Movies: The Marvels

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was fun, made sense. The final fight was a bit meh. But I don't get the haters at all.

Iman Vellani is a treasure. A find in the tier between Tom Holland and dare I say it.. RDJR

X-Men is gonna have issues with the chuds and "wokeism".

X-Men kind of is about racism. Good luck tackling today.
It is as some "fans" never read the comics. Not expecting "woke" from Marvel who always were progressive?

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I thought this would reach Flash numbers at a bare minimum ($270 million). It looks like it will barely reach $200 million worldwide when all is said and done. The Marvels will likely be one of the biggest financial losers in history.

So far this year we have only had two superhero hits - Guardians 3 and Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse.

The rest have all been bombs, and most of those have been massive bombs - Shazam 2, Quantamania, The Flash, Blue Beetle, The Marvels. Early predictions forecast a massive upcoming bomb for the $200 million Aquaman 2.

2023 should mark the end of 10-12 superhero/comic book/graphic novel movie releases per year. Cut that back to 5 or so per year as it was in the early 2000s, and if the quality is there, the profits should return.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
The rest have all been bombs, and most of those have been massive bombs - Shazam 2, Quantamania, The Flash, Blue Beetle, The Marvels. Early predictions forecast a massive upcoming bomb for the $200 million Aquaman 2.
You can see why most of these bombed and they should have never been given the greenlight.

I did not see Ant Man Quantamania yet, I thought that one would do well. Why did that one bomb? I enjoyed the first Ant Man movie

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
You can see why most of these bombed and they should have never been given the greenlight.

I did not see Ant Man Quantamania yet, I thought that one would do well. Why did that one bomb? I enjoyed the first Ant Man movie
You, me, and many others would be a good reason for its failure.

Multiverse nonsense, millions of Kang the Conquerors, Jonathan Majors, and after the near perfectly executed Infinity Gauntlet feast, this stuff is like:
giphy.gif

Aquaman 2 is starting in the toilet as well it seems.

I'm more curious about what they do with standalone movies again like Joker: Folie à Deux and the eventual The Batman 2.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

When Captain Marvel makes over a billion , do you really think Disney/Marvel is like , "Nah, we're good without making another movie" .

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dropped on D+ yesterday and finally watched it. Really enjoyed it, with its ties to the MCU and how it's adds a valuable piece to the multiverse saga, with some awesome things at the end.

As a standalone superhero movie though I'd definitely subpar. It's shorter length led to less dialogue for better character development and made the move feeling rushed. Because of the backstories of each character and the number of previous MCU projects this ties into, a casual MCU fan who hasn't watched everything would probably feel very confused.

Great action scenes, Vellani is excellent and they did a great job with her character.. loved that they included her family in this. They didn't try to make this too serious in tone.

But as a fan who is heavily invested in the MCU this was a great movie to add into the broader picture. Tying into the mystery of Carol during those 30 years between the first Captain Marvel and the Avengers, Valkyrie taking in refugee aliens (which likely ties into the next Captain America movie), etc.

Also getting into the quantum bands and laying ground work for what's looking like an incursion in the next Avengers movie. I think there were just a lot of great pieces that we are finally starting to see the multiverse saga start to unfold at the "ground level" of the main MCU earth.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well. I finally saw this.

I give it a passing grade.

The leads did a good job but I found the humour to be a bit forced and uneven, with the singing planet and the cats swallowing the entire crew of SABER on par with the goats in Thor: Love and War.

Just a little too far on the side of silly.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Well. I finally saw this.

I give it a passing grade.

The leads did a good job but I found the humour to be a bit forced and uneven, with the singing planet and the cats swallowing the entire crew of SABER on par with the goats in Thor: Love and War.

Just a little too far on the side of silly.
I think I'm the only one who thought the goats were a gem. Didn't really care for The Marvels, wasn't too high on Miss Marvel either. I liked Captain Marvel ok, and thought WandaVision was great until the half point, and good after that.

I don't understand how they made the villain stronger than Captain Marvel and still such a boring non-threat.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I think I'm the only one who thought the goats were a gem. Didn't really care for The Marvels, wasn't too high on Miss Marvel either. I liked Captain Marvel ok, and thought WandaVision was great until the half point, and good after that.

I don't understand how they made the villain stronger than Captain Marvel and still such a boring non-threat.
Some reasons I found.

She was too easy to track
She was too easy to beat
There wasn't enough lost in the way to the fight
There wasn't enough learnt on the way to the fight

The movie was still enjoyable somehow. Mostly because of Kamala and her family who somehow were amazing fighters.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad