The market for Gardiner is being evaluated

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
Not sure if you are slaggin Rc 's use of kostka last year. What team signed him?? Does he not play for the 2 time stanley cup winners now?? Seems they saw something in him too?? Guess you know better.Our coach with 1 cup , a team with 2 plays kostka, but you wouldn't. Philly and Buffalo will be looking for a GM soon, you should apply.
Randy plays whoever is playing up to his ablility and within the teams concept. Komi,sit,waived,bought out. Connelly,sit,waived,walk.
Liles your not, sit, waived. Mac your not, sit, walk. Grabbo your not, 3rd line, bought out. Gardner, sit, sent to AHl, sit?, Trade???

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Not sure if you are slaggin Rc 's use of kostka last year. What team signed him?? Does he not play for the 2 time stanley cup winners now?? Seems they saw something in him too?? Guess you know better.Our coach with 1 cup , a team with 2 plays kostka, but you wouldn't. Philly and Buffalo will be looking for a GM soon, you should apply.
Randy plays whoever is playing up to his ablility and within the teams concept. Komi,sit,waived,bought out. Connelly,sit,waived,walk.
Liles your not, sit, waived. Mac your not, sit, walk. Grabbo your not, 3rd line, bought out. Gardner, sit, sent to AHl, sit?, Trade???

Yes Carlyle won the cup but he did it on a very strong team, one that had Pronger and Niedermayer on defense. I think that team was truly a case of a team winning way more on its own strength than on its coaching.

I feel like the Leafs are doing damage to the team having gotten rid of one extremely skilled player and now maybe another one to fit into the vision of a coach who, imo, will not get us very far. A great coach should be able to maximize the play of his best players. I don't see Carlyle trying to do that.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Cue the panic.

Which is it:
a) "There is definitely some level of conversation going on"
or
b)"This is PURELY my speculation"

It's both? If you read the quote, it clearly states that the Leafs are having some level of conversation (tangent, Nonis has always stated he'll listen to offers for any player...). Friedman then goes on to speculate about which teams MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT. Not that this talk is speculation

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maybe its Carlyle to blame for Gardiner's production.
Juss sayin.

Why would Gardiner want to play for a coach that repeatedly takes him down in the media, discuss it one on one if you need to but stop throwing your player under the bus and making him front page news.

I'd bet anything Carlyle discusses hos thoughts one on one with the Players not through the media.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
How can they trade Gardiner for O'Reilly and make it work under the cap? We've got like $20,000 in cap space. The only way a deal for O'Reilly happens is if Colorado takes significant salary with Jake in a return and there's no way that's happening.
If you really think that the cap is what would hold deals back you need to give your head a shake.

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
Rc and lupul situation in Ana all over again. Getting annoyed with RC's love and hate of certain players. Remember kostka last year?

Carlyle has played Gardiner 20+ minutes and 2nd unit PP time. He just hasn't produced. And I like how everyone brings up Lupul, which is so hypocritical because everyone including Leaf fans considered him a salary dump in that trade.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
um?

of course a GM is going to get feedback from his coach... why keep around a player if they dont fit (Grabovski)? Nonis brought in Bolland to suit Carlyle's coaching style more... as every good GM should do
Lol i know right, all that dude does is ***** and hates Carlyle because his lover Kadri isnt getting 22 mins a game.

Nonis traded for Gardiner, he knows what hes worth, hes not gunna trade him away for nothing.

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
Biggestleaf I would have to disagree with your assessment of Carlyle. If anything he plays the players in positions to succeed. Franson,Kadri, Gardner, Fraser, Ranger, Raymond, Bodie. etc. By using them when neccassaary in protected minutes or by increasing their ice time. when their play dictates.
If you are referring to Grabbos as your skilled player, he got outplayed by Kadri last year. Refused to accept his 3rd line role. Already this year we have seen RC move Bolland and KAdri between those spots.
Only in Leafland where we have not made the playoffs in almost 10 years would fans complain about the coach that did.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm sure every player on the Leafs, including Kessel, could be had for the right price.

Gardiner looks more dynamic than Rielly. Rielly kind of looks like Ian White the way he skates and carries the puck. White had a lot of fans here, I wasn't one of them, and the 3-4 teams he's been on since haven't exactly clamoured all over themselves to retain him either.

I'm hoping that is the extent of how Rielly reminds me of White.

He is taller than White, but around the same size.

Attitude? From what I've read night versus day.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/prospects/morgan-rielly/

Notable quotes:
“Rielly has better hands than many forwards in the 2012 classâ€
- McKeen’s 2012 Draft guide

“I’ve seen Rielly do things on the ice that nobody else was doing. I saw him make those little passes to guys who weren’t expecting the puck to get there. He’s the type of player who can lead the rush and he’ll be the first guy back. I think his creativity makes him one of the top players in the league. He’s like a chess player; he’s thinking one or two moves ahead. He sees stuff coming that a lot of players don’t see.â€
– NHL Central Scouting’s Blair MacDonald

To me it looks like he's really trying to pick his spots, whereas Gardiner is thinking let's go!

Right now:
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-Gardiner
Rielly-whoever

or

Franson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Rielly-whoever

glg51*

Dominates in the pre-season...

Has 3 "average" games to start the season and he's trade bait? What clown made this up.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm sure every player on the Leafs, including Kessel, could be had for the right price.

Gardiner looks more dynamic than Rielly. Rielly kind of looks like Ian White the way he skates and carries the puck. White had a lot of fans here, I wasn't one of them, and the 3-4 teams he's been on since haven't exactly clamoured all over themselves to retain him either.

I'm hoping that is the extent of how Rielly reminds me of White.

He is taller than White, but around the same size.

Attitude? From what I've read night versus day.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/prospects/morgan-rielly/

Notable quotes:

To me it looks like he's really trying to pick his spots, whereas Gardiner is thinking let's go!

Right now:
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-Gardiner
Rielly-whoever

or

Franson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Rielly-whoever

Problem is Rielly is not a third pairing defenceman. I would imagine this is why the Leafs would be entertaining offers for Gardiner and most likely for a high end center prospect similar to Gardiner is on D. Since Gardiner is NHL ready, a team could, say, trade a higher value forward who isn't quite there but projects as a 1 or 2C. Plus the defence market is pretty hot right now which will drive his price up even more.

Can't believe people are still responding to that massive troll in this thread.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

So name a top young center a team is willing to trade with #1C potential

I don't think there is one. Teams who have a player with that type of potential aren't anxious to give him up. And the way you get players like that is by drafting high - and a lot of the time teams drafting near the top of the draft don't have a fantastic 1c themselves.

This is one of the reasons I wanted the Leafs to draft Filip Forsberg rather than Rielly. But who really knows now, I'm happy with Rielly he should be good.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
I also agree Gardiner is more dynamic than Rielly. More potential to be a superstar defenseman if he can tighten up his turnovers.

Rielly is quicker than White, better puck handling skills, and is quite a bit bigger.. White may have had the better shot. I see the similarities in thickness and the way they skate but Rielly will be infinitely better IMO

Knee Lander

Sep 16, 2013
Just for fun imagine if we could trade Bozak instead of Kadri to get ROR.

Bozak + Gardiner + 1st rounder + prospect for ROR

JVR - ROR - Kessel
Lupal - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kuli (cant spell name)

Have ROR and Kadri fight it out for top spot!! That is something to dream about.
I was thinking the exact same thing, but for Tavares.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Is there anying out in Alberta that would be worth Reimer+Gardiner? both teams seem like they could use a #1 goalie.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I'm glad management doesn't have the emotional attachment to players that many posters on here seem to have.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It's the media, making speculation is the business. I mean we're not 0-3 so they have to find something more interesting to talk about.

I doubt Gardiner is moved. Let's face it the only thing we would really move him for is a center with top line potential and those guys just aren't moved. Let the media stir the pot, but I doubt anything comes from it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Why are people in love with Ryan OReilly is it the fact that he has never scored 20 goals in a season? Is it the fact he has only recorded 30 assists in a season once? Or is it because he was selected ahead of Taylor Hall in the OHL draft and that immediately makes him better? I have seen OReilly a bit and nothing really stands out at least to the point to think he's a future #1 or #2 center and to consider moving Gardiner, Kadri and a 1st? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
So name a top young center a team is willing to trade with #1C potential

Well first I think we'll have to say that a top young Centre with as good a chance of becoming a #1 C as Gardiner has a chance of becoming a #1 D... Gardiner definitely isn't worth the likes of MacKinnon, Galchenyuk, etc for example.

A few guys who I think might have comparable value (add small pieces to one side or the other to balance it out) and who also might be available due to depth at C.

ROR -Duchene, MacKinnon, and Stastny could make him expendable, not to mention their other forwards like Landeskog, Downie, Parenteau, etc. He obviously can't be moved until February. ROR probably has the upside to be a Pavelski type, really strong defensively, good for 60+ points.

Granlund - M. Koivu and Coyle could make him expendable, + Parise and others. They could use another PMD.

Hertl - Couture and Pavelski, /maybe Thornton/Marleau if they get resigned, could make Hertl expendable. SJ has depth on the blueline, but not in terms of PMD, especially considering Boyle's age.

Couturier - Giroux, B. Schenn, Lecavalier, and Read make him expendable. Very strong defensively, but has been given very little opportunity offensively (playing mostly with scrubs in a defensive role).

Strome - Tavares, Nielsen, and the emergence of Brock Nelson could allow them to move Strome. They have some good Dmen coming up the system, but with Streit gone, they could use a PMD right now.

None of these guys are considered to have MacKinnon, Tavares, Stamkos, etc upside, unless they really break expectations. But then again, Gardiner isn't exactly expected to have Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, etc upside himself, unless he breaks expectations.

Not all would work in 1 for 1 scenarios, but I think these guys are at least fairly close in value to Gardiner.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nonis should end up in the Hospital every single time he contemplates trading Gardiner.

Actually, having experienced a cardiac arrest on Jan 12th of this year, I don't wish any health issues on Nonis, but, I think he should hang onto Gardiner for now.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why are people in love with Ryan OReilly is it the fact that he has never scored 20 goals in a season? Is it the fact he has only recorded 30 assists in a season once? Or is it because he was selected ahead of Taylor Hall in the OHL draft and that immediately makes him better? I have seen OReilly a bit and nothing really stands out at least to the point to think he's a future #1 or #2 center and to consider moving Gardiner, Kadri and a 1st? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually, Gardiner, Kadri, and a first, better get you Matt Duchene plus a mid range prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->