive, because it is working for him, and he is getting it done. But maybe the coaches don't see it that way, and they think he is reckless and simply not listening to them. Despres is gonna be Despres, is what comes to mind when I watch him. Then you contrast that to a guy like Harrington who plays within the system, and is probably a coaches' dream. Maybe that is one thing they don't like about Simon. But I dunno. trying to throw some possible reasons out there.

(now having said that, I have missed the last 3-4 WBS games before Simon was called up. So maybe he was putrid in those games, I dunno. But I have seen most of his games this year.)

I didn't see any of that except in a controlled manner in the A or the NHL until they sent him down again. Since then, I'd agree. He has to get his head right quickly, though even if he did he'll probably get treated the same.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I didn't see any of that except in a controlled manner in the A or the NHL until they sent him down again. Since then, I'd agree. He has to get his head right quickly, though even if he did he'll probably get treated the same.

I agree.

Before he got called up to the Pens he was following the DB template. Get the puck north ASAP. And he was doing that at a ridiculous level. It was almost like he was afraid to hold the puck too long. And he was making great stretch passes, as he has good vision, and hockey sense. It looked like he was ingrained in what they wanted him to do from the previous season playing in Pittsburgh. But I think upon returning to WBS he said "F it, I gotsta be me, causing doing it their way didn't help me at all in sticking with the team."

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I thought Depres played fairly well upon going back down to the A. It was basically just those last half dozen games before the recall when his game fell off.

And I really want to see Littlle Ulfie get a couple more games in Pittsburgh this year. He has really picked up his game, and I want to see how it transitions to the NHL now that he had his cup of coffee and seems much better for it.

I think it's important for the team to know a bit more about what we have in him going into next season - assuming we don't trade him.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Look I don't think Bombulie was ripping Depres 10 days ago when I caught the interview.

Oh...

He was directly asked about Depres' game, and possibly getting a call up by Starkey. Said Simon has been bad in his own end for a couple weeks now and did not deserve a promotion, but that Samuelsson did.

Bombulie is on the radio every week here. A couple days before the call-up he was talking serious trash on Depres' game, and said he thought Samuelsson was WBS's best D right now, and should get the call up.

Anyway you guys should try to catch him on 93.7 as a regular guest in Starkey's show.

Hope you are right Iced, but I don't think you are. Bombulie was talking some serious **** on Depres before the call-up, at which point WBS had lost 7 in a row.

Simon is in a slump for sure. I just don't see that changing in Pittsburgh right now. Anyway - it will only take a couple more games like last night for you to see my point. Heard it here first.

I see...

Miss Ausguins

Needs moar Vodka
Jul 28, 2010
Straya
I am calling it now........

If the Pens fall to crap in the playoffs again, I have a feeling that Danny B (and possibly Ray too) will no longer be with the Pens. Maybe a player or two as well.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Since the thread's made a bit of a turn to Samuelsson, I have got to say that I just don't see it all regarding him. That said, I have only watched a handful of WBS games this season, but from watching him a good bit last season and his short stint with the Pens this year, I don't see him being anything more than a very marginal player at the NHL level. In particular, I think his puck skills (making your average outlets, not fumbling around a redirect from your partner, small things like that, etc.) will not cut the mustard in the NHL.

I just don't see anything about his game that makes me think, "he does this at an NHL level" and except for rare exceptions, like Scuderi for example, I have a hard time recalling a guy that doesn't have any particular part of his game stand out at the AHL level turn out to be something other than just another AHL/NHL yo-yo guy, waiver fodder, etc.

I know people will say that playing a safe, steady style is his game and that I shouldn't expect any type of "splash" plays from him, but I just don't see any aspect that I think will play at a meaningful level in the NHL. He's not a good skater, he has decent size and is not soft but he's not overtly physical, I touched on what I thought of his puck skills earlier, and so on. He's like a poor man's Brian Strait to me. Yeah, he can certainly improve on all that and has by all means is having his best season since being drafted, but I think looking at him as a guy with anything more than a 6/7th d-man at most outlook is more predicated with his name and high draft status. If he was just some late-round pick nobody, I don't think he would have as much perceived value.

Then again, I could be completely off-base, as I said, I've haven't watched enough of him this season to make any type of judgement on any type of improvements he's made to his game. I'm just so nonplussed by him, though that may be colored a bit by mainly watching him during his down period as a pro.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I was out and didn't get to see the game, but it's never a good sign when the Pens give up 5 and hardly anybody rags on goaltending.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
There was a gazillion odd man rushes against and the PP was atrocious. Pretty much sums up the game.

Fire Shero*

I am calling it now........

If the Pens fall to crap in the playoffs again, I have a feeling that Danny B (and possibly Ray too) will no longer be with the Pens. Maybe a player or two as well.

You are half right - the pens will get knocked out early in the playoff but dumb and dumber Shero and Bylsma will back.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Since the thread's made a bit of a turn to Samuelsson, I have got to say that I just don't see it all regarding him. That said, I have only watched a handful of WBS games this season, but from watching him a good bit last season and his short stint with the Pens this year, I don't see him being anything more than a very marginal player at the NHL level. In particular, I think his puck skills (making your average outlets, not fumbling around a redirect from your partner, small things like that, etc.) will not cut the mustard in the NHL.

I just don't see anything about his game that makes me think, "he does this at an NHL level" and except for rare exceptions, like Scuderi for example, I have a hard time recalling a guy that doesn't have any particular part of his game stand out at the AHL level turn out to be something other than just another AHL/NHL yo-yo guy, waiver fodder, etc.

I know people will say that playing a safe, steady style is his game and that I shouldn't expect any type of "splash" plays from him, but I just don't see any aspect that I think will play at a meaningful level in the NHL. He's not a good skater, he has decent size and is not soft but he's not overtly physical, I touched on what I thought of his puck skills earlier, and so on. He's like a poor man's Brian Strait to me. Yeah, he can certainly improve on all that and has by all means is having his best season since being drafted, but I think looking at him as a guy with anything more than a 6/7th d-man at most outlook is more predicated with his name and high draft status. If he was just some late-round pick nobody, I don't think he would have as much perceived value.

Then again, I could be completely off-base, as I said, I've haven't watched enough of him this season to make any type of judgement on any type of improvements he's made to his game. I'm just so nonplussed by him, though that may be colored a bit by mainly watching him during his down period as a pro.

Nah,
6/7th men, marginal prospect, that sounds about right.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I feel like this has pretty much run its course. The Hawks are a deeper, better team for now... we hope we get deeper this week. Let's move on to brighter topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad