The Master of Deflection

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also relevant

yost1.JPG

To be fair, the four guys ahead of Crosby live in front of the net. Sid's totals are pretty impressive for a guy who scores other ways.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've not seen anyone else that even comes close to Sid's level of eye-hand coordination. The craziness is that he makes plays like these literally every game.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
its weird someone put in all that work for the video and didn't include the deflection goal between his legs against the Flyers

Reactions: 99664987

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Does anyone know how the classification of "tip" vs. "deflection" differs on NHL.com's stats?

I feel like shots are a good stat to track for this, not just goals. There's an element of luck involved with it being a goal or not, you're just trying to catch the goalie off guard with a change of direction.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Wasn't Joe Nieuwendyk very good at deflecting puck as well ? Not trying to open a debate vs Crosby, just want to hear some opinion.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Also relevant

yost1.JPG

To be fair, the four guys ahead of Crosby live in front of the net. Sid's totals are pretty impressive for a guy who scores other ways.

JvR seems really low,considering like 90% of his goals are with like 7 feet of the net.
Do you have a chart for goals within 5 feet of the net? Interested to see who some of the best greasy goal scorers are.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I heard a stat the other night that Pavelski has the most tip in goals over the last 3-4 years. Sid has some fancier tip ins, but Pavs is pretty stellar in his own right.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
JvR seems really low,considering like 90% of his goals are with like 7 feet of the net.
Do you have a chart for goals within 5 feet of the net? Interested to see who some of the best greasy goal scorers are.

They used to have nifty heatmaps of where each player is shooting from, but they stopped tracking it in 2015-16 :(

But anyway, here's some data from 2010-2016.

kgMKsF6.png

JVR is low on the ranking I posted because it's deflections only. JVR only had 13 of those. But he had 92 tip-in's which includes rebounds and grounded one-timers. He's very adept around the net, as you can see from the orange.

Reactions: HavocWreaker

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
They used to have nifty heatmaps of where each player is shooting from, but they stopped tracking it in 2015-16 :(

But anyway, here's some data from 2010-2016.

kgMKsF6.png

JVR is low on the ranking I posted because it's deflections only. JVR only had 13 of those. But he had 92 tip-in's which includes rebounds and grounded one-timers. He's very adept around the net, as you can see from the orange.

Yeah saw a chart where he was top 5 on goals within a certain amount of feet of the net this year.

Whatever team signs him doesn't have to worry about his goals, he's gonna get 25 minimum.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad